You are not logged in.
Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool in the Great War - The Wartime Memories Project -

The Wartime Memories Project

- Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool during the Great War -

Great War>Hospitals
skip to content

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you agree to accept cookies.

If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.

    Site Home

    Great War


    Add Stories & Photos


    Allied Army

    Day by Day

    War in the Air

    Prisoners of War

    War at Sea

    Training for War

    The Battles

    Those Who Served


    Civilian Service

    Women at War

    Life on Home Front

    Central Powers Army

    Central Powers Navy


    World War Two


    Add Stories & Photos

    Time Capsule


    Help & FAQ's

    Our Facebook Page




    Contact us

    Great War Books



World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great

Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool

If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.

Those known to have worked or been treated at

Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool

during the Great War 1914-1918.

All names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List

Looking for help with Family History Research?   

Please see Family History FAQ's

We are unable to provide individual research free of charge, but do offer a paid service at competitive rates, the small profit from these services will be put towards the costs of keeping this website running. For more information please see our Research Services Leaflet

Can you help?

The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors.

If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.

If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.


  • The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website

    This website has been running for 18 years and receives in excess of a million hits per month. The website and our group will continue long after the 2014-18 events are over. We hope that people will continue to support us by submitting material and stories in addition to submitting to the new websites set up for the anniversary.

  • We are looking for volunteers to help with researching the activities of units of the Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, Territorial Force, Regular Army, Pals Battalions, Kitchener's New Armies, Voluntary Organisations and the Ships of the Royal Navy. We currently have a huge backlog of stories and historical documents which need to be edited or transcribed for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.

Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to the Great War. If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes. Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted.

We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates, add a comment or ask a question.

If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.

Dec 2017

    Please note we currently have a backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 237716 your submission is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.

World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on World War Two. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.

Want to know more about Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool?

There are: articles tagged Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool available in our Library

What additional information is available on Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool?


Pte. Thomas Flanagan 2nd Btn. King's Own Scottish Borderers

Thomas Flanagan was shot during the Battle of Oppy Wood in May 1917, he was picked up by the Canadian field ambulance a day later, he spent months recovering in Alder Hey hospital before being reassigned to the border regiment. He had bad lungs after being gassed earlier in the war and still suffered from physical effects from the gunshot wound he sustained in 1917, he was found unfit for military service and sent back to Oldham.

In 1921 he committed suicide by kneeling in the road and refusing to move, he was struck by a motorcar, suffered a fractured skull and died in hospital later that night, leaving behind a wife and 4 children.

Danielle Davies


Dvr. William John Davies 148 Brigade, C Battery Royal Field Artillery

William and Mary

William Davies was seriously injured on the morning of 25th March 1918 near Roye during the German Spring Offensive having served with 148 Brigade RFA since March 1915. He was first treated at 96th Field Ambulance and later the same day at 50 Casualty Clearing Station. It was here that he lost his left arm and left leg. Having been treated at No. 9 Hospital in France he arrived at the 3rd Western General in Cardiff on the 1st April 1918. He was later treated at Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool where he lived.

By 1919 he was employed selling newspapers outside the Adelphi Hotel in Liverpool and continued for 17 years. He fathered a further 4 children giving a total of 10 all together. He had a house boat moored near Hilbre Island, West Kirby which he used to visit as often as he could and was a very keen gardener. He died in December 1949. A truly remarkable man.

Gordon Davies


Sgt. John Allen Jones 10th (Service) Battalion Royal Welch Fusiliers

My father, John Allen Jones, volunteered for the RWF on 7th September 1914 and was trained in England, promoted Sergeant in January 1915 and sent to France with his Unit on 27th September 1915. They were deployed on the Ypres salient and took part in operations over the next few months. He was wounded, probably only slightly, on 2nd March 1916, but had returned to the line and was gravely wounded on 29th April 1916 by the explosion of a German shell which fell into a group of RWF men who had just come down from the Front and were resting in a French farmyard. Five deaths and 27 woundings are recorded in the War Diary of that day. Miraculously, within 48 hours my father was received into the Wharncliffe War Hospital in Sheffield.

He was operated on for wounds in his right leg, as many as 20 times over the next months and, as a result of dedicated care from the surgical and nursing staff he was released to the care of Sir Robert Jones at Alder Hey Hospital Liverpool in June 1917.

Finally he was discharged from the Army in November 1917 as 'no longer fit for War Service'. He returned to civilian life, graduated from University and served his Community in North Wales as Headmaster, Mayor and Alderman for the next 50 years until his death in 1966.

E G H Jones


Cpl. Hercules Sossick Royal Army Medical Corps

Hercules Sossick was my Grandfather and before WW1 he was a Fine Art Plaster Moulder working in the family business, 'Sossick & Sons Fine Art Moulders', Chelsea. He joined the 1st Middlesex Royal Engineers (Volunteers) in College Street, Chelsea, S.W. on 19/11/1906.

The story that I remember being told was that he was on parade one day when the men were asked if anyone had experience of plaster work. He stepped forward and ended up in the RAMC at Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool. He spent the war years there making moulds of stumps and limbs for the manufacture of artificial limbs, which were in such great demand due to the tremendous number of amputees returning from the front. He was transferred to the reserve on 10/11/1919 and returned to his business.

In 1927 he went to work for J.F.Rowley (1919) Ltd. which later became J.E.Hanger & Co. at Queen Mary's Hospital, Roehampton. He worked there for over 30 years and retired as the foreman of the artificial limb repair shop. It was said that if anyone had a squeak or rattle in their artificial limb, my grandfather was the man they went to see. I have a number of photographs taken in the workshops at Alder Hey and have passed copies to the RAMC Museum at Mytchet.


Want to know more about Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool?

There are:0 items tagged Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool available in our Library
  These include information on officers service records, regimental histories, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.

Recomended Reading.

Available at discounted prices.


    Suggest a link

    The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.

    This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.

    If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.

    Hosted by:

    The Wartime Memories Project Website

    is archived for preservation by the British Library

    Website Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
    - All Rights Reserved