- Fukuoka #17 during the Second World War -
POW Camp Index
If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Allied Air Forces
Prisoners of War
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
TWMP on Facebook
Your Family History
Fukuoka #17 was situated on the bay of Omuta, about 17 miles northwest of Kumamoto and 40 miles south of the city of Fukuoka in Japan.
2nd Sep 1945 POW Camp Fukuoka 17 at Omuta was liberated liberated on the 2nd September 1945.
2nd Sep 1945
If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.
Those known to have been held in or employed at
during the Second World War 1939-1945.
- Aartsma Adolf. Cpl.
- Abbot Samuel Woodrow. Sk1C
- Abbot Shirley Jack. S/Condr
- Ables Hugh F. Pte (d.27th November 1944)
- Ablett Norman Lesley. Pvt.
- Adam Johannes Pieter. Sgt. ML
- Adames Alfred William. Pvt.
- Adams Berdine. Pvt.
- Adams Edward Berdine. Cpl.
- Adams John Carroll. Pfc.
- Aegerter Robert Paul. S/Sgt.
- Aguilar Maclovio. Pvt.
- Aiken James Murray. Pvt.
- Albert Phillip. Pvt.
- Alchin Meryvn. Pvt.
- Alderson Herbert John. Drv.
- Aldrich Robert Leroy. Sgt.
- Allen George. Pvt.
- Allen Hugh Hunter. Cpl.
- Allen Neville. Pvt
- Allen Walter Paul. Pvt.
- Allyn James Joseph. Pvc
- Altendorf Melvin Rihards. Cpl.
- Anderson Donald Godfrey. Pvt.
- Anderson Donald Raymond. Pvt.
- Anderson William George A.. Pvt.
- Andreottola Samuel Joseph. Pvt.
- Andringa Arthur Richard. Pvt.
- Ard Oliver. Pfc.
- Arends Andrew George. Pvt.
- Arends Teunis Cornelis. Sgt
- Armijo Manuel Anastacio. Sgt.
- Armstrong Alfred. Cpl.
- Armstrong Russell Graham. L/Cpl.
- Arnold George Richard. Pvt.
- Arnud Ernist Victor. Pvt.
- Arts Theodorus. Cpl.
- Aschenbrenner Reinholdt. Pfc.
- Aspin James. Dvr.
- Atkinson Leonard James M.. Pvt.
- Atwood Troyse Elmore . Pvt.
- Augustin Ragnavald.
- Auld Forrest Francis. Pvt.
- Auwerda Johannes. Sgt.
- Ayers Andrew Jackson. Pvt.
- Ayers Billy Alvin. Pvt.
- Backhaus Herman Fred.
- Badinier Harry Jules. Pte.
- Bailey John Ernest. Pvt.
- Bailey Robert Allen. Cpl.
- Bailey Stuart. Cpl.
- Bain Alexander. Dvr.
- Bal Dirk. Fus.
- Balaza Charles. Cpl.
- Ball James. S/Sgt.
- Bange Jan Albertus H.. Sld.
- Banks Darcy Lyndsay. Sgt.
- Bannattyne William. Pvt.
- Barber Obie Eugene. Pvt
- Barka Thomas. Pvt.
- Barker Gordon. Pvt.
- Barker Kenneth Sybray. Dvr.
- Barnes Roy Herschell. Pfc.
- Barnett Elliott Norman. Pvt.
- Barnett Victor George. Pvt.
- Barreras Joseph. PFC.
- Barrett Russell Edward. Fldck.
- Basham Charles E.. S/Sgt.
- Bashleben James Phillip. Sgt.
- Batchelor Franklin Stillman. Pvt.
- Bates Arnold. Cpl.
- Batten Dennis H.. Dvr.
- Bauer Boudewijn Franz . Sgt.
- Baxter Allen John. Pvt.
- Beall John Foster. Capt. (d.8th February 1945)
- Beasley Russell Eugene. Pfc.
- Beattie Alan Robert. Pvt.
- Becher Wesley Lincoln. S/Sgt.
- Becraft Leroy Truman. Pvt.
- Bee William Arthur. Sig.
- Beekwilder Hendrikus Wilhelmus Bernardus . Sgt.Art.
- Beets Nicolaas. Sld.
- Beger Wilbur Joseph. S/Sgt.
- Behn Johan Christiaan. Sld
- Belford William. Sgt.
- Bell Albert Alexander. Pte.
- Bell Robert. Pte.
- Bemmel Adriaan Cornelis. Sgt.
- Benedum George D.. Sgt.
- Benjamin John Henry. Pte.
- Benjamin Vernon Alfred H.. Pte.
- Bennett George William. Pte.
- Bennett Jack. Pte.
- Bennett James Oscar. Cpl.
- Bennett James Peter. T/Sgt.
- Beresford Eric Stanley. Pte.
- Berger Charles W..
- Bergers Karel. Cad.Sgt.
- Berrevoets Bernardus P.. Sld.
- Best John. Pte.
- Beukers Hendrik Johannes. Sgt.Mach.
- Beune Henke. Sgt. (d.3rd Mar 1945)
- Bevan Trevor Richard. Dvr.
- Bicker Harold Stanley. Ldg Stoker
- Bickerton Jack G.. Cpl.
- Bickley Robert Gray. sh.ck
- Biddy Floyd Acey. Pfc.
- Bigelow Frank Herndon. Y3/C.
- Bijl Willem Johannes. Sld.
- Bilek Anton Frank. S/Sgt.
- Billamore Frank. Sgm.
- Birch Albert. Dvr.
- Bishop John J.. Pte.
- Bishop, William. Cpl.
- Blair Alexander Youngson. L/Cpl.
- Blair Thomas Nichol. Pte.
- Blank Samuel. Pte.
- Blanton Jack Mortimer. L/Cpl.
- Block C. U..
- Bloemendaal Pieter. Sld.
- Blok Bernardus Johannes F.. Cpl.
- Bloxham Selwyn James. Pte.
- Blujus Stanely Joseph. Cpl.
- Bochardt August Wilhelm F.. Sgt.
- Boehm Lucien Charles. MM2C.
- Boetcher Harold John. Pfc.
- Boettger Wilford Firdand. Pte.
- Bohannon Carl Eugene. S/Sgt.
- Bohn Thomas Peter. Cpl.
- Bolder Wilhelms Hendrik. Kan
- Bolten Hugh Murray. Pvt.
- Bond Valiant. Sgm.
- Bone Alfred Frank. Cpl.
- Bongers Wilhelm. Sld.
- Booker Robert. L/Cpl.
- Boon, Jack Rider. Cpl.
- Boorer David Louis. Sgt.
- Boren Homer Andrew. Pvt.
- Borgesius J. Willem. Sld.
- Borley Sydney Herbert. Pte.
- Bos Floris Gozewienus. Fus.
- Bos Hendrik. Kwn
- Bossema Berend. Sk.
- Bott John Thomas. Dvr.
- Bottroff Martin Elmer. Pvt.
- Boundy Richard. Pvt.
- Bourke Charles Norris. Pvt.
- Bowen Dennis Charles. WO II
- Boxman S..
- Boyd James Aubrey. Cpl.
- Boyles Joseph M..
- Bradley James. Pvt.
- Bradley William John. Ac 2
- Brady Dumont W.. S/Sgt.
- Brakkee Pieter. Sgt.
- Branchett Wilfred Ernest. Dvr.
- Bras Gerrit. 2e kl
- Braun Christiaan. Sgt.
- Breavington Frederic W.. L/Cpl.
- Breeman Hendrik. CadetVdg
- Brenner Frank William. Pvt.
- Breur Hendrik Godfried A.. Skl.
- Brian Stanley. Dvr.
- Brice Edward Henry. Dvr.
- Briggs Owen George. L/Cpl.
- Britnell Frederick. Pte.
- Broadbent Lorre. Cpl.
- Brock James Byron. Cpl.
- Brodie Alexander William. Pvt.
- Broersma Albert. Sgt.
- Bronk Theodore Tobias. 1st Lt. Medic
- Brooker Frederick Charles. Cpl.
- Brookshire Ray William. Pvt.
- Broomhall Allan James. Pvt.
- Brosnan John. Sgt.
- Brown Arthur Vincent. Pvt.
- Brown Charlie. Pvt.
- Brown Edric Lenworth. Dvr.
- Brown Ronald. Sgt.
- Brownell Theodore A. Richard. Chief Y
- Browning Wesley Clifton . Sgt.
- Bruce Jackson. Pvt.
- Bruce Marion E.. Pfc. (d.26 Dec. 1944)
- Bruer John Jacob. Cpl.
- Brukers H. J..
- Brunsmann Eduard Marius. Sgt.
- Brunsmann Jean Marie. Sld.
- Bryden Richard Glencairn. WO1
- Buchanan Arthur Ray. Pfc.
- Buchanan Ernest Alexander. Pte.
- Buchanan Ralph Hampton. Pvt.
- Buckley Joseph. Pvt.
- Buffone Louis. Pvt.
- Buggs Lester Raymond. Pfc.
- Bullivant Perc George. ABS
- Bullock George Luther. Cpl.
- Bullock Orlinza Appleton. Pvt.
- Bulmer George William H.. Dvr.
- Bump Grover Cleveland. Pvt.
- Burch Ray. Pfc,
- Burgh Arend Johannes. Cpl.
- Burghgraef Egbert. Sld.
- Burk Richard Patrick. Cpl.
- Burkeholder Eugene P.. Cpl.
- Burnett Charles Leonard. Cpl.
- Burns Herbert. Pvt.
- Burns Isaac. Pvt.
- Burt G. V..
- Bush Kenneth Thomas. Pvt.
- Bush Walter David. Dvr.
- Butler Charles Hugh. Pfc.
- Butler Edwin James. Pfc. (d.7 February 1945)
- Byars William Raynard. Pvt.
- Byrne Arthur James. Sgt.
- Cake William Erniest. Pvt.
- Caldwell Ray R.. Pvt
- Cameron Robert. Dvr.
- Cameron William Stuart. Pvt.
- Campbell Billy. Pvt.
- Campbell Teddy Carroll. Pvt.
- Campbell Utah Albert. Cpl.
- Campbell William James. Cpl.
- Campbell, Thomas William. Pte.
- Carey James M.. Cpl.
- Carleton William. Pte.
- Carr Edward William. PFC. (d.6th Sep 1945)
- Carringer Wayne. Sgt.
- Carrizales Raymond Gonzales. Pvt.
- Carroll Bernard. Pte.
- Carroll Junious Geary. Cpl.
- Carroll Patrick John. Pvt
- Carroll Richard Cyril. Pvt.
- Carson Andrew D.. Cpl.
- Carson Christopher T.. Pvt. (d.09 July 1945)
- Cartwright William. Sgt.
- Carver Dennis. Pvt.
- Cassidy Ronald Charles. Pvt/Dvr.
- Cassin Joseph. Pfc.
- Casto Wallace E.. Cpl.
- Cates Robert Dale. Pte.
- Caughlin George Anzac. Pte.
- Cecka Robert Graver . Pte.
- Chalcroft Percy. Pte.
- Chambers Edwin Charles. Pfc
- Chandler Drolan. Pvt.
- Chandler Lewell Freeman. Sgt.
- Chapa David Nunez. Pvt.
- Chapple Fredrick Robert. Pte.
- Charite Jacobus Johannes. Sld.
- Charman Keith Joseph. Pte.
- Chase Harry Arthur. PFC.
- Chavos Angelo Sam. Cpl.
- Cheek Arthur William. Pte.
- Chidwick Charles. Cpl.
- Childs Herbert. Cpl.
- Chipchase Oswald. L/Cpl.
- Christie Charles Phillip. 2nd.Lt.
- Chumley George Evertt. Pfc.
- Cicha John Rudolph. Cox
- Claereboets Willy Beatus . Fus.
- Clark Donald Larry. Sgt.
- Clark Lesley Albert. Cpl.
- Clark Sidney. L/Cpl.
- Clarke Thomas. Pte.
- Clarke Thomas. Pte.
- Clarke William. Pte.
- Clay Leo William. Pte.
- Claydon Frank. Pte.
- Cleaver William Fred. Pte.
- Cleboski Leon Adam. Cpl.
- Clements W. T.. Pfc.
- Clifford Thomas. Sgt.
- Coburn Deas Alexander. PhM/2c
- Coder Otto W.. Pte.
- Coffelt Clarence Eugene. Pfc.
- Cole John William. Pte.
- Cole Marshall Noel. Pte.
- Cole Roy Lee. Cpl.
- Coleman Gilbert Raymond. Pte.
- Collins Charles Price. Pte.
- Collins John. Pte.
- Collins Joseph Perry. Cpl.
- Colvin Joe Leonard. Pfc
- Coman Walter. Pte.
- Comeaux Horace Joseph. Pte.
- Connelly Mervyn Joseph. S/Sgt
- Connor Roy James. Pte.
- Cook Heston Ben. Pte.
- Cook William Thomas. Pte.
- Cooper Edwin. L/Cpl.
- Cope Artie. Pfc.
- Cordova Richard Boettio. Cpl.
- Cordwell Benjamin Shaw. Pte.
- Corre Harry. Cpl.
- Corsarie Albert Joseph. Pvt.
- Costello Richard James. Cpl.
- Cote Victor Honore. Sgt.
- Coughlan Dennis Joseph. L/Cpl.
- Coulter Edward. Spr.
- Court Julian Caesar. Sgt.
- Cowand William Jasper. Cpl
- Cowrie John George. Pte.
- Cox Donald Harold. Sgt.
- Cox Hugh K. S/Sgt.
- Cox Jesse Harold. S/Sgt.
- Cox Oscar Avery. Pte.
- Cox, Geoffrey Frederick. Pte.
- Craig George Morgan. Sgt.
- Cramp Thomas. L/Cpl.
- Crane Thomas James. Gnr
- Cravens Maynard C.. Pte.
- Crenore Lawrence William. S/Sgt.
- Crews Jeremiah Valentine. Medic.Phar.
- Crimmins Reginald Ernest. Pte.
- Crimmons Clayton Alfred. Pfc.
- Crooks Leslie. Cpl.
- Crosby Loyal E..
- Cross George Fletcher. Dvr.
- Crow Roderick Bruce. Pte.
- Crowell George Wyman. PhMlFC.
- Crumpacker Lloyd. Pte
- Crupper Charles Glenn. Pvt.
- Cruvey Percival Henry. Cpl.
- Cruz David Robert. Pvt.
- Cunningham Angus. Pte.
- Cunnington Thomas James. Pte.
- Curby Douglas Frank. L/Bdr.
- Curet Fred. Sgt.
- Curtis George Lester.
- Cutalo Nickolas S.. Pfc.
- Cyr Clifford Charles. TM-1C.
- Czarnecki Stanley. Pvt.
- Daendels Jack. Sgt.
- Dahmen Charles William. Slr
- Dale Dewey N. Cpl.
- Dale Lee Albright. Cpl.
- Dallago Valentine R.. Pfc.
- Daniel Paul. Sld.
- Daniels Nevill Charles Walter. Gnr.
- Dann Lawrence Richard. Pte.
- Darphorn Arie. Sgt.Mach.
- Daughtery Benny Jason. Pfc.
- Davey Leonard Alfred. Pte.
- Davidson Harley John. Gnr.
- Davies Edward Jon. Sgt.
- Davies Ivor. Dvr.
- Davis Charles George. Sgt.
- Davis Jay B.. L/Sgt.
- Davis Paul. Pvt.
- Dawson Albert Walker. Pte.
- Dawson Neil Trevor. Pte.
- Day Maurice. Dvr.
- Dayble Robert George. Pte.
- Dean William George. LAC.
- deBoer Jan. Cpl.
- Deeth Frederick George. Gnr.
- Deissner George D.. Pte (d.31st Jul 1944)
- Deissner George D.. Pvt. (d.31st Jul 1944)
- Dekkers Cornelis. Sgt.
- DelPino Antonio. Pte.
- Demars Virgil Dickerson. Pfc.
- Denkelaar Ellis Peter. Sld.
- Denny Marvin Wakerfierld. Pfc.
- Deogh Reginald Burton. Pvt.
- Dering Siebrand. Fus.
- Derkenne Edward Gerard. S/Sgt.
- Derrick William Taft. PhM/1C
- Derry Arthur Leone. Pvt.
- Dessauer Wiley John. Pvt.
- Dewey Geoffrey. Sgt.
- Dews Ira Lake. Spr.
- Di Charles. Ctm.
- Diaz Louis A.. Sgt.
- Dibbets Julius Gerard Johan. Sld.
- Diepenveen Frans. Sgt.
- Dijkstra Gerardus Augusto. Cpl.
- Dikkeschey Jacob C.T.. Sgt.
- Dinneen Glen Daniel. Pvt.
- Dinon Joseph. Pvt.
- Dixon Garnet Frank. Pvt.
- Doderico Bert. Dvr.
- Dodson Merrill Eugene. PhM3/C.
- Dodsworth William Robert. Sgt.
- Dolan Vivien Alfred. W/O.
- Doresit Charles Leonard.
- Dorfel Friedrick. Slr
- Dorris Reynolds Othello. Pvt.
- Dorsey James Lovell. F2/C.
- Dotter Floyd Harry. Pvt.
- Drake Leslie Claude. Dvr.
- Draper Douglas Lavington. WO.
- Dryden William. Pte.
- DuBois Albert J.. Pvt.
- Duckworth Edrew Hansel. Pvt.
- Dudley Alex Ernest. Gnr.
- Dudley Floyd Joy. Sgt.
- Duggan Edward James. Cpl.
- Duggin John Alan. Pte.
- Duijshart A. Ch.. Sgt.
- Dumas Manson. Sgt.
- Dumbrell Douglas Wilmot. Pte.
- Duncan Ian L.. Cpt.
- Dunlap Robert L.. Pfc.
- Dunnell Norman Leonard. Pte.
- Dunphy Rick William. Pte.
- Dyer James William. Dvr.
- Eames William Arthur. Pte.
- Ebbert Daniel Arch. Y2/C.
- Eddleman George Washington. Pvt.
- Edmiston Ellsworth. Pvt.
- Edwards Charles Leonard. Dvr.
- Edwards Douglas. Pvt.
- Edwards Glyn. Sea.
- Edwards Richard. Cpl.
- Eijsvoogel Tjeerd. Cpl.
- Eilbracht Wilhelm Eduard. Sgt.
- Ekkebus Pieter. Kwm.
- Ekkebus Willem. Fus.
- Ekre Howard Sylvester. Pte.
- Eldridge Frederick Thomas. Pte.
- Eldridge William Lyle. Pfc.
- Ellents Jan Mans. B.Cav.Ekl.
- Elliott Jesse E.. Prtr2/C.
- Ellis Albert. Cpl.
- Ellis Charles. Sgt.
- Elton Calvin William. Sgt.
- Elzenga Dirk. Kpl.Mont.
- Emmah Charles August Louis . Pte.
- Emmah Johannes Franciscus. Pte.
- Eneriz Manuel Anthony. PFC.
- English Darnley Philip. Pte.
- Epping Kenneth John. Sgt.
- Erdhuizen Jacob Catharina. Sld.Tkl.M1.
- Erdman Edwin. MM2/C.
- Ernster Adolf Karel. Cpl.
- Errico Louis Joseph. Pvt.
- Erwin Jack Guest. Sgt. (d.26th Feb 1945)
- Eskes Charles Dickson. 1sr.Sld.
- Estes Johnie William. Pte.
- Etten Bertus. Sgt.
- Evans Cyril Henry. Pte.
- Evans Henry Edward. Pte.
- Evans Sidney Winston. Pte.
- Evans William Charles. Dvr.
- Everett Charles William. Pte.
- Everhard Johannes Makinus. H Brig.
- Everhardt Jacobus. Mil.Sld.
- Ewins Thomas William. Driver
- Eykelhof Antonius Arnoldus. B.M.M.D
- Fagan Thomas Dale. Pvt.
- Fails Alvin Harrison. Pvt.
- Fair Nauburn Taylor. Pvt.
- Fairhurst Ernest Stanley. Dvr.
- Falk Harry. Gnr.
- Fannin Elbert Lloyd. Pvt.
- Farmer Dixie Brandley. Pvt.
- Farrell Henry William.
- Farrell John Herbert. Dvr.
- Farrell Leonard Howard. Pvt.
- Farrell Wesley C.. Pte.
- Feening Eric John. Pte.
- Feiner Harold. Pte.
- Fellows Arthur Leonard. WOI.
- Ferguson Robert Allen. L/Cpl.
- Ferguson Thomas Donald. Pte.
- Ferrell Harold M.. WO
- Ferrier Charles Raymond. Cpl.
- Ferris John Joseph Seaton. Cpl.
- Filkins Colin Joseph. Pte.
- Finch Richard Andrew. Pte.
- Finley James. Pvt
- Finn Jack. Cpl.
- Finn Maurice. Pte.
- Fisher Alfred Thomas. Gnr
- Fisher Robert Hemingway. Pte.
- Flaherty James Douglas. Sgt.
- Flanagan James Joseph. Pte.
- Flannery Jack. Dvr.
- Flores Felix. Pvt. (d.22nd Dec1943)
- Flores Joseph Ignacio. Pte.
- Flynn Henry. Cpl.
- Fogg Edward George. Dvr.
- Fogg Edward George.
- Folk Louis. Pfc.
- Fong Tim Gwey. (d.2 Feb 1945)
- Fontein Eduard Francois. Mil. Kan
- Forbes Frederick. Pte..
- Forsyth Frank Ray. Cpl.
- Foster Ray Lewis. Pfc.
- Fountain Gordon Raphval. SK 3/C
- Fowler Harold Norman. Sgt.
- Fox Orville Kenneth. Pte.
- Francis Charles A.. Pte.
- Frangenheim Eric Gritzko. Mil. Wnr
- Frank Theodorus. Brig.Inf.
- Frankgate Nicholas. Cpl.
- Frantz Dale Bruce. Cpl.
- Freedman Bertram. Pfc.
- Freeman Lawrence Irving. MM2/C.
- French John Bernard Russell. Sgt.
- Friese Roy Edward. Pvt.
- Fulkar George. Dvr.
- Fuller Ronald Charles. Dvr.
- Fus Galis Cornelis.
- Gagnon Augustine Raoul. Mm1/c
- Gallagher John Ronald. Pte.
- Gallagher William. Sgt.
- Gange Albert William. Gnr.
- Gann Harley Davis. Sgt.
- Gann Homer Laverne. Pvt.
- Gann Walter. Pvt.
- Garcia Cleofas.
- Garcia Evans Ramirez. Pte.
- Garcia Robert Louis.
- Gardiner Harry Stewart. Cpl.
- Gardner Charles William. Pte.
- Garley Silverio Max.
- Garner Albert. Pte.
- Garner John Everet. Pte.
- Garret David Earl. Sgt.
- Garret J.C.. Pte.
- Gascoigne Richard Frank. Stok.1/c
- Gathercole Maurice Vincent. Pte.
- Gay Arthur John. Pte.
- Geach James Henry. Dvr.
- Gebhardt Arthur Karel J. Cpl.
- Geertsema Eduard. Mil/Sld
- Geffen Gerrit Van. Matr.
- Geier Clifford Cecil. Pte.
- Geositz Joseph Frank. PFC
- Geraghty Oscar James. Pte.
- Gevers Hugo William.
- Gibbs Albert Edward. Pte.
- Gibson Marion Jasper. Pte.
- Gihaux Henri. Mil.Sld.
- Gilin Cornelus Jonannes. Mil.Sld.
- Gilley Francis Ernest. Pte.
- Glenn William Lewis Jr.. Sgt.
- Godbold George Arthur. CSM.
- Goldbrum Louis.
- Goldrum Louis.
- Hewlett Thomas H.. Capt.
- Larson Robert Vernon. Seaman 1st Class
- Little Edward Neal. Lt.Cmdr.
- Little Edward N.
- Morrow John R.. Major
- Ode Jan. (d.24th December 1944)
- Odé Jan. (d.24th December 1944)
- Proff Harold. Lt.
- Tisdale Achille C.. Capt.
- van Arie. Cpl.
- Van Gerard Henri Marie.
- Van Hendrik. Sgt.
- Van Willem. Cpl.
- Van Altena David. Gi Sld
- Van Ardenne Cato. Cadet
- Van-der-Donk Antonius J.. Fus.
- VanBeek Petrus Theodorus. Mil Mstr
- VanBerkel Marinus. Brig.
- vanDaalen Meijer Emil. Mil/Sgt.
- VanDonkelaar Jan. Cpl.
- vanEijk Hendrik. Sgt.
- vanEijk Johannes Andreas. Kpl Mach.
- vanEs Arie. Korp.
- VanGualxherus Gessel. Sgt.
- van_der_Elst Johannes. Marn 1 This page is new, as yet no names have been submitted.
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List
The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.
- The 1st of September 2017 is The Wartime Memories Project's 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.
- To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
- Looking for help with Family History Research? Please read our Family History FAQ's
- The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Research your own Family History.
Sep 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 235634, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.
If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes.Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
Ldg Stoker Harold Stanley Bicker HMS EncounterLdg Stoker Harry Bicker was reported missing when the Encounter went down, his local news paper reported in March 1943, a year after the ship had sunk: "Reported missing last March from HMS Encounter, in the Battle of Java, Leading Stoker Harold Stanley Bicker, son of Mrs Bicker, The Street, Adisham, and whose wife and two children are living at 13 Baden Road, Gillingham, is now officially reported a prisoner of war in Fukuoka Camp, Japan. Recently his mother received news that her younger son, Leonard, who is a Commando, was injured in the Dieppe raid, has been promoted Seaman Petty Officer."
George Lester CurtisMy Great Uncle, George Curtis (1893-1971) was captured on Corregidor and imprisoned at Old Bilibid Prison (Manila) and Cabanatuan in the Philippines, shipped to Japan on the notorious hell ships Oryoku Maru and Brazil Maru, and imprisoned again at the Otuma Camp #17 from the 31st of January 1945 until the capitulation of the Japanese. He was a civilian, contracted to work on communications around airfields on Bataan as the American defences there crumbled in early 1942. He served in WW1 in the US Army in France and was cited for bravery by the American command and also received the French Croix de Guerre.Michael Doty
Seaman 1st Class Robert Vernon " " Larson Purple Heart.My dad Robert Vernon Larson survived Fukuoka #17 after being captured at the fall of Corregidor. He remained in the military much of his life.
He was awarded the Silver Star and the Bronz Star. He passed away at the Vet's Hospital at Minneapolis, MN in 1991Robert M. Larson
CSM. George Arthur Godbold Leicestershire RegimentGeorge A. Godbold started as a boy soldier with Leicestershire Regiment in 1924. He became a POW following the Fall Of Singapore in 1942, and was sent to Fukuoka No. 17 after surving the sinking of the Japanese ship "Hofuku Maru".Brian W. Zelley
Jan Odé (d.24th December 1944)My uncle, Jan Odé, Dutch citizen, was held in Fukuoka Branch Camp No.17. He died there on Dec. 24, 1944. Can anyone tell me anything else about the camp?Carla Odé
Louis "Goldy" GoldbrumPOW Fukuoka 17sbflynn
Lt.Cmdr. Edward Neal Little Cavate Naval Yard, 16th Naval Dist.POW Fukuoka 17 in Japan
In charge of the Mess Hall. Court Martial - for acts of treason on his fellow POW's
Deceased 26 June 1967 Buried Golden Gate National Cemetery Bruno, Califsflynn
Major John R. MorrowMedical Office at POW camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan. He was sent to Mukden, Manchuria on 25 April 1945.sflynn
Lt. Harold ProffMedic POW in Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Capt. Achille C. TisdaleMedical Officer POW camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Cpl. Adolf AartsmaPOW in Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Sk1C Samuel Woodrow AbbotPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
S/Condr Shirley Jack AbbotPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Norman Lesley AblettPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Sgt. ML Johannes Pieter AdamPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Alfred William AdamesPOW Camp Fukuoka 17sflynn
Pvt. Berdine Adams M Co 31st Infantry Reg. US) Phil DivPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Cpl. Edward Berdine AdamsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pfc. John Carroll Adams F Co 2nd Bn, 4th Marine Regt.POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
S/Sgt. Robert Paul AegerterPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Maclovio AguilarMaclovio Aguilar Jr. was a POW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Pvt. James Murray AikenPOW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Phillip AlbertPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Pvt. Meryvn AlchinPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Drv. Herbert John AldersonPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Sgt. Robert Leroy Aldrich CAC Hq Btry 2nd Bn, 200th CA Regt. (AA)POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. George AllenPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Cpl. Hugh Hunter AllenPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt Neville AllenPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Walter Paul AllenPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvc James Joseph Allyn Medical DepartmentPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Gi Sld David Van AltenaPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Cpl. Melvin Rihards Altendorf CAC E Btry 60th CA Regt. (AA) HDM & SBPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Donald Godfrey AndersonPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Pvt. Donald Raymond Anderson 31st Inf Regt (US) Hq. (Polar Bears)POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and was a Survivor of the Hell Ship the Oryoku Maru.sflynn
Pvt. William George A. AndersonPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pte Hugh F Ables (d.27th November 1944)Held in Fukuoka 3b
Pvt. Samuel Joseph Andreottola K Co. 31st Inf Regt (US) Phil Div.POW at Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Arthur Richard AndringaPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pfc. Oliver Ard K Btry 60th CA Regt (AA) HDM & SBPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Cadet Cato Van ArdennePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Andrew George "Andy" Arends Battalion I 59th CACPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Sgt Teunis Cornelis ArendsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Sgt. Manuel Anastacio Armijo 200 Caa Battery "C"POW camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Cpl. Alfred Armstrong Royal Australian Air ForcePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
L/Cpl. Russell Graham ArmstrongPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. George Richard ArnoldPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Ernist Victor ArnudPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pfc. Reinholdt AschenbrennerPOW Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Dvr. James AspinPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Leonard James M. AtkinsonPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Cpl. Theodorus ArtsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Troyse Elmore Atwood Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in JapanS Flynn
Ragnavald AugustinHe was a civilian. POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in JapanS Flynn
Sgt. Johannes AuwerdaPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Cpl. Charles Balaza 59th Coast Artillery Battery "K"POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
S/Sgt. James Ball Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Sld. Jan Albertus H. BangePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Sgt. Darcy Lyndsay Banks 2/40thPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. William BannattynePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt Obie Eugene Barber Air CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Thomas Barka Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Gordon BarkerPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Dvr. Kenneth Sybray BarkerPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pfc. Roy Herschell Barnes 4th Marine Regt. L Co 3rd Bn.POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Elliott Norman BarnettPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Victor George BarnettPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Sgt. James Phillip Bashleben 192nd Tank Battalion Co. BPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Franklin Stillman Batchelor 27th Bomb Gr. (L) V Bomb Cmd. Hq & Hq SqdnPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Cpl. Arnold BatesPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Dvr. Dennis H. BattenPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Sgt. Boudewijn Franz BauerPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Allen John BaxterPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Capt. John Foster Beall 2nd Bt. 200th & 515 C.A.C (d.8th February 1945)POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan. Died in either Camp #1 or #17. Died in Ship Sinking or Shot Attempting Escapesflynn
Pfc. Russell Eugene Beasley Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Alan Robert BeattiePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
S/Sgt. Wesley Lincoln Becher Chemical Warfare ServicePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Pvt. Leroy Truman "Roy" Becraft InfantryPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan.
See Hildreth Biography Page where he credits Becraft for his receiving the Navy Cross.sflynn
Sig. William Arthur Bee HMAS PerthPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Mil Mstr Petrus Theodorus VanBeekPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Sgt.Art. Hendrikus Wilhelmus Bernardus BeekwilderPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in japansflynn
Sld. Nicolaas BeetsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Fus. Floris Gozewienus BosPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Kwn Hendrik BosPOW amp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Sk. Berend BossemaPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Dvr. John Thomas BottPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Pvt. Martin Elmer Bottroff B Btry 59th Coastal Artillery Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Pvt. Richard BoundyPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Pvt. Charles Norris BourkePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
WO II Dennis Charles BowenPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
S. BoxmanPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Cpl. James Aubrey Boyd A Co. 31st Infantry Reg. InfantryPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Joseph M. Boyles Bureau Of Yards And DocksJoseph M. Boyles, Jr., a civilian, was a POW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Pvt. James BradleyPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansflynn
Ac 2 William John BradleyPOW Camp Fujuoka 17 in Japan htsbflynn
S/Sgt. Dumont W. Brady 409th Signal Co (Avn)POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Sgt. Pieter BrakkeePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Dvr. Wilfred Ernest BranchettPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
2e kl Gerrit Bras MGD OfficerPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Sgt. Christiaan BraunPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
L/Cpl. Frederic W. BreavingtonPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
CadetVdg Hendrik BreemanPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Pvt. Frank William Brenner 28th Matl Sqdn 20th Air Base Gr. FEAF Air CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Skl. Hendrik Godfried A. BreurPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Dvr. Stanley BrianPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Dvr. Edward Henry BricePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
L/Cpl. Owen George BriggsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Pte. Frederick BritnellPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Cpl. Lorre BroadbentPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Cpl. James Byron Brock 34th Pursuit Sq./24th Pursuit Gr (AC) V Intcp Comm Air CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Pvt. Alexander William BrodiePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Sgt. Albert BroersmaPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
1st Lt. Medic Theodore Tobias Bronk Medical CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan. Camp Doctor.
Mentioned in Whitecross's excellent book, "Slaves of the Son of Heaven". Published in 1951, the book mentions many names and incidents from Camp 17.sbflynn
Cpl. Frederick Charles BrookerPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Pvt. Ray William Brookshire 27th Matl Sqdn 20th Air Base Gr. (AC) FEAF Air CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Pvt. Allan James BroomhallPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Sgt. John BrosnanPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japansbflynn
Pvt. Arthur Vincent BrownPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pvt. Charlie BrownPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Dvr. Edric Lenworth Brown 2/3 M AmbPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Sgt. Ronald BrownPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Chief Y Theodore A. Richard Brownell USS CanopusSurvivor of the Oryoku Maru and a POW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Sgt. Wesley Clifton Browning 27th Bomb Group (AC) V Bomb Cmd 17th Bomb Sq.POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pvt. Jackson Bruce H Co. 31st Infantry Reg. InfantryPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pfc. Marion E. Bruce 698th AVN ORD 27th Bomb Gr. (L) V Bomb Cmd. Infantry (d.26 Dec. 1944)Died in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Cpl. John Jacob Bruer CWS 7th Chem Co (Avn) Chemical Warfare ServicePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
H. J. BrukersPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Sgt. Eduard Marius BrunsmannPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Sld. Jean Marie BrunsmannPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
WO1 Richard Glencairn BrydenPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pfc. Arthur Ray Buchanan 91st Bomb Sqdn 27th Bomb Gr. (L) V Bomb Cmd Air Corps
Pte. Ernest Alexander Buchanan
Edward N LittlePOW in Camp Fukuoka #17, Japan
Pvt. Ralph Hampton Buchanan 194th Tank Bn HQ Co InfantryPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and a Survivor of the Oryoku Maru.
Pvt. Joseph Buckley 60th CAC D Battery Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pvt. Louis Buffone AC V Intcp Cmd FEAF Air CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pfc. Lester Raymond Buggs 192nd Tank Batt. Co. "A" Hq. Co ArmoredPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Sgm. Frank BillamorePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
ABS Perc George BullivantPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Cpl. George Luther Bullock Regt. G 31st InfantryPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and Possibly transferred late in the war to Fukuoka 8B- Inatsuki
Pvt. Orlinza Appleton Bullock CAC 59th CA Regt. E Battery Coast GuardsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and Survivor of the Oryoku Maru
Dvr. George William H. BulmerPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pvt. Grover Cleveland Bump Ordinance DepartmentPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pfc, Ray Burch CAC H Btry 200th CA Regt. (AA) Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Cpl. Arend Johannes Burgh
Pvt. Teddy Carroll CampbellPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Cpl. Utah Albert Campbell Hq 3rd Bn 59th CA Regt. Coast Artillery Corps
Cpl. William James Campbell
Cpl. James M. Carey
Cpl. Eugene P. Burkeholder Btry 200th CA Regt. (AA)POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Cpl. Charles Leonard BurnettPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pvt. Herbert Burns 31st Infantry DivisionPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and a survivor of the Bataan Death March.
Pvt. Isaac Burns Quartermaster CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
G. V. BurtPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan.
A small group of Americans, Australians, British, and Dutch were transported from other Japanese Camps to Fukuoka #17 near the end of Jan 45. (#1632-1683) Burt's name is on Mamerow's list, but no other information available
Pvt. Kenneth Thomas BushPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Dvr. Walter David BushPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pfc. Charles Hugh Butler E Btry 60th CA Regt (AA) Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pfc. Edwin James Butler Medical Detachment, Corregidor (d.7 February 1945)Died in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and was a Survivor of the Hell Ship the Oryoku Maru.
Pvt. William Raynard Byars E Btry 60th CA Regt (AA) Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Sgt. Arthur James ByrnePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pvt. William Erniest CakePOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pvt Ray R. Caldwell CAC 60th CA Regt (AA) K Btry K Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and survivor of the Oryoku Maru
Dvr. Robert CameronPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pvt. William Stuart CameronPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pvt. Billy Campbell 1st Bn 60th CA Regt (AA) HDM & SB Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Cpl. Junious Geary Carroll CAC 31st Inf Regt (US) Phil Div. Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan
Pvt Patrick John CarrollPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan
Pvt. Richard Cyril CarrollPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan
Cpl. Andrew D. Carson Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pvt. Christopher T. Carson 24th Pursuit Gr. V Bomb Cmd AC 34th Bomb Sq. (d.09 July 1945)Died in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Sgt. William CartwrightPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan
Pvt. Dennis CarverPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan
Pvt/Dvr. Ronald Charles Cassidy 2/40thPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan
Pfc. Joseph Cassin 27th Bomb Gr. V Bomb Cmd. 16th Bomb Squadron
Cpl. Wallace E. Casto Infantry
Pte. Robert Dale Cates CAC B Btry 60th CA Regt (AA) HDM & SB Coast Artillery Corps
Pte. George Anzac Caughlin
Pte. Robert Graver Cecka Signal Corps
Pte. Percy Chalcroft
Pfc Edwin Charles Chambers CAC C Btry 60th CA Regt (AA) HDM & SB Coast Artillery Corps
Pvt. Raymond Gonzales Carrizales Sternberg General Hospital, Manila. Medical CorpsRaymond Gonzales Callizales, Private (Medic.)18043889, US Army Medical Corps. Unit served at was the Medical Department, Sternberg General Hospital, Manila, Phillipines. He was captured and survived the Oryoku Maru Hell Ship following which he was interned at the POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan.SB Flynn
Pte. Bernard CarrollBernard Carroll, Private, served in the British Army during World War Two, unit not known. He was captured and interned at POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan. Prisoner number was (Ban)1036.SB Flynn
Sgt. Donald Larry Clark I Co. 31st Inf Regt
Cpl. Lesley Albert Clark
Pte. Thomas Clarke
Pte. Thomas Clarke
Pte. William Clarke
Sgt. Wayne Carringer HQ Sqn. 27th Bomber Group. V Bomber Command.Wayne Carringer, Sergeant 6972776, served with the 27th Bomber Group, HQ Squadron, V Bomber Command, US Army Air Corps. He was captured and imprisoned at the POW Camp Fukuoka 17, Japan.SB Flynn
Pte. William CarletonWilliam Carleton, Private, served in the British Army during World War Two and was held captive at POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan. His Prisoner Number (Ban)was 1013.SB Flynn
PFC. Edward William Carr F Coy. 2nd Btn. 4th Marine Regiment (d.6th Sep 1945)Edward William Carr, Private First Class 301036, served with F Company, 2nd Battalion, 4th Regiment, US Marine Corps. he was taken prisoner and died on the 6th September 1945 at Fukuoka Camp 1 Kashii Pine Tree Camp, Kyushu Island, Japan.SB Flynn
Gnr. Albert William Gange 2nd Australian Imperial ForceAlbert William Gange, Gunner VX37723, served with the Australian Army and was held as a POW in Fukuoka #17, Japan. He was born in Colac, Victoria and enlisted at Royal Park, Victoria. His next of kin is listed as J. Gange.Ray
Sgt. Harley Davis GannHarley Davis Gann, served with the United States Army during World War Two. He was held captive as a POW in Fukuoka Camp #17, Japan.Ray
Pvt. Homer Laverne GannHomer Laverne Gann, Private, served in the United States Army during World War Two and was held in Fukuoka POW Camp #17, Japan.Ray
Sld. Egbert Burghgraef
Sld. Jacobus Johannes Charite
Pte. Keith Joseph Charman
PFC. Harry Arthur Chase Quartermaster Corps
Cpl. Angelo Sam Chavos CE Hq Co. 803rd Engr Bn (Avn) Corps Of Engineers
Sgt. August Wilhelm F. Bochardtsbflynn
MM2C. Lucien Charles Boehmsbflynn
Cpl. Jan deBoerS B Flynn
Pfc. Harold John Boetcher 33rd QM Regt (Trk) Quartermaster Corpssbflynn
Pte. Wilford Firdand Boettger Coast Artillery Corps K Btry 59th CA Regt HDM & SBsbflynn
S/Sgt. Carl Eugene Bohannon CAC F Btry 200th CA Regt. (AA) Coast Artillery Corpssbflynn
Cpl. Thomas Peter Bohn A Bty 200th CA Regt. (AA) Coastal Artillery CorpsSB Flynn
Kan Wilhelms Hendrik Boldersbflynn
Pvt. Hugh Murray Bolten B Bty. 59th Coastal Artillery Coastal Artillery CorpsSB Flynn
Sgm. Valiant Bond Royal Corps of Signalssflynn
Cpl. Alfred Frank Bonesbflynn
L/Cpl. Robert Bookersbflynn
Cpl. Jack Rider Boon,SB Flynn
Sgt. David Louis Boorer East Surrey RegimentSB Flynn
Pvt. Homer Andrew Boren 698 AC Ord. 27th Bomber Group, V Bomb Command.SB Flynn
Sld. J. Willem Borgesiussbflynn
Pvt. John Ernest Bailey 2/19thPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in JapanS Fynn
PFC. Joseph Barreras D Bty. 200th Coastal Artillery Regiment(AA).Joseph Barreras was captured during actions at Bataan or Corregidor and interned as Prisoner Number 455 POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan.S. Flynn
Pfc. Artie Cope Hq Coy. 194th Tank BattalionSB Flynn
Pvt. David Nunez Chapa A Bty. 1st Btn. 200th Coast Artillery CorpsSB Flynn
sh.ck Robert Gray Bickley USS Fisheries II Inshore PatrolS B Flynn
Pte. Arthur William Cheek
Cpl. Charles Chidwick
Pvt. Walter GannWalter Gann, Private, served in the United states Army during world war Two and was held in Fukuoka POW Camp #17, JapanRay
Pte. Thomas William Campbell, 27th Ind. Bde. Gp. Workshop 8th Australian DivisionThomas William Campbell, Private VX35306, served with the 27th Independent Brigade Group Workshop, 8th Australian Division, Second Australian Imperial Force during World War Two and was held at the POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan. He was born on the 27th April 1905 in Mount Somers, New Zealand, and his mother was Louisa Gordon, father unknown. Notification of his imprisonment was sent to Mrs Flora Isabella Campbell, 47 Albion Street, East Brunswick, Melbourne.SB Flynn
Cpl. Herbert Childs 21st Pursuit Sqd.Herbert Childs was held as a POW in Camp Fukuoka 17, Japan but he was transferred to Kashii Pine Tree Fukuoka 1 camp in 1942 and remained till March 1945 when he was liberated.
L/Cpl. Oswald Chipchase Royal Signal Corps
2nd.Lt. Charles Phillip Christie
Pfc. George Evertt Chumley Co. D. 192nd Tank Batt.
Cox John Rudolph Cicha USS Canopus
Fus. Willy Beatus Claereboets
Pvt. Albert Joseph Corsarie 454th Ord. Coy. AVNSB Flynn
Pte. John George Cowrie 2nd Btn. Gordon HighlandersS B Flynn
Pte. Maynard C. Cravens 192nd Tank BtnS B Flynn
Medic.Phar. Jeremiah Valentine CrewsS B Flynn
PhMlFC. George Wyman Crowell USNH Canacao
Sgt. Fred Curet MississippiSB Flynn
TM-1C. Clifford Charles CyrSB Flynn
Pvt. Stanley Czarnecki M Coy. 31st Infantry RegimentSB Flynn
Mil/Sgt. Meijer Emil vanDaalen
Slr Charles William DahmenS B Flynn
Cpl. Dewey N Dale K Co. 3rd Bn. 4th Marines Battery A (AA)S B Flynn
Pfc. Valentine R. Dallago D Btry. 200th Coast Artillery Regt (AA)S B Flynn
Sld. Paul DanielS B Flynn
Gnr. Nevill Charles Walter DanielsS B Flynn
Pte. Lawrence Richard DannSB Flynn
Sgt.Mach. Arie DarphornSB Flynn
Pfc. Benny Jason Daughtery A Btry 200th CAC Regt (AA)
Pte. Leonard Alfred DaveySB Flynn
Gnr. Harley John DavidsonSB Flynn
Sgt. Edward Jon DaviesSB Flynn
Dvr. Ivor DaviesS B Flynn
Sgt. Charles George Davis Coast Artillery CorpsS B Flynn
L/Sgt. Jay B. DavisS B Flynn
Pvt. Paul Davis CWS K Coy. 31st Infantry RegimentSB Flynn
Pte. Albert Walker DawsonSB Flynn
Pte. Neil Trevor DawsonSB Flynn
Dvr. Maurice DaySB Flynn
Pte. Robert George DaybleS B Flynn
Sgt. Jack DaendelsS B Flynn
Cpl. Lee Albright Dale K Btry 60th Coast Artillery Regiment (AA)S B Flynn
LAC. William George DeanS B Flynn
Gnr. Frederick George Deeth Royal ArtilleryS B Flynn
Pte George D. Deissner 17th Signal Platoon Signal Corps (d.31st Jul 1944)S B Flynn
Sgt. Cornelis DekkersS B Flynn
Pte. Antonio DelPinoS B Flynn
Pfc. Virgil Dickerson Demars A Co. 31st Inf RegtS B Flynn
Sld. Ellis Peter DenkelaarS B Flynn
Pfc. Marvin Wakerfierld Denny Svc Co 31st Inf RegtS B Flynn
PhM/1C William Taft Derrick Cavite Yale Yard - DispensaryWilliam Derrick was a survivor of the Oryoku Maru and POW at Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan.S B Flynn
Pte. Arthur John GayRay
Dvr. James Henry GeachRay
Mil/Sld Eduard GeertsemaEduard Geertsema was held in Fukuoka #17.Ray
Pte. Clifford Cecil GeierClifford Cecil Geier was held in Fukuoka #17 from the 18th of June 1944.Ray
PFC Joseph Frank Geositz 12th QM Regt.Joseph Frank Geositz was held in Fukuoka #17. His name appears on a roster containing the names of the 500 Americans sent from Manila to Moji, Japan, aboard the Clyde Maru from 23 July to 9 August 1943. The men were transported by train from Moji station to camp Fukuoka 17 at Omuta, Kyushu, arriving on 10 Aug 1943.Ray
Pte. Oscar James GeraghtyOscar James Geraghty was held in Fukuoka #17 from the 16th of January 1945.Ray
Dvr. Leslie Claude Drake 196th Field Ambulance Royal Army Service CorpsLeslie C Drake was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan. He was born in 1917 and enlisted on 15/3/1940. He was captured in Singapore on 15/2/1942 and held in Changi River Valley, Singapore and Thailand.S B Flynn
Pvt. Albert J. DuBois Co. A 192nd Tank Batt.In the Philippines, Albert's battalion was housed in tents between Clark Field and Fort Stotsenburg. On December 8, 1941, Albert DuBois lived through the Japanese bombing of Clark Field. He would next be sent out to engage the Japanese after they landed troops on Luzon. He took part in many of the engagements involving A Company. This included the Battle of Toul Pocket which wiped out Japanese troops who had been landed behind the main battle lines.
On the 9th of April 1942, Albert and the other tank crews of A Company were ordered to destroy their equipment. They had been surrendered to the Japanese. The members of A Company made their way to Mariveles at the southern tip of Bataan. It was from there that Albert began what would become known as the Bataan Death March. He was a survivor of the Clyde Maru and a POW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in JapanS B Flynn
Pvt. Edrew Hansel Duckworth 7th Cem (Avn) Chemical Warfare ServiceEdrew Duckworth was held at POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan. His name is on the Clyde Maru POW roster containing the names of the 500 Americans sent from Manila to Moji, Japan, aboard the Clyde Maru from 23rd of July to 9th of August 1943. The men were transported by train from Moji station to camp Fukuoka 17 at Omuta, Kyushu, arriving on the 10th of August 1943.S B Flynn
Cpt. Ian L. Duncan Medical CorpsIan Duncan was Camp doctor in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan. He is mentioned in Whitecross's excellent book, "Slaves of the Son of Heaven" which was published in 1951. He is credited with trying to save life of David Runge who was forced to kneel in snow for several days.S B Flynn
Y2/C. Daniel Arch EbbertS B Flynn
Pvt. Douglas Edwards Ordnance DepartmentDouglas Edwards was a survivor of the Bataan Death March and was held POW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in JapanS B Flynn
Sea. Glyn EdwardsS B Flynn
Pte. Frederick Thomas EldridgeFrederick Thomas Eldridge was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 JapanS B Flynn
Pfc. William Lyle Eldridge M Co. 31st Inf Regt.S B Flynn
Prtr2/C. Jesse E. ElliottJesse E Elliott was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan.S B Flynn
Cpl. Albert Ellis 1st Battalion Leicester RegimentAlbert Ellis was held at POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan. He served with the 1st Battalion, Leicester Regiment in 11th Division enlisted on 9/8/1933. He was born on 16th November 1911. His address was 20 Herbert St, Mansfield, Notts. He was captured in Singapore on 15/2/1942 and was held in Changi 14/2/1942, Havelock Rd 15/5/1942, Thailand 8/10/1942 and Fukuoka 26/6/1944.
Pte. Charles August Louis EmmahCharles Emmah was held at the POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan. His brother Johannes Franciscus Emmah was also a POW in the same camp.
Pte. Johannes Franciscus EmmahJohannes Emmah was held at POW camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan. His brother Charles was also a POW in the same camp.
PFC. Manuel Anthony Eneriz 31st Infantry K Co.
Pte. Darnley Philip English
Sld.Tkl.M1. Jacob Catharina Erdhuizen
MM2/C. Edwin Erdman
Cpl. Adolf Karel ErnsterAdolf Karel Ernster was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan.S B Flynn
Pvt. Louis Joseph Errico CE B Co. 803rd Engr Bn (Avn) Corps of EngineersLouis Joseph Errico was held at POW Camp Fukuoka 17 JapanS B Flynn
Sgt. Jack Guest Erwin 200th CAC HB Coast Artillery Corps (d.26th Feb 1945)Jack Erwin died as a POW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan.
Korp. Arie vanEs
Pte. Johnie William Estes
Pte. Henry Edward Evans
Pte. Sidney Winston Evans Coast Artillery Corps
Dvr. William Charles Evans
Pte. Charles William Everett
H Brig. Johannes Makinus EverhardS B Flynn
Pvt. Thomas Dale Fagan ORD V Intcp Cmd FEAFs flynn
Pvt. Alvin Harrison Fails A Btry. 515th CA Regt (AA)Alvin Fails survived the Bataan death march and was a POW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan.
Gnr. Harry Falk Royal ArtilleryHarry Falk was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 JapanS B Flynn
Pvt. Elbert Lloyd Fannin D Co. 31st Inf Regt.Elbert Lloyd Fannin was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 JapanS B Flynn
Henry William Farrell HMS RepulseHenry William Farrell was born in 1916 and enlisted in 1936. He lived in Plymouth, Devon. He was a Royal Marine on HMS Repulse when it was sunk by a Japanese aerial attack off Malaya on 10th December 1941 with the loss of 513 men. It seems that speculation still surrounds the subsequent actions of the Japanese pilots as they did not interfere with the rescue of survivors. The rescuing destroyers took them to Singapore naval base. Shortly after the sinking, the remainder of Marines from HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales, which was also sunk, merged forces with remnants of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, becoming known as the Plymouth Argylls. They took part in a series of land actions against the Japanese. They were ill prepared for tropical warfare and without air-cover so it was a mission doomed from the onset. Subsequently on February 15th 1942, the Argylls were led by a piper from Tyarsell Park Singapore, into 3 and a half years incarceration.
Henry was held in the flowing camps: Changi, Havelock Road, Kinkaseki, Hindato, Non Pladuk and No 17 FukuokaS B Flynn
Dvr. John Herbert FarrellJohn Herbert Farrell was held in POW camp Fukuoka 17 Japan.S B Flynn
Pvt. Leonard Howard FarrellLeonard Howard Farrell was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan.S B Flynn
Pte. Harold Feiner 17th Ord Co (Armd) Tank Gr. Ordnance DepartmentHarold became a prisoner of war on April 10, 1942 at Mariveles, Bataan and then he became a part of the infamous Bataan Death March, led to Camp O’Donnell. In June, 1942 he was moved, with other POW’s to Camp Cabanatuan. In August 1942 he was transported on one of the Hell Ships to Japan where he was interned at Camp 17, Omuta, Japan working a coal mine owned by Mitsui Company.Among the many awards he received were the Purple Heart, Bronze Star and the Presidential United Citation.
WO Harold M. "Gunner" Ferrell D Co. 1st Battalion 4th MarinesHarold Ferrell was a survivor of the Oryoku Maru and POW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and transferred to POW camp in Manchuria
Pte. Richard Andrew FinchRichard Andrew Finch was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17S B Flynn
Pvt James Finley Co. A 192nd Tank Batt.James Finley was the son of John D. & Sara E. Finley and the husband of Grace Amelia Leonard. He was a carpenter.
He took part in the Battle of Luzon (8 December 1941 - 6 January 1942) and the Battle of Bataan (7 January 1942 - 9 April 1942). He was taken POW on 9 April 1942 and was on the Death March to Camp O'Donnell. Then followed Cabanatuan and Fukuoka 17. He was then on the Hell Ship Clyde Maru which sailed from Manila on 23 July 1943. He finally arrived at Omuta, Kyushu on 10 August 1943. He was liberated on September 1945. James Finley is buried in Arlington Memorial Gardens in Spencer, OklahomaS B Flynn
Pvt. Dixie Brandley Farmer Chemical Warfare ServiceDixie Brandley Farmer was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 172.S B Flynn
Pte. Colin Joseph FilkinsColin Joseph Filkins was held in POW Camp Fukuoka17 Japan.S B Flynn
Cpl. Jack FinnJack Finn was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan.SB Flynn
Pte. Maurice FinnMaurice Finn was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan.S B Flynn
Gnr Alfred Thomas FisherAlfred Thomas Fisher was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan.S B FLlynn
Pte. Robert Hemingway FisherRobert Hemingway Fisher was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan.S B Flynn
Sgt. James Douglas FlahertyJames Douglas Flaherty was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan.S B Flynn
Pte. James Joseph FlanaganJames Joseph Flanagan was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan.S B Flynn
Dvr. Jack FlanneryJack Flannery was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan.S B Flynn
Pvt. Felix Flores 192nd Tank Batt. Co. B (d.22nd Dec1943)Felix Flores died in Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan from Pneumonia and starvation. He fought in the Battle of Bataan, survived the Death March and the hell ship Clyde Maru. He was also a POW in the Philippines in camps O'Donnell & CabanatuanS B Flynn
Cpl. Frank Ray Forsyth H Co 2nd Bn 4th Marine Regt.POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan
"Never Will We Forget" by M.M.Culpepper contains several accounts of and by Forsyth
Pfc. Ray Lewis Foster CAC G Btry 59th CA Regt (AA) HDM & SB Coast Artillery CorpsRay Lewis Foster was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan.S B Flynn
Cpl. Nicholas Frankgate Royal Corps of SignalsNicholas Frankgate was a survivor of the Oryoku Maru and was held POW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan.S B Flynn
Cpl. Dale Bruce Frantz A Btry 60th CAC Regt (AA) HDM & SB Coast Artillery CorpsDale Bruce Frantz was held in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan. He was one of the 500 Americans sent from Manila to Moji, Japan, aboard the Clyde Maru from 23 July to 9 August 1943. The men were transported by train from Moji station to camp Fukuoka 17 at Omuta, Kyushu, arriving on 10 Aug 1943.S B Flynn
MM2/C. Lawrence Irving Freeman USS CanopusLawrence Irving Freeman was assigned to the engine room of the USS Canopus. He was captured and survived the Hell ship Mati Mati Maru going on to be held in POW camps 92nd Garage, Bilibid, Port Area, Cabanatuan and Fukuoka Omuta#17
Mil. Wnr Eric Gritzko FrangenheimEric Gritzco Frangenheim served with the Dutch Army and was interned at POW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan. His record records under rank or unit "Mil Wnr" but it is not clear what this abbreviation refers to.S Flynn
Dvr. George FulkarPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 Japan
Jan Ode (d.24th December 1944)Jan Ode was a POW in Fukuoka Camp No. 17 from 1943 until 24th December 1944 when he died.Carla Ode
Edward George Fogg Royal Army Service CorpsMy grandad served in WW2 with the RASC as a driver and spent a few years as a POW at Fukuoka No.17 camp, Japan. His name is Edward George Fogg and sadly he died in 1956 aged 40 due to what he went through at this camp and others. I have hardly any information about my grandad except for a few photos and his Army soldier book and some discharge papers etc. I am hoping to find any survivors or relatives who may have known him. Or if you know anyone who was at this camp.Lindsay Allen
Available at discounted prices.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved