If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Add Your Story
Life on Home Front
Those Who Served
Central Powers Army
War in the Air
Prisoners of War
The Royal Navy
Central Powers' Navy
Women at War
Day by Day
Can you Answer?
World War Two
How to add Memories
Add Your Story
Printable Memories Form
Help & FAQ's
Our Facebook Page
Great War Books
Research your own Family History.
World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
The Great War 1914-1918
Want to find out more about your relative's service? Search Military Records
- The Wartime Memories Project are very pleased to make the following announcement:
- 26th Feb 2013: The Wartime Memories Project has received a grant of £33,800 from the Heritage Lottery Fund for an exciting project, 'Life on the Home Front', to mark the centenary of the Great War in 2014. Further details are available in our new Life on the Home Front section.
- Please note this funding is ring fenced for "Life on the Home Front", our main website and activities will continue to be funded by donations and advertising revenue. Continued support from visitors is vital to ensure the future of our website.
- 1st September 2012 is our 13th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.
- The Wartime Memories Project has recently joined the IWM First World War Centenary Partnership.
- We are currently looking for volunteers to help with our events and the website. Please see our Volunteers page for further details.
- If you are looking for help with locating information about your own relatives please see our Family History resources
- September 2011 -Please note that we are currently undergoing a technical redesign of the site to make it more efficient. The change over will take some time to complete and whilst it is in progress the messageboard is not functioning, please send all messages and replies to existing messages via our contact form or by email and we will add them to the site as soon as possible.
- Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site.
Stories of the Great War
The aim of this website is to share stories, photographs and documents relating to the Great War of 1914 to 1918. The site was begun in 1999 and will always be a work in progress. All the entries have been submitted by the family and friends of those who served, if your relative is not listed, please complete this form so that they can be added to the site.
Please select from the following sections:
- Those Who Served In alphabetical order by surname.
- Allied Army
- Central Powers Army
- War in the Air
- Prisoners of War
- The Royal Navy
- Central Powers' Navy
- Women at War
- Day by Day
- Can you Answer?
Did you know that we also have a section about World War Two.
Celebrate your own Family History
Did your relative live through the Great War, serve in the forces or on the home front? Do you have any photos, newspaper clippings, postcards or letters from that period? Have you researched the names on your local or war memorial?
Do you know the location of a Great War "Roll of Honour?"
We are very keen to track down these often forgotten documents and obtain photographs and transcriptions of the names recorded so that they will be available for all to remember.
Help us to build a database of information on those who served both at home and abroad so that future generations may learn of their sacrifice.
Celebrate your own Family History
Celebrate by honouring members of your family who served in the Great War both in the forces and at home. We love to hear about the soldiers, but also remember the many who served in support roles, nurses, doctors, land army, muntions workers etc.
Please use our Family History resources to find out more about your relatives. Then please send in a short article, with a photo if possible, so that they can be remembered on these pages.
Ancestry.co.uk Access Great War British Service Records
Our website is currently undergoing a major revamp to improve your enjoyment.
Please accept our appologies for any transient error messages and broken links, our volunteers are working hard to transfer the data from the old server to the new one.
If you would like to become a volunteer we would love to hear from you. Click here to find out more.
90th Anniversary of the Battle of the Somme
Thiepval Wood 90 Years on
This DVD follows the Community Archeology Project, undertaken by The Somme Association and No Man's Land, The European Group for Great War Archaeology.
You can order a copy on-line by clicking the image below:
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXII
- All Rights Reserved