- HMS Phoenix during the Great War -
If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.
Add Stories & Photos
Day by Day
War in the Air
Prisoners of War
The Royal Navy
Training for War
Those Who Served
Life on Home Front
Central Powers Army
Central Powers' Navy
World War Two
Add Stories & Photos
Help & FAQ's
Our Facebook Page
Great War Books
Research your Family History.
World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
24th February 1917 U-Boat Index - WW1 KUK SM U-27 Austrian Submarine.
Type U-27 Shipyard Ordered Launched 19th October 1916 Commissioned 24th February 1917
24 Feb 1917 - 29 Dec 1917 Robert Teufl von Fernland
29 Dec 1917 - 31 Oct 1918 Josef Holub
No flotilla information available
Successes 33 ships sunk with a total of 14,392 tons.
1 ship taken as prize with a total of 0 tons.
1 warship sunk with a total of 765 tons.
1 warship damaged with a total of 665 tons.
- 12 Apr 1917 k.u.k. U27 Robert Teufl von Fernland Niritos 3,756 gr
- 16 Apr 1917 k.u.k. U27 Robert Teufl von Fernland Zinovia 2,976 gr
- 9 Jun 1917 k.u.k. U27 Robert Teufl von Fernland Roland 703 fr
- 11 Jun 1917 k.u.k. U27 Robert Teufl von Fernland Sakaki (d.) 665 jp
- 22 Jan 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Andrea Costa 3,991 it
- 29 Apr 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Maria 40 gr
- 1 May 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub San Nicola unknown it
- 3 May 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Panaghia unknown gr
- 6 May 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Agios Dimitrios 40 gr
- 6 May 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Evangelistria 46 gr
- 6 May 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Taxiarchis 40 gr
- 14 May 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Phoenix (hms) 765 br
- 3 Jul 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Agia Trias 14 gr
- 3 Jul 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Evangelistria unknown gr
- 3 Jul 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Panaghia 12 gr
- 6 Jul 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub San Nicola 29 it
- 7 Jul 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Giuseppino Padre 67 it
- 9 Jul 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Tris Adelphi 53 gr
- 10 Jul 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Agios Georgios 17 gr
- 10 Jul 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Agios Loukis 11 gr
- 11 Jul 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Agios Constantinos 14 gr
- 11 Jul 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Marigo unknown gr
- 13 Aug 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Anhui 2,209 br
- 11 Sep 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Antoinette (prize) unknown fr
- 14 Sep 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Agios Nicolas 113 br
- 17 Sep 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Portaritissa 16 it
- 17 Sep 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Sofia 6 it
- 18 Sep 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Adelphotis 26 gr
- 18 Sep 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Agios Amma 16 gr
- 19 Sep 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Agios Spiridion 58 gr
- 20 Sep 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Aghios Nicolaos unknown gr
- 20 Sep 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Agios Nicolas 13 gr
- 20 Sep 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Agios Spiridion 18 gr
- 20 Sep 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Dragonos unknown gr
- 20 Sep 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Prof. Elias 5 gr
- 20 Sep 1918 k.u.k. U27 Josef Holub Theologos 103 gr
Fate Scrapped in 1920John Doran
14th May 1918 HMS Phoenix Name HMS Phoenix, Type Destroyer, Country British
GRT 765 tons, Built 1911, Builder Vickers, Birkenhead
Operator Royal Navy.
14 May 1918 Sunk when torpedoed in the Straits of Otranto,(40.22N, 19.08E) by the Austrian Submarine k.u.k. U27 (Josef Holub). 2 casualties.John Doran
If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.
Want to know more about HMS Phoenix?There are:2 articles tagged HMS Phoenix available in our LibraryThese include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Those known to have served in
during the Great War 1914-1918.
This page is new, as yet no names have been submitted.
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List
Looking for help with Family History Research?
Please see Family History FAQ's
We are unable to provide individual research free of charge, but do offer a paid service at competitive rates, the small profit from these services will be put towards the costs of keeping this website running. For more information please see our Research Services Leaflet
Can you help?The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors.
If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.
If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.
- The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website
This website has been running for 16 years and receives in excess of a million hits per month. The website and our group will continue long after the 2014-18 events are over. We hope that people will continue to support us by submitting material and stories in addition to submitting to the new websites set up for the anniversary.
- We are looking for volunteers to help with researching the activities of units of the Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, Territorial Force, Regular Army, Pals Battalions, Kitchener's New Armies, Voluntary Organisations and the Ships of the Royal Navy. We currently have a huge backlog of stories and historical documents which need to be edited or transcribed for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to the Great War. If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes. Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates, add a comment or ask a question.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Mar 2017World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Please note we currently have a backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 230777 your submission is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
Did you know? We also have a section on World War Two. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
Want to know more about HMS Phoenix?There are:2 articles tagged HMS Phoenix available in our Library
Available at discounted prices.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia relating to this unit? Please add to this archive.
Suggest a link
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved