You are not logged in.
The Wartime Memories Project - Remembering those who served during The Great War

The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you agree to accept cookies.

If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.

    Site Home

    Great War


    Add Stories & Photos


    Allied Army

    Day by Day

    War in the Air

    Prisoners of War

    War at Sea

    Training for War

    The Battles

    Those Who Served


    Civilian Service

    Women at War

    Life on Home Front

    Central Powers Army

    Central Powers Navy


    World War Two


    Add Stories & Photos

    Time Capsule


    Help & FAQ's

    Our Facebook Page




    Contact us

    Great War Books



World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great

Those Who Served


A       B       C       D       E       F       G       H       I       J       K       L       M       N       O       P       Q       R       S       T       U       V       W       X       Y       Z      


Pte. George Eaddie

Army Royal Army Medical Corps.

My Great Uncle Pvt George Eaddie served in Egypt, Sulva Bay, Dardernelles & The Western Front with the RAMC.


2nd Lt. Alymer Eade

British Army 3rd Btn. The King's Regiment (Liverpool)


(d.9th Oct 1917)


Lt. Alfred Bailey Eades

Australian Imperial Force 2nd Field Artillery Brigade


(d.12th Nov 1918)

Alfred Bailey Eades was born at Essendon, Victoria in 1895 to parents Arthur and Louisa. Prior to the First World War, he served for two years with the 25th Battery of the 8th Field Artillery Brigade, Citizen Military Forces where he attained the rank of sergeant in 1914. A clerk by trade, he enlisted in Melbourne on 7th May 1915 at the age of 20. On 10th August 1915, he departed Melbourne aboard RMS Persia with the 2nd Field Artillery Brigade and the rank of gunner. Eade's cousin, General Sir Cyril Brudenall Bingham White also served during the First World War.

After landing at Gallipoli on 13th of October 1915, Eades was transferred to the 2nd Brigade Ammunition Column and remained on the peninsula until the evacuation in December. In February 1916, he was transferred to the 4th Division Artillery and in March 1916 he was again transferred to the 12th Field Artillery Brigade. Eades was promoted through the ranks to second lieutenant in June 1916 and lieutenant in February 1917.

He died on 12th November 1918 at the 3rd London General Hospital due to complications from influenza at the age of 23. Alfred Eades is buried at Brookwood Military Cemetery, United Kingdom.


Sgt. Cyril Edgar Eades

British Army 11th Btn. Middlesex Regiment

Cyril Eades served with the 11th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment during WW1.


Pte. Robert Alfred Eades

British Army 12th (West Somerset Yeomanry) Bn. Somerset Light Infantry

(d.2nd September 1918)

Robert Alfred Eades was killed in action on the 2nd of September 1918 and is commemorated on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial in France.


Pfc. Edgar James Eadon

United States Army 56th Infantry Regiment

from:New York City

My Grandfather Edgar Eadon enlisted in the US Army on 25 Jun 1918 and served in France from 3 Aug 1918 through 27 Jun 1919 with the 7th Infantry Division, 56th Infantry Regiment. His battles listed on his discharge were Premy Ridge, Occupation Privenelle Sector, West of Moselle, and Second Army Offensive.

He died when my father was young so I never knew him. My Grandfather's civilian job was a telephone operator when he enlisted by became an accountant after the war. It is interesting he is listed as being 5'7" tall yet my father was 6'2". My father remembered my grandfather as very anti-military and had said he would kill my father before he would let him in the Army! This is ironic as my father later served in the US Army in World War II and I served in the US Air Force in the Vietnam War. I think my grandfather's ill will towards the Army stems from the Second Army Offensive, which took place right before the Armistice. I believe many of his friends were killed taking German positions that were to be given up a few hours later by the Germans when then Armistice took place. The Generals were after Glory because there was no other logical reason for that attack.


Pte. Amos Eady

British Army 2nd Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers

from:18 Mount St. Bethnal Green, London

(d.30th July 1918)


Pte Frederick James Eagle

British Army 1st Btn. Essex Regiment

from:Wendling, Norfolk

(d.23rd Apr 1917)

Frederick Eagle served with the 1st Btn, Essex Regiment.


George Dodson Eagle

British Army 3rd Battalion Dorset Regiment

from:Croxton, Norfolk

(d.3rd April 1916)

George Dodson Eagle was my grandfather, he was Harry Eagle's brother.

If anyone is related to George Dodson Eagle or Harry Eagle, who came from Croxton by Thetford in Norfolk, and they want to get in touch with me, please do so.


Drmr. Eaglefield

British Army Grenadier Guards

Drummer Eaglefield was a prisoner at Gustrow POW camp. He lost both feet through frostbite, caused by outside Appells held in all weather.


Pte. James Eaglen

British Army 7th Btn. West Yorkshire Regiment


James Eaglen was invalided home and after several months of treatment was discharged unfit for further action in February 1917.


CPO William Eagles

Royal Navy HMS Caroline


My Grandfather, William Eagles was born at Great Malvern in 1873 and died in Purbrook near Portsmouth in 1963. He served as a stoker with the Royal Navy from 28 June 1898 to 14 July 1920. He served in Shore Establishments at Crystal Palace, Singapore and Portsmouth on twelve separate occasions. On the 1911 Census he is listed at HMS St Vincent, Portland, Dorset. He served on HMS Fearless during the Battle of Heligoland Blight, August 1914, and the Battle of Jutland, May 1916.

Other ships he served on were: 1 April 1899 to 12 April 1899 and again 14 January 1903 to 30 September 1903 aboard Warship HMS Duke of Wellington, 17 June 1899 to 25 July 1899 aboard Cruiser HMS Crescent, 25 July 1899 to 13 January 1903 aboard Cruiser HMS Indefatigable, 29 October 1903 to 8 February 1904 aboard Yacht HMS Enchantress, 1 March 1904 to 18 January 1905 aboard Battleship HMS Hercules, 9 May 1905 to 26 April 1907 aboard Battleship HMS Goliath, 13 August 1907 to 1 May 1908 aboard Cruiser HMS Grafton, 2 May 1908 to 17 January 1909 aboard Cruiser HMS Sapphire, 27 August 1909 to 12 February 1910 aboard Cruiser HMS Eclipse, 3 May 1910 to 27 May 1912 aboard Battleship HMS St Vincent, 1 June 1912 to 5 June 1912 aboard Cruiser HMS Vindictive, 9 July 1912 to 18 December 1912 aboard Battleship HMS Renown, 14 October 1913 to 17 July 1916 aboard Cruiser HMS Fearless and 8 March 1919 to 14 July 1920 aboard Light Cruiser HMS Caroline


Pte. Matthew Eaglesham

British Army 24th (Tyneside Irish) Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers


Matthew Eaglesham was wounded in 1st July 1916


Sgt. Todd Eaglesham MM.

British Army 10th Btn. Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

from:Gorbals, Glasgow

(d.28th Mar 1918)

Todd Eaglesham and his younger brother John headed for the battlefields of France with the 10th Battalion of The Cameronians. Todd was soon to prove himself as a soldier and before long was promoted to sergeant.

A fighter by nature he was in December of 1916 awarded the Military Medal. Sadly two years later on the 28th of March he was killed in action in the Battle of Arras. One historian described that day "if ever the lid was lifted from hell, then the 28th of March 1918 was the day it happened". Another quote from the book on the history of The Tenth Battalion, The Cameronians reads "At the same time the battalion lost a most devoted and gallant NCO in Sgt Eaglesham, the provost sergeant, who had been with the battalion from the first. He also had won the Military Medal". There are a couple of pages on what happened, and a report from a public meeting in Edinburgh in 1919 where Earl Haig referred to 'one of the most gallant of the minor incidents of the battle was a counter attack by a single company of the 10th Battalion Scottish Rifles.'

The counter attack was by C company under Captain Munro towards the Feuchy Chapel crossroads. The order was countermanded and the company had to disengage from a considerably superior enemy. Captain Robb and Lt Robb who was wounded both won the Military Cross, and Sgt Barlow The Distinguished Conduct Medal, the latter accounted for fifteen of the enemy with his own rifle during the withdrawal. The original company position had been astride the Arras Cambrai road. This 'line' consisted of incomplete trenches, in most places 3 feet deep and about 7 feet wide. they found 55 newly arrived men waiting for them. These were posted for the night to the reserve Company - C. Many of them were destined to remain unknown to them by name, for at 3am an intensive enemy bombardment of gas and high explosive shell opened, killing most and causing numerous casualties. Lt Col Stanley Clarke was awarded an immediate bar to his DSO following this action.

Sergeant Todd Eaglesham is shown in the book as getting his Military Medal on 16th of September 1916. The same day that the tank had been used for the very first time ever in the battlefield. This possibly followed the 10th Battalions involvement on 15th Sept 1916, tanks and Scotsmen, a potent force!


Bmdr. Sidney Harris Eales

British Army 156th Brigade, 'C' Battery Royal Field Artillery

from:3 Thompsons Yard, Midland Road, Wellingboro' Northants

(d.27th April 1917)

Sidney Eales died of wounds received aged just 21. He had originally enlisted and been assigned to the 3rd Bedfordshire Regiment service no. 7085. He was transferred to the Royal Regiment of Artillery (RFA and RHA) in January 1915 and posted to the 142nd Battery at Bordon. He is buried at Etaples Military Cemetery, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France. Sidney was the son of my Great Great Grandfather's daughter Martha Eales nee Abbott who died in 1954, I have no further information available at present.


Pte. H. Eames

British Army 11th Btn. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

(d.1st Jul 1916)


Pte. John Eardley

British Army Manchester Regiment

(d.4th Jun 1915)

Private John Eardley, Manchester Regiment, served on the Gallipoli Peninsula since the landings in April. In civilian life he was an avid autograph collector. After his death on the 4th of June 1915 a postcard was found in his trench which read: “A man who goes on calmly hunting autographs with all civilization crumbling around him, and the Turkish enemy not far below the horizon, really deserves to succeed. So here goes, G Bernard Shaw”.


Pte. Arthur Edward Earl

British Army 2nd Btn, 'A' Company Norfolk Regiment

from:104 Aylsham Road, Norwich

My father, Arthur Earl, enlisted aged 18 with the Norfolks in 1915, serving with the 7th & 2nd Btns, in France until the end of the WW1 war. Being wounded by gunshot on two separate occasions and then went on to serve in Waziristan and Pakistan and was discharged in 1927.

He vary rarely mentioned the war to me, only saying that he served in the Indian region and how he played football against the locals, who did not wear boots and when the football bladder burst how they used to play on with the ball stuffed with straw. It is only this week that I have found out that he served in France, although he did say once that he used a machine gun during the war. Dad died at the age of 72 in 1969.


Spr. Edward William Earl

Australian Imperial Forces 1st Coy. AustralianTunneling Corps

from:Geelong, Victoria, Australia

(d.28th Jul 1917)


Pte. Robert Henry Earl

British Army 2nd Battalion South Wales Borderers


(d.13 April 1917)

Robert's headstone in Feuchy Chapel British Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France

Robert's headstone in Feuchy Chapel British Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France

My husband's great uncle who died 13 April 1917 in France. Here is a poem he sent to his local paper from the front:

"Doing your Little Bit"

  • 'When the Allemans blow off your hat, or helmet with a crump
  • When the ariel torpedoes scarcely give you time to jump:
  • When you're always in the hottest place, and never have no luck:
  • ... ...
  • When the whizz-bangs come so thick you haven't time to duck:
  • When trench mortars, bombs and shrapnel seem to have a love for you:
  • When trying to retaliate other guns shell you too:
  • When you hear the bullets singing, and your head they nearly hit:
  • Never mind but just remember, you are doing your little bit.
  • When you're sleeping on a firestep, with your blanket soaking wet
  • When the mud is in your eyes and mouth and in your hair you bet,
  • When the rain comes through your dug out roof and drips down on your nose
  • When your feet are blinking icebergs, and you cannot feel your toes
  • When the neighbours in your shirt are dancing.......
Sadly I dont have details of the end of the poem, but it paints a picture of life on the front

Another letter he wrote to the West Cumberland Times 28/9/1916

Dear Sir, Just a few lines to let you know that I am back in the firing line again, and hoping that it won't be long before the war is over. I was very sorry that I was not in when you sent me the grand parcel of Old Toms: I was hit three days before the landed and I was along day down the line by then. My platoon Sergeant told me that he shared them among my platoon so you can see that they did not get lost. I don't think it will be long before I am down the line again for when I walk any way fast the piece of shrapnel that is in my thigh gives me stick. Wishing you and all the readers of the 'Star' every success. My sergeant and all my platoon send their best wishes to all the town people who support the 'Star' Smoke Fund. Good Night and best of luck to you all

Robert is buried in Feuchy Chapel British cemetery Pas de Calais France. We visited his grave in 2009. Such a moving experience


Pte. Thomas Earl

British Army 8th Btn. Border Regiment


(d.14th Jul 1916)

Thomas Earl was the boyfriend of my grandmother on my mother's side. They were both sweethearts living in Carlisle, and they were going to marry after he came back from the war (so the story goes). Of course he never did, and was killed in action on 14th July 1916. I wonder if I would be here today if those events did not happen. What a different world the place would be when you multiply all the ifs and buts of WW1. What a different place this country would be.

Thomas Earl is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France.


Pte. William J. Earl

British Army 1/7th Btn. Lancashire Fusiliers


(d.27th May 1918)

William Earl was executed for desertion 27th May 1918 age 22 and buried in Warlincourt Halte British Cemetery, Saulty, France. He was the son of George and Lillian Earl, of 14, Earl St., Lower Broughton, Manchester. During his court martial he simple said that he was fed up with the war. His CWGC headstone is inscribed "Those miss him most Who loved him best".


Pte. Edwin Earlam

British Army 2nd/4th Btn. E Coy. Royal Berkshire Regiment

from:Reddish, Stockport.

(d.22nd Aug 1917)

Edwin Earlam is buried in Tyne Cot Cemetery.


Pte. John Henry Earlam

British Army 1st Btn Loyal North Lancashire


(d.18th April 1918)


Cpl. William Herbert Earle

British Army 12th Btn. Gloucestershire Regiment

from:College Rd., Northleach, Gloucestershire

(d.8th May 1917)

William Herbert Earle was my great-uncle on my father's side. He was only 22 when he was shot in Arras, France. I decided to look into his service records which I have achieved to bring him closer to our lives. When growing up my father had a very hard time talking about the story of how he died. All we knew was he joined the Gloucestershire Regiment then he was shot (not long after he enlisted) on the 8th of May 1917.

I was given a gold locket from my grandmother with his photo encased in it and now I have some documentation to go with it. I also found his Arras memorial obituary, and although it's not a lot I now have a story to put with his photo. After WW2 my parents moved to Canada where I was born and war stories were kept limited - gone long ago but never forgotten


Pte Sidney Earles

British Army 18th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers

from:65 Lancefield Street, Paddington, London

(d.23rd Oct 1917)

Sidney Earles was born in 1898 in Hull, Yorks, he died during war service aged 19 in 1917. Son of Mr Henry Earles & Mrs Emily Earles.


Pte. Sidney Earnest Earley

British Army 2nd Btn. D Company Hampshire Regiment


(d.5th Feb 1915)

Hamphire Privates Sad Death.

The ranks of D Company, 2nd Battalion, Hampshire Regiment, have been deprived by death of a genial, virile, and popular comrade in Private Sydney E. Earley, whose home was at Winchester. Earley came to Stratford with the battalion about a month ago, and was quartered in Bridge-street. His vivacious nature quickly won him friends among the civil population, and sporting proclivities led to his being selected captain of the victorious Hants.XI, which recently engaged Stratford in a football match on Pearcecroft. The weather of the past month, trying as it has been to those accustomed to the vagaries of our climate, has proved infinitely more so to soldiers lately quartered under Indian Skies, and Earley was among the many members of the battalion who contracted chills of a more or less acute type.

On the 20th of last month his condition was such that it was deemed advisable to remove him to the Town Hall Hospital, where unremitting care and attention were at his disposal. He failed to rally, and death ensued on Friday from a malignant form of pneumonia. Late in the evening the body was removed to the mortuary near the Parish Church, and the interment took place on Saturday afternoon. Many years have rolled by since a military funeral of similar proportions was witnessed in the borough. At the cemetery gates the coffin was taken from the transport and borne shoulder-high to the grave, the Vicar and Rural Dean being at the head of the procession. The long line of khaki was relieved only by the bright hues of the flag of liberty and justice and the sorrowing figures clad in the habiliments of mourning. At the close of the service three volleys rang out from the rifles of the firing party, and the bugler sounded The Last Post as a tribute to their departed comrade. In addition to the floral tributes from the family, handsome wreaths were sent by Major Beckwith and Lieutenant White; the commandants, sisters, and staff of the Town Hall Hospital; M., his friend D Company, 2nd Battalion Hampshire Regiments; sergeants of D Company; and his comrades in platoon number 16. The coffin was of polished elm, and the breastplate bore the inscription; Sydney E. Earley No. 8014, 2nd Hampshire Regt., died February 5th. 1915, aged 27 years. The funeral arrangements were in the hands of Mr. H. Humphreys.

Stratford-upon-Avon Herald 12th February 1915

A Soldier's Memorial.

Messrs. Taylor and son, of this town, have recently executed and erected in the Borough Cemetery a memorial to Private Sidney Ernest Earley, of the 2nd Battalion Hampshire Regiment, who died on February 5th while billeted in Stratford. It was partly subscribed by deceaseds comrades, and will perpetuate the memory of one of the most cheerful and genial of soldiers. A headstone of Gothic design, the memorial is executed in Forest of Dean stone, a deeply moulded edge terminating in ivy leaves. Cleverly carved in the centre is the regimental crest, consisting of a tiger, Tudor rose, and laurel wreath.

Stratford-upon-Avon Herald


Pte. Richard Early

British Army 1st Battalion Royal Scots

(d.15th May 1915)

Richard Early was killed in fighting at Sanctuary Wood, Zillebeke, he is buried in Sanctuary Wood Cemetery.


Pte. Arthur G. Earp

British Army 1/5th Btn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment

(d.22nd July 1916)

Pte. Arthur Earp served with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1/5th Battalion.He was executed on 22nd July 1916 for quitting his post and buried in the Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension, Bouzincourt, France.


Lt. George Howard Earp

Australian Imperial Force 5th Infantry Battalion


George Howard Earp was born at Marlborough, New Zealand in 1891 to parents Charles and Annie. An architectural draughtsman by trade, he enlisted at Prahran in Victoria on 17th August 1914 at the age of 23. Earp departed Melbourne with the 5th Infantry Battalion aboard HMAT Orvieto on 21st October 1914.

Whilst serving at Gallipoli, Earp was struck down by gastroenteritis and in July 1915 was evacuated to Malta and then to Egypt for treatment. The following year he was sent to the Western Front in France and in April 1916 was transferred to the 1st Pioneer Battalion. In that same month he was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant and then again to lieutenant later that year. Afterwards he served with the 1st Pioneer Battalion for the remainder of the war, George Earp returned to Australia on 9th March 1919.

Next Page    Last Page    

Can you help us to add to our records?

The names and stories on this website have been submitted by their relatives and friends. If your relations are not listed please add their names so that others can read about them

Did your relative live through the Great War? Do you have any photos, newspaper clippings, postcards or letters from that period? Have you researched the names on your local or war memorial?

If so please let us know.

Do you know the location of a Great War "Roll of Honour?"

We are very keen to track down these often forgotten documents and obtain photographs and transcriptions of the names recorded so that they will be available for all to remember.

Help us to build a database of information on those who served both at home and abroad so that future generations may learn of their sacrifice.

Celebrate your own Family History

Celebrate by honouring members of your family who served in the Great War both in the forces and at home. We love to hear about the soldiers, but also remember the many who served in support roles, nurses, doctors, land army, muntions workers etc.

Please use our Family History resources to find out more about your relatives. Then please send in a short article, with a photo if possible, so that they can be remembered on these pages.

The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.

This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.

If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.

Hosted by:

The Wartime Memories Project Website

is archived for preservation by the British Library

Website Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved