The Wartime Memories Project - The Second World War

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you agree to accept cookies.

If you enjoy this site

please consider making a donation.

    Site Home

    WW2 Home

    Add Stories

    WW2 Search

 WW2 Features


    Allied Army

    Allied Air Forces

    Allied Navy

    Axis Forces

    Home Front

    Prisoners of War

    Allied Ships

    Women at War

    Those Who Served



    The Great War


    Add Stories

    Time Capsule

    TWMP on Facebook

    Childrens Bookshop


    Your Family History


    Contact us




World War 2 Two II WW2 WWII

Those who Served

Allied Forces - Browse by Surname.

A       B       C       D       E       F       G       H       I       J       K       L       M       N       O       P       Q       R       S       T       U       V       W       X       Y       Z      

Axis Forces - Browse by Surname.

A       B       C       D       E       F       G       H       I       J       K       L       M       N       O       P       Q       R       S       T       U       V       W       X       Y       Z      

F/Sgt. George Cable .     Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 138 Sqdn.   from Leeds)

(d.8th May 1944)

F/Sgt Cable was killed on 8th May 1944 during Operation Citronelle 1 in France.

Halifax v LL280 NF-O. The crew were:

  • W/Cdr W McF Russell DFC & Bar
  • F/S G Cable DFM
  • F/O D Brown DFC
  • F/O B P McGonagle DFC
  • F/O J A Armour DFC DFM
  • F/O A F Bryce
  • F/O N Simister DFM

    T/o Tempsfordon Operation Citronelle 1 heading for France. Shot down by a night-fighter and crashed at St Denis d'Orques (Sarthe), 40m WNW of Le Mans and astride what in 1944 was the main road to Laval. All rest in Le Mans west cemetery.

  • Thomas Cabido Cabrera .     US Army 821st Tank Destroyer Battalion   from Colton, California)

    My father, Thomas Cabido Cabrera, served with the 821st Tank Destroyer Battalion. He was wounded in the battle of St Lo.

    I'd love to get more information about the 821st. There were several men from his home town of Colton, California who also served with him.

    Sgt. Ted "Lad " Cachart .     Royal Air Force 49th Squadron

    Warrant Officer. E.B. (Ted) Cachart. Wop/Ag, 49th Squadron (Lancaster) RAF Fiskerton, Lincolnshire - otherwise known as 'Ted the Lad' - was UK’s youngest ever Bomber Command crew member. He managed to enlist at the age of fifteen and, by the age of 18, had been promoted to Sgt. Wop/Ag. In January 1944, Ted and his crew, two of whom were Royal Canadian Air Force, survived a mid-air collision near Berlin, only to become prisoners of war. All crew members of the second Lancaster tragically perished.

    At the age of 86, Ted Cachart is on a mission to help other WW2 veterans access lottery funding before the Heroes Return 2 programme ends in January 2012. World War II veterans, their wives, husbands, widows or widowers and, in some cases, accompanying carers are eligible to apply for lottery funding that enables them to visit the countries where they or their loved ones once served. Funds of between £150 and £5,500 are available, depending on the number of people taking part and the destination. There are still many people who are unaware of this programme. It is not just ex-Army, Air Force and Navy personnel who can apply; Merchant Navy, Auxiliary Territorial Service, Navy Wrens and, in some cases, members of the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force may also be eligible.

    The 'Heroes Return 2' programme was first launched by The Big Lottery Fund in 2004 and has already provided over 50,000 veterans with funding, affording them to travel to places such as France, Holland, Italy, Greece, Malta, India, America, the Far East and North Africa. The scheme was extended by 12 months to allow more veterans to participate, with closing date for applications now being 31st January 2012.

    Time is fast running out and Ted Cachart desperately wants to spread the word and help as many people as possible access the funds before it is too late. Having been through the successful application process himself, Ted is offering to help others do likewise. Based on his personal experience, he is offering general advice and free help with the associated form filling.

    Ted Cachart knows only too well the bravery shown by the men and women who saw active service during World War II. He experienced the terrors himself, from the exceptionally young age of 15 (he 'embellished' his age in order to enlist), and is now appealing to everyone to spread the word that the 'Heroes Return 2' programme is ending in January 2012. It is hoped that many more people can benefit from this opportunity to travel and pay their final and fitting respects, revisit old battlefields and/or visit the sites where their loved ones fought.

    Pte. Frank Victor "Tiny" Cackett .     British Army Battalion   from Ashford, Kent)

    My Grandad, Frank Victor Cackett, was in The Buffs and he was from Ashford, Kent. As far as I'm aware he was captured quite early on and what we can gather from the small snippets he gave, he was on the way to Dunkirk. He didn't speak much about the war at all so we've been trying to find out as much information as possible. He was in the Stalag Luft VIII-B in Cieszyn, Poland and did survive. He passed away in March 1992 from heart issues. He came out only weighing 6 stone and after being told he was fed cabbage soup it's not surprising! He was a bare knuckle fighter also so coming out having the nickname Tiny Cackett is pretty understandable. Just trying to piece the story together really from the little bits we did get from him.

    James J. Cadagan .     United States Army Air Corps   from Erdenheim, PA)

    J. Cadd .     Auxiliary Fire Service Horsham

    Greaser Charles Leo Cadden .     Naval Auxiliary Personnel HMS Forfar   from Bootle, Lancashire)

    (d.2nd Dec 1940)

    L/Cpl. John Cadden .     British Army 1/6th Btn. Queens Royal Rgt (West Surrey) (d.6th Sep 1944)

    I am looking for information about L/Cpl John Cadden. Does anyone have information about him?

    Cpl. Walter Henry Cadden .     British Army 6th Btn. Ox and Bucks Light Infantry (d.6th May 1944)

    I am looking for information about Cpl Walter Cadden. Does any have any information about him?

    Dorothy Ethel Caddy .     Womens Auxiliary Air Force   from Upper Beeding)

    Pte. Charles W. "Hap" Cady .     United States Army Company F 168th   from Miamitown, Ohio)

    My father, Charles W. Cady, was captured on February 17th 1943 in Tunasia during the battle around Kasserine Pass. He was in the 34th Inf. Div., 168th Regement, Company F. He was a POW for 27 months and spent most of his time in Stalag 2B on a work farm detail. He was liberated in April 1945.

    If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated. I do know he was on one of the work farms that were associated with Stalag 2B in Hammerstein and he was force marched out toward the end of the war. I do not know where he was liberated or by whom.

    Pte. Charles William "Hap" Cady .     United States Army "F" Coy. 168th Rgt.   from Miamitown, Ohio)

    Charles W. Cady joined the Army in 1942. He was captured in Tunisia in Northern Africa around Kasserine Pass on 17th February 1943. He eventually was taken to Stalag 2B. He worked in a labour kommando. He was part of the forced march and was liberated on or about 15th April 1945. He spent time in Camp Lucky Strike recuperating before being sent home. When he arrived home he was told that his brother had been killed in Northern France on 22nd November 1944.

    Sgt. Dennis Cahill .     Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 44 Squadron   from Scawthorpe, Yorkshire)

    (d.4th Oct 1944)

    Sergeant (Air Gunner) Dennis Cahill was the son of Thomas and Mildred Powel Cahill, of Scawthorpe, Yorkshire. He was 23 when he died and is buried in the Strandby (Aars) Churchyard in Denmark.

    Austin Cain .     Royal Navy HMS Nelson   from Murton, Co.Durham)

    Pte. Charles Cain .     Royal Army Service Corps   from Cannock Chase, Stafford)

    D. Cain .    

    Stalag 8b

    Henry Cain .     Royal Navy   from Sunderland)

    Maj. Robert Henry Cain VC..     British Army att. 2nd South Staffs. Royal Northumberland Fusiliers   from Isle of Man)

    Robert Henry Cain grew up on the Isle of Man and joined the Territorial Army in 1928. After working overseas he was given an emergency commission into the Army in 1940. He transferred to the South Staffordshire Regiment in 1942, and joined the 2nd Battalion, part of the British 1st Airborne Division. He saw action during the Invasion of Sicily in 1943 and again during the Battle of Arnhem the following year. During the battle Major Cain's company was closely engaged with enemy tanks, self-propelled guns and infantry. Cain continually exposed himself to danger while leading his men and personally dispatched as much enemy armour as possible. Despite sustaining several injuries he refused medical attention and for his gallantry he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

    The 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment was part of 1st Airlanding Brigade which landed in Sicily in July 1943 as part of Operation Ladbroke. In the same month, Cain took command of the battalion's B Company.

    Battle of Arnhem

    The Battle of Arnhem was part of Operation Market Garden, an attempt to secure a string of bridges through the Netherlands. At Arnhem the British 1st Airborne Division and Polish 1st Independent Parachute Brigade were tasked with securing bridges across the Lower Rhine, the final objectives of the operation. However, the airborne forces that dropped on 17 September were not aware that the 9th SS and 10th SS Panzer divisions were also near Arnhem for rest and refit. Their presence added a substantial number of Panzergrenadiers, tanks and self-propelled guns to the German defenses and the Allies suffered heavily in the ensuing battle. Only a small force managed to hold one end of the Arnhem road bridge before being overrun on the 21st. The rest of the division became trapped in a small pocket west of the bridge and had to be evacuated on the 25th. The Allies failed to cross the Rhine, which remained under German control until Allied offensives in March 1945.

    Advance into Arnhem

    The Allies planned to fly the British and Polish to Arnhem in three separate lifts over three days. Major General Roy Urquhart decided to deploy the 1st Airlanding Brigade first, as glider troops could assemble more quickly than parachute infantry and secure the landing areas. Cain took off with the first lift along with two companies of the South Staffords but only five minutes after departing from RAF Manston the tow rope connecting the Albemarle tug to his Horsa glider pulled out of the leading aircraft.[9] After landing safely the glider's occupants were able to fly out the following day with the second lift.

    Two Airborne soldiers demonstrate the PIAT anti tank gun

    In Arnhem the Allied plan quickly unravelled. Only a small group of the 1st Parachute Brigade, mainly elements of Lieutenant Colonel John Frost's 2nd Battalion, were able to reach the bridge. The 1st and 3rd Battalions were unable to penetrate the outer suburbs of the city and their advance stalled, so in order to support them the first lift of the South Staffords were sent forward on the morning of the 18th. When Cain arrived with the second lift they too were sent forward, arriving at the outskirts of Arnhem on the night of the 18th. Lieutenant Colonel David Dobie of the 1st Battalion proposed a concentrated attack on a narrow front between the Lower Rhine and the Arnhem railway line. The South Staffords would advance toward the bridge, with the remnants of the 1st and 3rd Battalions on their right flank, while the 11th Parachute Battalion, remained in reserve.The Staffords moved forward at 4.30am with D Company in the lead, followed by B and A Companies with C Company in reserve. In the area around St Elizabeth Hospital, the lead company met heavy resistance clearing houses and B Company took the lead, getting as far as a dell near the Arnhem City Museum. Here Cain and his men encountered enemy armour for the first time. The company was only armed with PIATs and mortars and although Cain and several of his company opened fire on the tanks and guns, they did not manage to disable any. By 11:30 they had run out of PIAT ammunition and the tanks now dominated the area.[16] Their position was clearly hopeless and so Lieutenant Colonel McCardie, the commanding officer (CO) of 2nd Battalion, The South Staffordshire Regiment, ordered them to withdraw from the dell. Cain fell back with several of his men but few of them were able to escape, while the men of the other companies were forced to surrender in their droves. Cain was the only senior officer of the battalion to escape in what he later described as the "South Staff's Waterloo". As the surviving men fell back through the 11th Battalion's positions, Major Gilchrist (A Company, 11th Battalion) met Cain, who told him that "The tanks are coming, give me a PIAT". Gilchrist was unable to oblige and so the Staffords regrouped behind the 11th Battalion's positions; roughly 100 surviving men forming into five small platoons under Cain's command. Lieutenant Colonel George Lea, commander of the 11th Battalion, ordered them to capture a piece of wooded high ground known as Den Brink to cover a fresh advance, and a bayonet charge quickly cleared the enemy there.However, the thick tree roots on the hill made it impossible to dig in, and after suffering severe casualties, Cain took the decision to withdraw back to Oosterbeek

    Oosterbeek perimeter, A German StuG III at Arnhem.

    The remnants of the four battalions fell back in disarray to the main divisional positions at Oosterbeek. Here they were gathered into defensive units by Lieutenant Colonel Sheriff Thompson, CO 1st Airlanding Light Artillery Regiment, who forcibly stopped many of the panicked troops. Alarmed that the many retreating units would soon leave his own 75 Millimetre Howitzers undefended, he sought out Cain, the most senior officer, and ordered him to form the men into a defensive screen ahead of the gun positions. Thompson later sent Major Richard Lonsdale to take command of these outlying troops, and throughout Wednesday 20 they weathered strong German attacks before falling back to the main divisional perimeter. The sector was designated "Thompson Force", but was renamed "Lonsdale Force" when Thompson was wounded the following day. To the north and west of Oosterbeek other units fell back in the face of strong German resistance and over the next few days a thumb shaped perimeter formed around the town, with the Rhine at its base.

    Lonsdale Force's sector covered the southern end of the eastern perimeter, and Cain was one of three Majors defending this sector of the line. As the battle progressed he became determined to destroy as much enemy armour as possible[25] and sited himself in a laundry's garden, much to the chagrin of the Dutch owner. Over the coming days Cain was everywhere, dealing with armour and snipers and encouraging his men. On the afternoon of Thursday 21st two tanks approached Cain's position. Guided by a colleague in a building above him, Cain waited in a trench until the first tank�actually a StuG III self-propelled gun (SPG)was close enough to engage. The SPG fired at the building, killing Cain's colleague and showering him with masonry but despite this, Cain kept his position. Staff Sergeant Richard Long of the Glider Pilot Regiment remembered that through the clouds of dust, Cain fired round after round from his PIAT until the SPG was disabled,[26] but whilst engaging the second tank a round exploded in the PIAT with a bright flash and Cain was thrown backwards. Cain recalled thinking he was blind and "shouting like a hooligan. I shouted to somebody to get onto the PIAT because there was another tank behind. I blubbered and yelled and used some very colourful language. They dragged me off to the aid post."[30] The British brought forward one of the Light Regiment's 75mm guns which blew the tank apart.

    Witnesses believed that Cain was incapacitated, but within half an hour his sight returned. He refused morphia and against all advice returned to the front lines, deciding that he "wasn't wounded enough to stay where [he] was". On the following day his eardrums burst from the constant firing and barrage, but he was content to stuff his ears with bandages and continue fighting. On Sunday 24th, shortly after a truce to allow the evacuation of casualties, Cain was alerted to the approach of a Tiger tank. Together with a Royal Artillery gunner he raced for a 6 pounder anti-tank gun, manoeuvred it into position, fired and disabled the tank. He wanted to continue using the gun, but the recoil mechanism was destroyed.

    By 25 September, the area occupied by the Lonsdale Force saw heavy fighting against self-propelled guns, flame thrower tanks, and infantry. There were no PIATs available to the force by now; instead Cain armed himself with a two inch mortar. Mortars are muzzle-loading indirect fire weapons but Cain was forced to fire it on an almost horizontal plane due to the enemy's proximity. His citation states that his leadership ensured that the South Staffordshire gave no ground and drove the enemy off in complete disorder. By the end of the Battle, Cain had been reportedly responsible for the destruction or disabling of six tanks, four of which were Tigers, as well as a number of self-propelled guns.

    That night the Division began to withdraw in Operation Berlin. Many men shaved and blackened their faces and Cain removed a week's growth of beard from his face, drying himself on his dirty, blood-soaked Denison smock. After successfully crossing the Rhine, this led Brigadier 'Pip' Hicks to comment "there's one officer, at least, who's shaved". Cain made sure all of his men were over the river by dawn, before he himself crossed in an old boat

    "War Office, 2nd November, 1944. The King has been graciously pleased to approve awards of the Victoria Cross to Captain (temporary Major) Robert Henry Cain (129484), The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, (attd. The South Staffordshire Regiment, I Airborne Division).

    In Holland on 19th September, 1944, Major Cain was commanding a rifle company of the South Staffordshire Regiment during the Battle of Arnhem when his company was cut off from the rest of the battalion and during the next six days was closely engaged with enemy tanks, self-propelled guns and infantry. The Germans made repeated attempts to break into the company position by infiltration and had they succeeded in doing so the whole situation of the Airborne Troops would have been jeopardised.

    Major Cain, by his outstanding devotion to duty and remarkable powers of leadership, was to a large extent personally responsible for saving a vital sector from falling into the hands of the enemy. On 20th September a Tiger tank approached the area held by his company and Major Cain went out alone to deal with it armed with a Piat. Taking up a position he held his fire until the tank was only 20 yards away when he opened up. The tank immediately halted and turned its guns on him, shooting away a corner of the house near where this officer was lying. Although wounded by machine gun bullets and falling masonry, Major Cain continued firing until he had scored several direct hits, immobilised the tank and supervised the bringing up of a 75 mm. howitzer which completely destroyed it. Only then would he consent to have his wounds dressed.

    In the next morning this officer drove off three more tanks by the fearless use of his Piat, on each occasion leaving cover and taking up position in open ground with complete disregard for his personal safety. During the following days, Major Cain was everywhere where danger threatened, moving amongst his men and encouraging them by his fearless example to hold out. He refused rest and medical attention in spite of the fact that his hearing had been seriously impaired because of a perforated eardrum and he was suffering from multiple wounds. On 25th of September the enemy made a concerted attack on Major Cain's position, using self-propelled guns, flame throwers and infantry. By this time the last Piat had been put out of action and Major Cain was armed with only a light 2" mortar. However, by a skilful use of this weapon and his daring leadership of the few men still under his command, he completely demoralized the enemy who, after an engagement lasting more than three hours, withdrew in disorder.

    Throughout the whole course of the Battle of Arnhem, Major Cain showed superb gallantry. His powers of endurance and leadership were the admiration of all his fellow officers and stories of his valour were being constantly exchanged amongst the troops. His coolness and courage under incessant fire could not be surpassed."

    Later in the war he took part in Operation Doomsday, where the 1st Airborne Division oversaw the German surrender in Norway Operation Doomsday, Cain travelled to Oslo, Norway, with the 1st Airlanding Brigade on 11 May 1945. Working with Milorg (the Norwegian resistance), the British took the surrender of German troops in Norway without incident, before returning to the UK on 25 August 1945.

    Pte. Ronald Cain .     British Army 8th Btn. Sherwood Foresters   from Worksop, Nottinghamshire.)

    (d.6th May 1945)

    Ronald Cain was the son of William and Margaret Jane Cain of Worksop, Nottinghamshire. He was aged 25 when he died and is buried in the Rechenberg-Bienenmuhle Cemetery in Germany.

    WO Edward Maurice Cairnduff .     Royal Air Force 203 Sqdn.

    Trooper Adam Jamieson Cairns .     British Army Scots Greys   from Edinburgh)

    My father,Adam Cairns,was captured in Crete in 1940 and spent the remainder of the war as a POW in Wolfsburg Camp Stalag 18a in Austria.We have no idea how he came to be in Crete as he was in the Regular Army and had been posted to Palestine in 1938 and was in a Calvary Regiment.

    Flt.Sgt. Frank Cairns .     Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve 299 Squadron   from Crosby, Liverpool)

    (d.12th April 1945)

    Flight Sergeant (Navigator) Frank Cairns was the son of George Henry and Florence Cairns of Crosby, Liverpool. He was 23 when he died and is buried directly behind the church in the Helligso Churchyard in Denmark.

    Sgt. John Cairns .     British Army Royal Artillery

    Ken Caithness .     Royal Air Force 70 Sqdn.

    My father, Ken Caithness, was in 70 Squadron during WWII. He joined just after Kabrit in Italy. He clearly remembers them taking delivery of some very sandy Wimpeys from there, and he and his mates not being impressed. He also remembers that the equipment that came with them, and especially the tents, were full of sand, knocked about and not much use.

    Pvt. William Erniest Cake .     Australian Army   from Australia)

    POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan

    Jimmy Calderwood .     British Army Royal Scots Fusiliers

    Jimmy Calderwood served with the Royal Scots Fusiliers

    Pvt Ray R. Caldwell .     United States Army CAC 60th CA Regt (AA) K Btry K Coast Artillery Corps   from Coptville, Texas)

    POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and survivor of the Oryoku Maru

    Cpl. Harold Arthur Caley .     British Army 1st Air Formation Royal Corps of Signals   from Liverpool)

    My father Harold Caley was a dispatch rider and had an accident whilst on a run from Algeria through the road over the Atlas mountains to the Tunis Front in January 1943.

    The following is an extract from his book 'A Jumble of Memories and Odd Thoughts': "At the foot of the mountains, everything! Every vehicle, every person had to stop, nothing moved during daylight but as soon as the sky became dark everyone was on the move. The road had a sign at the start showing the number of vehicles shot up and the latest death toll on the 20 mile straight stretch known as 'Messerschmitt Alley'. On the evening I was there, immediately I was given the word 'go', I started down the 'alley', but a poor motor cyclist had no chance; the Americans had no motor cycles, only jeeps and not many of them, in the main it was wagons, tanks, guns and American half tracks carrying troops. It was an American half track that put paid to me and the bike. The Americans held to the middle of the road going like hell and gave no room to anyone or anything. I don't remember much about being hit, one moment I was riding right at the side of the road with no lights on and next thing I remember was being in a New Zealander's 30cwt truck taking me to a field hospital. I had been found unconscious with blood everywhere, two black eyes and my nose not broken but pretty bloody. In hospital on a stretcher for eight days then I was back in camp with eight mates in a tent. At least no charge for losing the bike!"

    Floyd Calhoun .     United States Army 85 Div. 339th Infantry Rgt.

    My father is Floyd Calhoun, 339th Infantry, 85 Division. He was a POW in Stalag 7a in 1944 and 1945. He was a tall red-headed guy from Georgia and is trying to find some of his older friends including P. Philipp Wang. Please email me if you remember him.

    Pte. Percy Caligari .     British Army Parachute Regiment   from Liverpool)

    I am tracing my grandfathers war record. Percy Caligari died in 1966 before I was born. I know he was in the Parachute Regiment in Liverpool in the 50's/60's. I believe he may have served in Italy as he met his wife over there and she came to England where they had two children. Any information you may have about Percy would be gratefully received.

    Next Page    Last Page    

    Can you help us to add to our records?

    The names and stories on this website have been submitted by their relatives and friends. If your relations are not listed please add their names so that others can read about them

    Did you or your relatives live through the Second World War? Do you have any photos, newspaper clippings, postcards or letters from that period? Have you researched the names on your local or war memorial? Were you or your relative evacuated? Did an air raid affect your area?

    If so please let us know.

    Help us to build a database of information on those who served both at home and abroad so that future generations may learn of their sacrifice.

    Celebrate your own Family History

    Celebrate by honouring members of your family who served in the Secomd World War both in the forces and at home. We love to hear about the soldiers, but also remember the many who served in support roles, nurses, doctors, land army, muntions workers etc.

    Please use our Family History resources to find out more about your relatives. Then please send in a short article, with a photo if possible, so that they can be remembered on these pages.

    The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.

    This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.

    If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.

    Hosted by:

    The Wartime Memories Project Website

    is archived for preservation by the British Library

    Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
    - All Rights Reserved