- HMS Canopus during the Second World War -
If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Allied Air Forces
Prisoners of War
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
TWMP on Facebook
Your Family History
HMS Canopus was a naval shore establishment at Alexandria in Egypt.
If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.
Those known to have sailed in
during the Second World War 1939-1945.
- Bigelow Frank Herndon. Y3/C.
- Bowdell Henry. Able.Sea.
- Bowdell Henry. Able Sea.
- Brownell Theodore A. Richard. Chief Y
- Chippendale Harold.
- Cicha John Rudolph. Cox
The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.
- Looking for help with Family History Research? Please read our Family History FAQ'sIf you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Research your own Family History.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
Able.Sea. Henry Bowdell HMS RevengeMy father, Henry (Harry) Bowdell S/N JX 275361, went to HMS Collingwood on 25th June to September 1941. His service record is as follows:
- Collingwood ( Foretop Div) Ordinary Seaman from 25/06/1941 to 02/09/1941.
- Victory Ordinary Seaman 03/09/1941 to 30/09/1941
- Canopus Ordinary Seaman 01/10/1941 23/05/1942 lent to Sphinx 29/04/1942 to 03/05/1942
- Hurworth Ordinary Seaman 24/05/1942 to 30/06/1942 Acting Able Seaman from 25/06/1942 Able Seaman from 25/06/1942
- Revenge Able Seaman 01/07/1942 to 23/11/1943
- Victory Able Seaman 24/11/1943 to 06/01/1944
- Vernon Able Seaman 07/01/1944 t6o 23/03/1944
- Victory Able Seaman 24/03/1944 to 29/11/1945 lent to Admiralty 12/01/1945 to 12/01/1945
Henry Bowdell was released to shore in class A on 29th November 1945 Photos of my Father in the Royal Navy 1941 to 1945 attached.Gordon Bowdell
Chief Y Theodore A. Richard Brownell USS CanopusSurvivor of the Oryoku Maru and a POW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Cox John Rudolph Cicha USS Canopus
Able Sea. Henry Bowdell HMS CollingwoodMy father Henry Bowdell S/N JX 275361 went to HMS Collingwood on 25th June to September 1941. His service record is as follows:
Collingwood (Foretop Div) Ordinary Seaman from 25/06/1941 to 02/09/1941
Victory Ordinary Seaman 03/09/1941 to 30/09/1941
Canopus Ordinary Seaman 01/10/1941 23/05/1942
Lent to Sphinx 29/04/1942 to 03/05/1942
Hurworth Ordinary Seaman 24/05/1942 to 30/06/1942
Acting Able Seaman from 25/06/1942; Able Seaman from 25/06/1942
Revenge Able Seaman 01/07/1942 to 23/11/1943
Victory Able Seaman 24/11/1943 to 06/01/1944
Vernon Able Seaman 07/01/1944 to 23/03/1944
Victory Able Seaman 24/03/1944 to 29/11/1945
Lent to Admiralty 12/01/1945 to 12/01/1945
Harry Bowdell was released to shore in class A on 29th November 1945.Gordon Bowdell
Harold Chippendale HMS WoolwichLooking for information on my granddad, Harold Chippendale and the ships he was on. Specifically, information on HMS Woolwich and what role the ship had in the Mediterranean war. Harold was on the ship from 1st August 1939 to 15th January 1943, then went to HMS Canopus.Jonathan Raine
Available at discounted prices.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved