You are not logged in.
Ardleigh Red Cross Hospital, Ardleigh in the Great War - The Wartime Memories Project -

The Wartime Memories Project

- Ardleigh Red Cross Hospital, Ardleigh during the Great War -

Great War>Hospitals
skip to content

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you agree to accept cookies.

If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.

    Site Home

    Great War


    Add Stories & Photos


    Allied Army

    Day by Day

    War in the Air

    Prisoners of War

    War at Sea

    Training for War

    The Battles

    Those Who Served


    Civilian Service

    Women at War

    Life on Home Front

    Central Powers Army

    Central Powers Navy


    World War Two


    Add Stories & Photos

    Time Capsule


    Help & FAQ's

    Our Facebook Page




    Contact us

    Great War Books



World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great

Ardleigh Red Cross Hospital, Ardleigh

If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.

Those known to have worked or been treated at

Ardleigh Red Cross Hospital, Ardleigh

during the Great War 1914-1918.

All names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List

Looking for help with Family History Research?   

Please see Family History FAQ's

We are unable to provide individual research free of charge, but do offer a paid service at competitive rates, the small profit from these services will be put towards the costs of keeping this website running. For more information please see our Research Services Leaflet

Can you help?

The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors.

If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.

If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.


  • The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website

    This website has been running for 18 years and receives in excess of a million hits per month. The website and our group will continue long after the 2014-18 events are over. We hope that people will continue to support us by submitting material and stories in addition to submitting to the new websites set up for the anniversary.

  • We are looking for volunteers to help with researching the activities of units of the Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, Territorial Force, Regular Army, Pals Battalions, Kitchener's New Armies, Voluntary Organisations and the Ships of the Royal Navy. We currently have a huge backlog of stories and historical documents which need to be edited or transcribed for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.

Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to the Great War. If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes. Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted.

We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates, add a comment or ask a question.

If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.

Feb 2018

    Please note we currently have a backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 239080 your submission is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.

World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on World War Two. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.

Want to know more about Ardleigh Red Cross Hospital, Ardleigh?

There are: articles tagged Ardleigh Red Cross Hospital, Ardleigh available in our Library

What additional information is available on Ardleigh Red Cross Hospital, Ardleigh?


Pte. Harry S. Davison 26th (Banker's) Battalion Royal Fusiliers

Harry Davison enlisted in late December 1915 in 26th (Banker's) Battalion, The Royal Fusiliers. His decision to volunteer with bank colleagues as patriotic duty included a visit to wartime London. From December 1915 to early December 1916 he trained at the School of Cookery, at Camberwell and sent letters home describing training as cook. He then joined the Royal Fusiliers at the training camp, Aldershot, undertaking duties as company cook. Harry married shortly before embarkation. He continued to write home from the Western front, his letters cover the period of the Somme offensive, but without place names. Around Christmas 1916, Harry was under treatment for treatment for chest ailments and returned to England by hospital ship. Between January and March 1917 he was in two hospitals in Essex, the Military Hospital, Colchester followed by convalescence at Ardleigh Hospital. In April 1917 Harry was in Ireland at the Royal Fusiliers Depot, Tipperary, under medical supervision as convalescent and working as clerk to Depot Dental Surgeon. He was accepted for commission and posted to cadet school, and joined the Officer Cadet Battalion at Hertford College, Oxford as an Officer cadet.

After discharge from active service, it appears that 2nd Lieut Davison was transferred to the territorial battalion of the Suffolk Regiment. This regiment would have had a base near the Davison married home in Woodbridge, where he resumed his banking career and where his two sons were born.

The Rumbling Of The Guns. When a Portsmouth Bank Clerk Went to War - An article in the Portsmouth News.

There is nothing heroic about my action. I am going away and if necessary I offer my life for my country, simply because it is the smallest thing I can do to exhibit my manhood and my patriotism.

In these words my father in November 1915 explained to his wife-to-be his motives for volunteering to enlist in the armed forces. As a clerk with Lloyds Bank in Portsea Harry Davison joined, with many of his colleagues, the Bankersí Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers Ė one of the many Palsí Battalions in which so many groups went to war with the camaraderie of their shared profession. The discovery of a collection of letters written by my father to my mother over the following two years has given me a fresh insight into the life of an ordinary soldier on the Western Front.

Bank staff were, it seems, eager recruits. In his November 1915 letter my father refers to fellow-volunteers named Love and Pierce, from the bankís Kingís Road branch: so you see it wonít be too horribly dull and I shanít be quite on my own. Then again: another member of our staff joined up last week, leaving only two out of five now. Private Love was later to be the victim of a near-fatal incident alongside my father in the trenches.

A succession of letters between December 2015 and February 1916 describe three months of training with the Royal Fusiliers in Aldershot; then came news that required a rapid and important decision. We have received orders to shift off abroad. We have no idea where we are going: France, Mesopotamia, Ireland . . . I have come to the conclusion that we must be married before I go to the Front . . . I am confident I shall return, let us hope uninjured.

After a hurried marriage to his sweetheart Olive, who also worked at Lloyds Bank, and a weekend honeymoon, Private Harry Davison in May 1916 proceeded to France with the Bankersí Battalion, which saw action at the Battles of Flers-Courcellete and the Transloy Ridges on the Somme. From the Front, my fatherís frequent letters tell a story in which descriptions of hardships in the trenches contrast with glimpses of everyday French country life not far behind the lines.

We are accustomed to images from the First World War that show the battleground as a quagmire of mud under ceaseless rain. It wasnít like that all the time, however:

The weather keeps most gloriously fine. The sun shines all day long and itís very, very hot, writes Private Harry Davison in June, 1916. We have another spell of delightful weather and I am walking around with just a shirt and trousers on, and even that seems too much . . . Today is warm and the sun is lovely and hot and this life is more like a picnic if it were not for the rumbling of the guns. The daytime has been too hot for either side to show much energy.

Gradually the heat of the day subsides. The best and quietest time has been about 6 to 9 at night, we generally get our pipes out and chat to our heartsí content. During a period of rest from the trenches in the autumn there is even the opportunity to visit a nearby town, passing through open countryside on the way. The harvest is in full swing . . . I donít think I ever saw more wheat in my life. It runs for miles without a hedge.

As winter comes on, the picture changes for the worse. The mud and rain the last few days have been terrible. . . Yesterday during a thunderstorm the rain was absolutely torrential, and the mud made the roads nearly impassable . . . Will you please send me a pair of Andersonís trench waders as advertised in London Opinion; the water is very bad indeed, and I think they will combat the evil of trench feet. This request was quickly answered. The mud is simply appalling, knee deep in many places. Those waders have proved most useful and are really waterproof.

In October came the accident that befell my Fatherís colleague from Portsmouth. Poor old Love is back with us again after a few days in hospital. He had the misfortune to be buried alive under 5ft of earth and needless to say when dug out was not in the best of health or temper. It has altered him a lot, but I expect he will be himself again after a while. At the present moment he is sitting with me in my billet in a French Ďchateauí where we are resting for a few days while on the march to a fresh position. However, a few weeks later all is apparently not well. Love keeps most cheerful but at the same time he is not the same as before his terrible experience. It seems to have affected his nerves.

Ď. . . . if it were not for the rumbling of the gunsí. The ever-present background to these letters is the desperate struggle in progress, in this year of the terrible Battle of the Somme. A severe bombardment has been in progress for the past 12 hours on our left, so expect to hear of some gains in a day or two . . . Our period at the Front line would I suppose by the authorities be called comparatively quiet; however I am not anxious to be there when it is really noisy. About nine the machine guns get busy and the Very lights start going up. Our artillery are all around us and Mr Fritz with his artillery keeps trying to find ours.

In the intervals between spells in action there is a welcome normality about everyday life. After securing a new pair of trousers I went over to ĖĖĖ, a large town about 5km away. After having a good tea and inspecting the various places of interest we returned in the evening. . . I had the misfortune to lose my wrist watch, but am waiting to go into town to replace it.

The troops took what relief was afforded them when they could. It takes very little to excite one out here, and even the prospect of an evening in some shelled village with bacon and eggs and very mild beer causes as much pleasure as a real bash at home.

Parcels from home were eagerly awaited and seem to have arrived regularly. Your parcel containing biscuits, socks etc just to hand. Thanks awfully. The biscuits are a treat . . . It was fortunate you sent out my spare pair of glasses, as a short while ago I lost my other pair in the dark . . . In the next parcel will you send please one towel and some cocoa, coffee or tea cubes. Some cake would be acceptable too . . . You might send a few pairs of socks and one or two handkerchiefs.

With the parcels came news from the home front, and from other theatres of war, to which my father responded: The various restrictions prevailing in England must be hard . . . England seems to have solved the Zeppelin problem, now perhaps the Zepps will not be such frequent visitors . . . What good work the Russians are doing. If we hold our own until they move up great events will take place, I think.

Of the naval Battle of Jutland [May 31, 1916], the first news we had came from the Germans over the trenches and was of course exaggerated. Since then we have had our own official news and after all we were victors, but what awful sacrifice of valuable lives. Clearly, though, the newspapers of 1916 erred on the side of optimism. Everything in the papers seems to point to an early peace, and personally I think another two months will see us back in dear old England.

Some upbeat messages were perhaps designed to cheer my mother in her lonely vigil at home, but knowing as we now do the conditions our troops suffered it is not hard to read between the lines. We are equipped for the winter now and you should see me in full war paint: gum boots up to the waist and heavy leather jacket over tunic with cap comforter under tin hat . . . I managed to get a fair nightís sleep last night in a disused trench . . . We expect to go into the trenches very shortly but have no fear, itís much safer in the trenches than outside them . . . We have some very decent dugouts; mine in fact is one of the best I have ever had, as you can stand up in it.

The prospect of leave is a recurring theme. As Christmas 1916 approaches, the only topic of conversation in the camp is England and our prospects of leave. And then, hopefully, there is a possibility of my being in England for Christmas. But it was not to be. On Christmas Eve my father writes: It seems impossible to think tomorrow is Christmas Day. The weather Ė well, ínuff said. A terrific wind prevails, and the rain has been really appalling. Now I must shut up. All the others in the dugout are asleep. Itís getting cold and my last candle is nearing its end, and I must save some for tomorrow morning.

My fatherís next letters are from a military hospital in Essex in February 1917. He had been invalided home Ė not wounded, it appears, but suffering from some acute respiratory complaint. Could it have been the effect of gas? We shall never know. Anyway, it rescued him from the trenches; he lived to the age of 60 and fathered two sons. He never spoke to us of his war experiences. A century later I am at last beginning to understand why.

Michael Davison

Want to know more about Ardleigh Red Cross Hospital, Ardleigh?

There are:0 items tagged Ardleigh Red Cross Hospital, Ardleigh available in our Library
  These include information on officers service records, regimental histories, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.

Recomended Reading.

Available at discounted prices.


    Suggest a link

    The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.

    This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.

    If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.

    Hosted by:

    The Wartime Memories Project Website

    is archived for preservation by the British Library

    Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
    - All Rights Reserved