- HMS Ajax during the Second World War -
If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Allied Air Forces
Prisoners of War
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
TWMP on Facebook
Your Family History
If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.
Those known to have sailed in
during the Second World War 1939-1945.
- Dennis Les. Gnr.
- Morden William.
- Pike William Jordan. Able Sea. (d.15th Nov 1942)
- Reid William Joseph. Pte.
- Wiles Frederick.
- Wood Bertram. Stoker 1/Cl. (d.1942)
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List
The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.
- The 1st of September 2017 is The Wartime Memories Project's 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.
- To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
- Looking for help with Family History Research? Please read our Family History FAQ's
- The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Research your own Family History.
Dec 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 237716, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.
If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes.Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
There are 1 pages in our library tagged HMS Ajax These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Second World War.
Pte. William Joseph Reid 2nd Btn. Yorks & Lancs Rgt.My father, Joe Reid, did not talk much about his wartime experiences except for praising the Australians, Kiwis and soldiers from the Black Watch. I have always wanted to know what my Dad did in the war and would like to correspond with anyone who knew him or the movements of his regiment.
He joined up as a regular in August 1933 with the 2nd Yorks and Lancs after being in the TA for three years. I know he was in India in 1937 and Sudan when the WW2 broke out. I also know that he went over to Crete in 1941 but had to evacuate for obvious reasons. It's really this period that I am at a loss to. He got badly shot on HMS Ajax and was captured by the Germans. He spent the rest of the war in Stalag XV111a in Germany as POW 6301.
My father sadly died in 1988 and had a good life but if any of you remember him and would like to get in touch, please feel free to email me.Martin Taylor-Reid
Frederick Wiles HMS AjaxMy uncle Frederick Wiles served on HMS Ajax in the Second World War. He married Lottie and later called his white boxer Ajax.Jeanette Moorhouse
Stoker 1/Cl. Bertram Wood DSM HMS Ark Royal (d.1942)My grandfather, Bertram Wood DSM, served in the Royal Navy from 1924 until April 1942, when he was killed. He served in HMS Ark Royal, HMS Royal Sovereign, HMS Pembroke, HMS Chatham, HMS Repulse, HMS Renown, HMS Ramillies, HMS Valiant, HMS Pegasus, HMS Ajax and HMS Havock.Carol Broomfield
Able Sea. William Jordan Pike HMS Ajax (d.15th Nov 1942)My relative, Bill Pike served on the HMS Ajax, HMS Warspite and lost his life on the HMS Avenger in November 1942. He spent time at the Chatham Naval Barracks. Any information would be greatly appreciated.Chelsea Collings
Gnr. Les Dennis HMS AjaxI have a written document by gunner Les Dennis of HMS Ajax about her role in the battle with the Graf Spee on 13th of December 1939. I also have an audio tape narrated by Les Dennis which I think should be preserved for historical purposes. Is there still in existance the HMS Ajax Association and any survivors of the Battle.E Webster
William Morden HMS AjaxWilliam Morden served on HMS Ajax and was present at the Battle of the River Plate.
Available at discounted prices.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved