You are not logged in.
Battle of Sari Bar in the Great War - The Wartime Memories Project -

The Wartime Memories Project

- Battle of Sari Bar in the Great War -

Great War>The Battles
skip to content

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you agree to accept cookies.

If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.

    Site Home

    Great War


    Add Stories & Photos


    Allied Army

    Day by Day

    War in the Air

    Prisoners of War

    War at Sea

    Training for War

    The Battles

    Those Who Served


    Civilian Service

    Women at War

    Life on Home Front

    Central Powers Army

    Central Powers Navy


    World War Two


    Add Stories & Photos

    Time Capsule


    Help & FAQ's

    Our Facebook Page




    Contact us

    Great War Books



World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great

Battle of Sari Bar

6th Aug 1915 Force Advances

7th Aug 1915   The attack at the Nek was to coincide with an attack by New Zealand soldiers from Chunuk Bair, and was also supposed to be captured in the early morning of August 7th. The Australian 3rd Light Horse Brigade were to take the Nek while New Zealanders took Battleship Hill from the rear. The 3rd Light Horse Brigade were raised in Australia as a combined infantry, artillery and cavalry unit. They were shipped to Egypt, where they had to leave their horses and serve as infantry in Gallipoli.

The attack was supposed to begin at 0430 after a naval bombardment. The 8th and 10th Light Horse Regiments were to advance on a front 80 yards wide, in four waves of 150 men each. Each wave was to go over the top ever two minutes. The Ottoman lines were only 29 yards away. Unfortunately the New Zealand advance failed to reach Chunuk Bair. Without capturing that high ground the Ottoman machine guns, with their enfiladed fire, would slaughter anyone crossing the ground around Quinn’s Post and the Nek. Major General Sir Alexander Godley, commander of the ANZAC Division, declared that the attack would proceed anyway.

The artillery bombardment also went wrong, with the barrage ending at 0423. The officers in the trenches did not know if the artillery was to continue or not. The artillery officer and the assault officer had not synchronized their watches prior to the attack. The attack did not go at 0430 and this gave the Ottoman defenders plenty of time to return to their trenches and prepare for the assault they now knew was coming.

The first wave of 150 men, from the 8th Light Horse Regiment, went over the top, and within 30 seconds they were all gunned down. Incredibly a few men made it to the enemy trenches and marker flags were seen flying, but those men were quickly shot or bayoneted by the Ottoman defenders. The second wave followed the first, without hesistation, two minutes later. They were met by the same wall of murderous machine gun and rifle fire, and were cut down before they got halfway to the trench… only about 15 yards. A supporting attack by the Royal Welch Fusiliers against the “Chessboard” trenches also suffered 65 casualties before it too was called off. A simultaneous attack by the 2nd Light Horse Regiment, from the 1st Light Horse Brigade at Quinn’s Post was abandoned when 49 out of the 50 men in the first wave were killed or wounded. Their regiment commander did not go over in the first wave and was able to stop the slaughter.

Unfortunately for the men attacking the Nek, the 8th Light Horse Regiment’s commander, Lieutenant Colonel A.H. White, was in the first wave and lay dead in the the space between the two trenches. No one called off the attack. The commander of the 10th Light Horse Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Noel Brazier, tried to call off the third wave, claiming that “the whole thing was nothing but bloody murder”, but he could not persuade the Brigade Major, Colonel John Anthill, to end the attack. Neither could find the Brigade commander Colonel Hughes. Anthill implied that there was success since marker flags were seen in the trenches. Anthill ordered the third wave to go over the top.

The third wave “hopped the bags” and was slaughtered. Many of the men just ran out of the trench and immediately dived for cover, using the bodies of those who went before them as a buffer from the bullets. Since their duty was just to get over the trench and they considered it fulfilled. Due to this the 10th Light Horse Regiment had a lower casualty rate than the 8th Regiment. The attack was finally called off, but amazingly, in all the chaos of the morning, about half of the fourth wave went over, and they were cut down too. By 0445 it was over and the ridge was covered with dead and wounded Australians. They would remain there for the duration.

Out of the 600 Australians that took part in the attack, 372 fell. The 8th Light Horse Regiment lost 234 men out of the 300 who “hopped the bags” and 154 of them were killed. The 10th Light Horse Regiment lost 138 out of their 300 of which 80 were killed. The Ottoman losses were almost non-exitent, with only eight dead. It is said the Australians were ordered to charge with unloaded rifles, using only the bayonet.

8th Aug 1915 Push Ordered

10th Aug 1915 Sheer Exhaustion

If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.

Want to know more about Battle of Sari Bar?

There are:4 articles tagged Battle of Sari Bar available in our Library

  These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.

Those known to have served in

Battle of Sari Bar

during the Great War 1914-1918.

    The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List

    Looking for help with Family History Research?   

    Please see Family History FAQ's

    We are unable to provide individual research free of charge, but do offer a paid service at competitive rates, the small profit from these services will be put towards the costs of keeping this website running. For more information please see our Research Services Leaflet

    Can you help?

    The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors.

    If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.

    If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.


    • The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website

      This website has been running for 18 years and receives in excess of a million hits per month. The website and our group will continue long after the 2014-18 events are over. We hope that people will continue to support us by submitting material and stories in addition to submitting to the new websites set up for the anniversary.

    • We are looking for volunteers to help with researching the activities of units of the Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, Territorial Force, Regular Army, Pals Battalions, Kitchener's New Armies, Voluntary Organisations and the Ships of the Royal Navy. We currently have a huge backlog of stories and historical documents which need to be edited or transcribed for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.

    Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to the Great War. If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes. Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted.

    We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates, add a comment or ask a question.

    If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.

    Dec 2017

        Please note we currently have a backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 237716 your submission is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.

    World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
    Did you know? We also have a section on World War Two. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.

    Want to know more about Battle of Sari Bar?

    There are:4 articles tagged Battle of Sari Bar available in our Library

    Recomended Reading.

    Available at discounted prices.


      Suggest a link

      The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.

      This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.

      If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.

      Hosted by:

      The Wartime Memories Project Website

      is archived for preservation by the British Library

      Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
      - All Rights Reserved