You are not logged in.
3rd London General Hospital in the Great War - The Wartime Memories Project -

The Wartime Memories Project

- 3rd London General Hospital during the Great War -

Great War>Hospitals
skip to content

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you agree to accept cookies.

If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.

    Site Home

    Great War


    Add Stories & Photos


    Allied Army

    Day by Day

    War in the Air

    Prisoners of War

    War at Sea

    Training for War

    The Battles

    Those Who Served


    Civilian Service

    Women at War

    Life on Home Front

    Central Powers Army

    Central Powers Navy


    World War Two


    Add Stories & Photos

    Time Capsule


    Help & FAQ's

    Our Facebook Page




    Contact us

    Great War Books



World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great

3rd London General Hospital

If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.

Patient Reports.

    This section is under construction and only available to subscribers of our Library. These mainly contain lists of admissions and discharges, some include the type of wound or illness suffered.

Those known to have worked or been treated at

3rd London General Hospital

during the Great War 1914-1918.

All names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List

Looking for help with Family History Research?   

Please see Family History FAQ's

We are unable to provide individual research free of charge, but do offer a paid service at competitive rates, the small profit from these services will be put towards the costs of keeping this website running. For more information please see our Research Services Leaflet

Can you help?

The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors.

If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.

If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.


  • The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website

    This website has been running for 18 years and receives in excess of a million hits per month. The website and our group will continue long after the 2014-18 events are over. We hope that people will continue to support us by submitting material and stories in addition to submitting to the new websites set up for the anniversary.

  • We are looking for volunteers to help with researching the activities of units of the Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, Territorial Force, Regular Army, Pals Battalions, Kitchener's New Armies, Voluntary Organisations and the Ships of the Royal Navy. We currently have a huge backlog of stories and historical documents which need to be edited or transcribed for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.

Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to the Great War. If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes. Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted.

We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates, add a comment or ask a question.

If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.

Dec 2017

    Please note we currently have a backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 237716 your submission is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.

World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on World War Two. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.

Want to know more about 3rd London General Hospital?

There are: articles tagged 3rd London General Hospital available in our Library

What additional information is available on 3rd London General Hospital?


L/Cpl. Christopher Edward Fowler MM. C Coy. 33rd Btn.

My Uncle Christy Fowler enlisted on the 10th of November 1915, aged 18. He was a labourer from Barry, NSW. He joined the 13th Reinforcements, 17th Battalion at Lithogow Depot Camp and in June 1916 he proceeded to England, arriving in Plymouth on the 3rd of August. On the 6th July 1916 he is recorded as disobeying orders and being absent without leave at Capetown from the troopship HMAT A.55 Kyarra and was given 3 days Field Punishment No.2.

Christopher then joined the 33rd Battalion on the 21st November 1916 in France. In December he was admitted to the 7th General Hospital (The Malassises Hospital) in St Omer suffering from mumps, he rejoined the 33rd battalion on new years day 1917. On the 12th March 1917 he is again punished for failing to obey a lawful command given by his superior officer.

He was promoted to Lance Corporal on the 2nd of June 1917 and saw action in the Battle of Messines, where he was awarded the Military Medal, his citation reads:

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during the Battle of Messines Ridge from June 7th to June 11th. L/C Christopher Edward Fowler acted a a mopper up and showed great dash and determination. He himself killed six of the enemy. On the afternoon of June 9th he led the first patrol to Thatched Cottage and captured the post. Throughout the whole action this soldier displayed great initiative and forethought, and at all times was courageous and cool. He set a splendid example to his men."

He was wounded in action on the 16th July 1917 receiving a gun shot wound to his left eye. On the 24th July he was transported back to England onboard the Hospital Ship Grantully Castle and on the 25th was admitted to the 3rd London General Hospital at Wandsworth. Whilst there he was reprimanded by Lt. Col. Heywood for refusing to obey and order and went Absent without Leave for 6 hours on the 14th Sept 1917 for which he forfeited one day's pay.

1917 calendar sent home from hospital

Christy was repatriated to Australia leaving England on board the Kenilworth Castle on the 12th of March 1918. He was discharged from the Army on the 3rd of July 1918.

Trevor Fenton


Pte. William Swanney 9th Btn. Royal Scots (Lothian) Regiment (d.10th Nov 1917)

William Swanney died serving in WW1. He was a private in the 9th Battalion Royal Scots (Lothian) Regiment. William died on 10th November 1917, age 20, in Wandsworth Military Hospital, London, England and is buried in Edinburgh Eastern Cemetery.

He was the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Swanney of 7 Iona St., Leith, Edinburgh. William was born on Shapinsay, Orkney Isles, Scotland. His siblings were: Thomas, Izat L., William and Elizabeth.

Suzanne Swanney


L/Cpl. Ernest Bert Foxall 2nd Btn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Ernest Foxall was born in Birmingham in 1892 and lived on Camden Street. He joined the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in 1911. He was serving with the 2nd Battalion in Malta at the outbreak of WW1 and arrived in Belgium on the 4th of October 1914. He was wounded and taken prisoner of war in early 1915. Ernest was repatriated to Britain in August 1915 and this was reported in the Birmingham Gazette and the Birmingham Evening Despatch on the 30th of August 1915.

He must have been returned by the Germans due to the severity of his wounds. Ernest was transferred to the 3rd General Hospital Wandsworth (the building still exists and is now a residential property called Royal Victoria Buildings - it is Grade 2 listed) and was eventually transferred to Chatham, Kent. At some point he was made an acting Sergeant. Ernest was still in Chatham in 1920 as my grandfather was born there on the 6th of June 1920.

Ernest never fully recovered from his injuries (allegedly he was bayoneted and after being captured the Germans chained him to the wheel of a cart). He suffered with ill health all his life and died in 1948.

Ernest Bert Foxall Service Card

Evening Despatch Aug 1915

3rd General Hospital WW1

Men relax at 3rd General Hospital

Craig Foxall


Major. John Edward Christoe 41st Btn.

John Christoe was born on the 12th of March 1884 in Maryborough, Qld to Charles Penrose Christoe and Julia Eugenie Cuvet [Madame Christoe] On the 16th of August 1909 (Age 25) he was appointed 2nd Lieutenant in the Wide Bay Regiment, Qld and on the 1st of July 1912 (Age 28)he joined 4th Infantry, Wide Bay, Qld On the 23rd of December 1912 he was appointed Lieutenant with the 4th Infantry, Wide Bay, Qld and on the 16th of November 1913 (Age 29) he was seconded to HO Area 4B, Maryborough, Qld On the 1 June 1914 he was appointed Captain and in November attennded a Short Course (Infantry) at Duntroon In March 1915 he was A&I Staff at £375 per annum nand was promoted to Acting Brigade Major 3rd Brigade Area on the 16th of April 1915. In July he took a Short Course (Musketry) at Enoggera On the 1st of April 1916 he was appointed Captain with the 41st Battalion AIF and embarked for active service abroad on the 16thm landing on the 20th of July 1916 at Plymouth, England. After training on Salisbury Plain, on the 24th of November 1916 the Battalion embarked from Southampton to France. John was promoted on the 11th of March 1917 to Major in the 41st Battalion AIF it was noted he was unmarried at the time.

On the 21st of March 1917 John was blown up and buried by a shell explosion at Ploegsteert in Belgium and was admitted to a temporary field hospital. This could have been during the failed Nivelle offensive against the Germans which preceeded the successful and famous Battle of Messines which commenced on 7th June 1917, which in turn led to successful battles at Ypres and Passchendaele. On the 29th of March 1917 he rejoined the 41st Battalion [eight days recuperation clearly wasn’t enough, as subsequent events would show]

On the 6th of June 1917 the Allies were subjected to a gas attack by the Germans on Ploegsteert Wood, causing between 500 and 2,000 casualties. Nan told me that her father had been exposed to gas during WW1 so this was probably when it occurred. On the 23rd of June 1917 John suffers a severe gun shot wound to the right shoulder at Messines. and the following day was evacuated to the 14th General Hospital at Boulogne, France. On the 30th of June he was evacuated to England on the hospital ship Saint Patrick and admitted to the the 3rd London General Hospital. He recovered from the GSW but was diagnosed with shell shock, concussion, tremors, loss of memory and inability to concentrate as a result of being blown up at Ploegsteert three months earlier and subsequently being gassed and shot. It was estimated that he would be incapacitated in terms of AIF service for 6 ½ months. On the 15th of July 1917 he was discharged from the 3rd London General Hospital and embarked for Australia the next day from Avonmouth.

Mike Trumbull


Lt. Ralph Argyle Langley 57th Battalion

Ralph Langley served with the 5th Battalion, 2nd Brigade in Gallipoli and had trained at the 6th Officers Cadet Battalion at Balliol College, Oxford between 5th of November 1916 and 2nd of March 1917. He married his English bride Nancie Stimpson in February 1917. He was wounded on the Western Front on 25 October, 1917.

He was wounded on the Western Front on 25 October, 1917 On the 5th of November 1917, Ralph embarked to England ex Liverpool Merchants Hospital. He was admitted to 3rd London General Hospital, Wandsworth. He had sustained a gunshot wound to his right thigh. He spent time at Wandsworth receiving medical treatment and recuperating, until he returned to Australia in early December.

It was in Australia that Ralph had his leg amputated just below the knee. His wife joined him in Australia in January, 1919. having survived the horrors of Gallipoli (5th Battalion, 2nd Brigade) and of the Western Front, Ralph died in a motor car accident on the Hume Highway in December 1935, leaving his wife and 6 children, the youngest of whom were one year old twin boys.

Denise Langley


Lt. Alfred Bailey Eades 2nd Field Artillery Brigade (d.12th Nov 1918)

Alfred Bailey Eades was born at Essendon, Victoria in 1895 to parents Arthur and Louisa. Prior to the First World War, he served for two years with the 25th Battery of the 8th Field Artillery Brigade, Citizen Military Forces where he attained the rank of sergeant in 1914. A clerk by trade, he enlisted in Melbourne on 7th May 1915 at the age of 20. On 10th August 1915, he departed Melbourne aboard RMS Persia with the 2nd Field Artillery Brigade and the rank of gunner. Eade's cousin, General Sir Cyril Brudenall Bingham White also served during the First World War.

After landing at Gallipoli on 13th of October 1915, Eades was transferred to the 2nd Brigade Ammunition Column and remained on the peninsula until the evacuation in December. In February 1916, he was transferred to the 4th Division Artillery and in March 1916 he was again transferred to the 12th Field Artillery Brigade. Eades was promoted through the ranks to second lieutenant in June 1916 and lieutenant in February 1917.

He died on 12th November 1918 at the 3rd London General Hospital due to complications from influenza at the age of 23. Alfred Eades is buried at Brookwood Military Cemetery, United Kingdom.

s flynn


Cpl. Arthur Gladstone Alderdice 2nd Infantry Battalion (d.15th Aug 1916)

Arthur Gladstone Alderdice was born at Beechworth, Victoria and was educated at Beechworth Grammar School. At the outbreak of the First World War he was working in the shearing industry as a wool scourer.

Alderdice enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force on 6th April 1915. He was assigned to the 2nd Infantry Battalion and departed Sydney aboard HMAT Karoola on 16th June 1915. Alderdice was stationed briefly in Egypt before being deployed to Gallipoli on 6th August 1915, where he took part in the reinforcement of Lone Pine. He was reported ill, most likely suffering from diphtheria, on 26th November 1915 and subsequently sent to Malta for recovery. After Gallipoli he was redeployed to Egypt, arriving on 18th February 1916. He was promoted to corporal on 24th March 1916. Alderdice departed for Marseilles on 28th May 1916 aboard HMT Ivernia and was soon deployed to the Western Front.

He was seriously wounded in action by an enemy shell on 25th July 1916. He was transferred to a field hospital at Rouen on 27th July 1916, and then to the 3rd London General Hospital at Wandsworth. He died of tetanus on 15th August 1916. Arthur Alderdice is buried at Wandsworth (Earlsfield) Cemetery, England.

s flynn


Lt. Ralph Argyle Langley 57th Battalion

My grandfather Ralph Langley served at Gallipoli and in France. He was wounded in the right thigh when fighting in France and evacuated to Wandsworth 3rd General Hospital.

Denise Langley


Tpr. Norman Wainwright 5th Light Horse Brigade

Norman Wainwright was Trooper 521 in 5th Light Horse Brigade. He was b.1896 Eldwick, Bingley, Yorkshire and enlisted at Lismore Barracks, Australia giving his next of kin as Harrison Wainwright Glenview Cottage., Eldwick, Bingley, Yorkshire

Norman was wounded 25/11/1915 receiving gunshot wounds to his leg and hand. He arrived at London 3rd General Hospital from the hospital ship Britannic and was discharged from London 3rd General Hospital on 6th Sep 1916 tand returned Australia on the HT Euripides. I am a descendant of the Wainwright family and trying to find Norman's hospital record.



Pte. Horace Walker 1st Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment (d.29 October 1914)

Horace Walker was my grandmother's younger brother & had been in service in Lincolnshire before the war but on his death certificate his home address is that of my grandmother in Sheffield. He was 32. He died in the 3rd London General Hospital, Wandsworth with the cause of death given as malignant oedema of the thigh.

I would be most interested to discover more about his war experiences & how/where he received the thigh wound. His medals suggest that he had served on the continent but I have no other details. It must have been a very early engagement for him to have been injured, repatriated by this date in the war; or perhaps he was just kicked by a mule before seeing any action. If anyone can enlighten me in any way I would be most grateful.

Jose Bosworth


Capt. James William Shreeve 33rd Btn.

James Shreeve was a professional soldier who had seen action during the Boer War, when he volunteered for overseas service he was working as a staff sergeant instructor, he was commissioned a Lieutenant in the 33rd Battalion on the 23rd of February 1916. He was 36 years old and married with two children.

James was promoted to Captain on the 19th of December 1916 whilst in France and was seconded to be Adjutant of the 3rd Division School on the 23rd of February 1917. He rejoined the 33rd Btn on the 1st of June 1917 and was wounded during the Battle of Messines on the 10th of June. He was admitted to the 14th General Hospital on the 11th with a gun shot wound to his left foot By the 17th of July he was discharged from the base depot at Wimereux. He marched out to the front and rejoined his unit on the 21st of July. For two weeks in August he was detailed as an infantry instructor at Le Harve then returned to his unit

James was wounded in action for a second time on he 18th Oct 1917, a gun shot wound to his abdomen, was treated at the 3rd Canadian Casualty Clearing Station and was then admitted to the 8th General Hospital in Rouen then transferred to the 3rd London General Hospital where he remained until the 20th of December when he joined the Overseas Training Brigade at Wandsworth. On the 8th of January he returned to France departing from Southampton, and joined 9th Brigade HQ. He rejoined the 33rd Btn and was wounded for a third time in action on the 31st of March 1918, this time a gun shot wound which resulted in a compound fracture of his left thigh, he was treated at the 41st Casualty Clearing Station and evacuated to No 2 British Red Cross Hospital in Rouen then to the 3rd General Hospital in London. James returned to Australia on board HMAS Kanowra arriving at Melboure on the 7th of March 1919, his appointment was terminated on the 27th of August 1920.

Want to know more about 3rd London General Hospital?

There are:0 items tagged 3rd London General Hospital available in our Library
  These include information on officers service records, regimental histories, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.

Recomended Reading.

Available at discounted prices.


    Suggest a link

    The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.

    This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.

    If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.

    Hosted by:

    The Wartime Memories Project Website

    is archived for preservation by the British Library

    Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
    - All Rights Reserved