- HMS Goodall during the Second World War -
If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Allied Air Forces
Prisoners of War
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
TWMP on Facebook
Your Family History
If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.
Those known to have sailed in
during the Second World War 1939-1945.
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List
The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.
- To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
- Looking for help with Family History Research? Please read our Family History FAQ's
- The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Research your own Family History.
June 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 232065, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.
If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes.Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
CPO. Harold Wilkinson HMS. LiverpoolHarold Wilkinson signed up for the Royal Navy on 5th June 1928 for 12 years. He was due to come out in 1940 but as War broke out in 1939 he was kept in service for the duration. He rose from the Rank of Stoker 2nd Class to Petty Officer Stoker at time of de-mob in 1945. He ended up serving 17 years for which he was awarded the Long Service Good Conduct Medal.
My father remembers a story my Grandmother told of how when Harold was aboard HMS Liverpool they were Torpedoed and the bow was badly damaged so had to sail astern (backward) to Alexandra fo repairs, I believe the attack came from Italian Torpedo Planes? Later he was on Atlantic crossing convoy duties and then in Home waters where he ended his time with the Royal Navy.
During the war he served on H.M.S. Liverpool. 1938 - 1941, HMS. Resolution. 1941 - 1941, HMS. Calpe. 1941 - 1942, at shore bases 1942 - 1943, HMS. Goodall. 1945 - 1944 and HMS. Vindictive. 1944 - 1945. He never earned any Bravery or Gallantry Medals but was a hero all the same, as were all who served.Andy Wilkinson
PO.Tel. George Finlay HMS Goodall (d.29th Apr 1945)George Finlay who died aged 24 was born in Jarrow in 1920, the son of John George and Honoria Elizabeth Finlay (nee Ryan) of Jarrow.
George is remembered on the Chatham Naval Memorial and is commemorated on the WW2 Roll of Honour Plaque in the entrance of Jarrow Town Hall.Vin Mullen
Available at discounted prices.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved