- Oryuku Maru during the Second World War -
POW Camp Index
If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Allied Air Forces
Prisoners of War
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
TWMP on Facebook
Your Family History
If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.
Those known to have been held in or employed at
during the Second World War 1939-1945.
- Anderson Donald Raymond. Pvt.
- Backhaus Herman Fred.
- Biddy Floyd Acey. Pfc.
- Brownell Theodore A. Richard. Chief Y
- Buchanan Ralph Hampton. Pvt.
- Bullock Orlinza Appleton. Pvt.
- Butler Edwin James. Pfc. (d.7 February 1945)
- Caldwell Ray R.. Pvt
- Carrizales Raymond Gonzales. Pvt.
- Clarke Thomas. Pte.
- Coburn Deas Alexander. PhM/2c
- Costello Richard James. Cpl.
- Crews Jeremiah Valentine. Medic.Phar.
- Crowell George Wyman. PhMlFC.
- Crupper Charles Glenn. Pvt.
- Curtis George Lester.
- Derrick William Taft. PhM/1C
- Dessauer Wiley John. Pvt.
- Di Charles. Ctm.
- Dodson Merrill Eugene. PhM3/C.
- Dudley Floyd Joy. Sgt.
- Ferrell Harold M.. WO
- Fong Tim Gwey. (d.2 Feb 1945)
- Frankgate Nicholas. Cpl. This page is new, as yet no names have been submitted.
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List
The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.
- The 1st of September 2017 is The Wartime Memories Project's 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.
- To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
- Looking for help with Family History Research? Please read our Family History FAQ's
- The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Research your own Family History.
Sep 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 235634, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.
If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes.Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
George Lester CurtisMy Great Uncle, George Curtis (1893-1971) was captured on Corregidor and imprisoned at Old Bilibid Prison (Manila) and Cabanatuan in the Philippines, shipped to Japan on the notorious hell ships Oryoku Maru and Brazil Maru, and imprisoned again at the Otuma Camp #17 from the 31st of January 1945 until the capitulation of the Japanese. He was a civilian, contracted to work on communications around airfields on Bataan as the American defences there crumbled in early 1942. He served in WW1 in the US Army in France and was cited for bravery by the American command and also received the French Croix de Guerre.Michael Doty
Pvt. Donald Raymond Anderson 31st Inf Regt (US) Hq. (Polar Bears)POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and was a Survivor of the Hell Ship the Oryoku Maru.sflynn
Chief Y Theodore A. Richard Brownell USS CanopusSurvivor of the Oryoku Maru and a POW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan
Pvt. Ralph Hampton Buchanan 194th Tank Bn HQ Co InfantryPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and a Survivor of the Oryoku Maru.
Pvt. Orlinza Appleton Bullock CAC 59th CA Regt. E Battery Coast GuardsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and Survivor of the Oryoku Maru
Pfc. Edwin James Butler Medical Detachment, Corregidor (d.7 February 1945)Died in POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and was a Survivor of the Hell Ship the Oryoku Maru.
Pvt Ray R. Caldwell CAC 60th CA Regt (AA) K Btry K Coast Artillery CorpsPOW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and survivor of the Oryoku Maru
Pvt. Raymond Gonzales Carrizales Sternberg General Hospital, Manila. Medical CorpsRaymond Gonzales Callizales, Private (Medic.)18043889, US Army Medical Corps. Unit served at was the Medical Department, Sternberg General Hospital, Manila, Phillipines. He was captured and survived the Oryoku Maru Hell Ship following which he was interned at the POW Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan.SB Flynn
Pte. Thomas Clarke
Medic.Phar. Jeremiah Valentine CrewsS B Flynn
PhMlFC. George Wyman Crowell USNH Canacao
PhM/1C William Taft Derrick Cavite Yale Yard - DispensaryWilliam Derrick was a survivor of the Oryoku Maru and POW at Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan.S B Flynn
WO Harold M. "Gunner" Ferrell D Co. 1st Battalion 4th MarinesHarold Ferrell was a survivor of the Oryoku Maru and POW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan and transferred to POW camp in Manchuria
Cpl. Nicholas Frankgate Royal Corps of SignalsNicholas Frankgate was a survivor of the Oryoku Maru and was held POW in Camp Fukuoka 17 in Japan.S B Flynn
Available at discounted prices.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved