- HMS President III during the Second World War -
If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Allied Air Forces
Prisoners of War
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
TWMP on Facebook
Your Family History
HMS President III
If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.
Those known to have sailed in
HMS President III
during the Second World War 1939-1945.
- Fidling Harry Bernard. (d.15th Oct 1942)
- Maples James.
- Ross Robert. Able Sea. (d.7th Dec 1941)
- Smith Richard. Able Sea. (d.7th Dec 1941)
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List
The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.
- The 1st of September 2017 is The Wartime Memories Project's 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.
- To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
- Looking for help with Family History Research? Please read our Family History FAQ's
- The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Research your own Family History.
Dec 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 237716, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.
If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes.Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
Harry Bernard Fidling HMS Birmingham (d.15th Oct 1942)I am searching for any records of an Uncle I never knew, he was my Father's brother, Harry Bernard Fidling. We know he served on the Birmingham but have very little knowledge about his movements, life or death. In fact my Father, now aged 77 has always maintained that his eldest brother Harry was killed when H.M.S. Birmingham was sunk. I now discover that it wasn’t sunk and Uncle Harry may have transferred to another ship?
Update: Harry lost his life on 15th Oct 1942 on board H.M.S. President III and is commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial.Stuart Fidling
James Maples HMS President IIIPhoto taken of everyone in HMS President III in 1945. My great uncle James Maples was serving at the time.Ian Frost
Able Sea. Robert Ross HMS President III (d.7th Dec 1941)Able Seaman Robert Ross was 24 when he died and is buried in the Klaksvik Cemetery in the Faroe Islands, Grave 789.s flynn
Able Sea. Richard Smith HMS President III (d.7th Dec 1941)Able Seaman Richard Smith was 33 when he died and is buried in the Klaksvik Cemetery in the Faroe Islands.s flynn
Available at discounted prices.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved