You are not logged in.
Stalag XXID Posen in the Second World War 1939-1945 - The Wartime Memories Project -

The Wartime Memories Project

- Stalag XXID Posen during the Second World War -

POW Camp Index
skip to content

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you agree to accept cookies.

If you enjoy this site

please consider making a donation.

    Site Home

    WW2 Home

    Add Stories

    WW2 Search

 WW2 Features


    Allied Army

    Allied Air Forces

    Allied Navy

    Axis Forces

    Home Front

    Prisoners of War

    Allied Ships

    Women at War

    Those Who Served



    The Great War


    Add Stories

    Time Capsule

    TWMP on Facebook

    Childrens Bookshop


    Your Family History


    Contact us




World War 2 Two II WW2 WWII

Stalag XXID Posen

    30th Sep 1939 150 Squadron Battle lost

    If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.

    Those known to have been held in or employed at

    Stalag XXID Posen

    during the Second World War 1939-1945.

    The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List

    The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.


    • The 1st of September 2017 is The Wartime Memories Project's 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.
    • To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
    • Looking for help with Family History Research?   Please read our Family History FAQ's
    • The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.
      If you enjoy this site

      please consider making a donation.

    • We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.

    Research your own Family History.

    Feb 2018 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 239080, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.


    We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.

    We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.

    If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.

    Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.

    If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes. Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
    Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.

    Pte. Robert Morris 7th Btn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

    Bobby Morris

    Bobby Morris of 7th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

    Group of 7th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders prior to going to France in WW2 Kneeling at right is Bobby Morris & next to him kneeling is Robert Dalrymple both of whom were captured near Dunkirk

    Bobby Morris and others at Stalag XX1D

    These photos belong to Bobby Morris of 7th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders who was captured in France near Dunkirk. Bobby is still living, he is in his 90s. I don't know any of the other people in the photographs but would be interested to know who they were

    Jim Jamieson

    Pte. Robert Dalrymple 7th Btn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

    Robert Dalrymple was captured near Dunkirk in 1940, along with Bobby Morris and spent the rest of the war as a POW in Stalag XXID and Stalag IXc, his POW number was 648.

    Jim Jamieson

    Lieutenant Corporal James Patrick Ryan

    My grandfather James Patrick Ryan, L/Cpl 6288904, was held at Stalag XX1D.

    Mark Redman

    Lieutenant Corporal James Patrick Ryan

    My grandfather James Patrick Ryan, L/Cpl 6288904, was held at Stalag XX1D.

    Mark Redman

    John Abercrombie

    My father John Abercrombie, matricule 1686, was a prisoner of the war in stalag xx 1d. Unfortunately I do not have much information but would like to know more where is the Stalag xx1d? Please if you have information send an e-mail.

    Pascal Abercombie

    Spr. Alfred Bird Royal Engineers

    I am trying to find any information on my father Sapper Alfred Bird, Royal Engineers who was held captive in both Stalags XX1B and XX1D throughout the whole of the war. He died when I was only 13 years old. My mother is 92 years. I would dearly love to find out anything about these camps or anyone who may remember him. Christine Shaw

    Christine & Don Shaw

    L/Sgt. J. H. Wraxhall Royal Army Service Corps

    J Wraxhall was captured and sent to Stalag XXIA then was moved in 1942 to Stalag XXID.2


    Pte. Christopher Fegellan "Tug" Wilson 2nd Searchlight Regiment, 5 Battery Royal Artillery

    Christopher is seated left of the photo marked with an x.

    My father in law, Christopher Wilson, was captured at Dunkirk 1939, he was marched to Blechammer, BAB21 and he remained at the camp until Jan 21st 1945 when he took part in the death march back into Germany, arriving at Moosburg, where he was freed by Gen Patton. I have a list of the dates, and places passed through on the march, the list is written on the back of red cross parcel lists. I also have photographs of him and approx 50 other prisoners at BAB21, on the reverse of some of the photos are names and addresses of other prisoners. I also have a list of bricklaying terms, these are his notes for a lecture to other prisoners, to alleviate boredom. The list of places contains 42 place names, the last entry reads. "April 29th 1945. Battle of Moosburg. Free at last. Gen Patton"

    Keith Newman

    R J Hastings 5th Btn. Gordon Highlanders

    My father, R J Hastings was in the Gordon Highlanders 5th Btn. He was captured at St.Valery and held in StalagXX1D.

    Ann Hastings

    Pte. John Harding 4th Battalion Cheshire Regiment

    My father, Jack Harding, was captured at Dunkirk. He was in the following camps: Stalag V1/A, XX1/B, XX1/D and finally Stalag 344. He never talked much about his experience as a prisoner of war and sadly as he is now deceased his story has died with him.

    I would love to hear from anyone who was with him at these camps or anyone who had a relative who was at the camps so my family & I can have some idea of what he experienced. I would particularly like to know what happened after the prisoners were liberated. The last date I have is 20.11.1944 when he was at Stalag 344.

    Anne Harding

    Bill Coaten

    I have a photo of my brother John Thompson when he was 4. It was a black and white picture but was colored in by Bill Coaten whilst he was in Stalag XX1D. We have no contact with Bill or his family as sadly our parents are no longer with us. Does anyone else have pictures that were coloured in by this man. He did a great job and we send him and his family our thanks.

    Margaret Pateman

    Lt-Col. Angus David Rowan-Hamilton MC Black Watch

    S. Flynn

    Pte. Roy Alfred Lonsdale 1/7 Btn. Middlesex Regiment

    Private 6846521 - Roy Alfred Lonsdale served with the 1st Kensington's and was held as POW No 6199 in Stalag 8b, Stalag 21a & Stalag 21d. Dad never talked much about that part of his life spent as a POW in Poland. On the few occasions that he did it made him very upset and depressed. He died in 1996. After my mother died I found a number of items that related to my father’s time as a POW. These included various documents, photographs and his "Soldier's Service and Pay Book", along with a small list of names and addresses.

    He was required to present himself for military training on Saturday the 15th July 1939 in Winchester. Since leaving school he had first been a pantry boy and then a steward on the railway, working on the "Coronation" from Kings Cross, London to Waverley, Edinburgh. He had obviously worked the return journey from Edinburgh on Friday 14th because we have a menu with that date. What the chain of events from that day are I do not know.

    What I do know is that Dad was taken prisoner at St Valéry on June 12th 1940, but have no details about his capture. The "Register Form For Recovered Allied Prisoners Of War" states that he was evacuated by the Americans on the 29th April 1945. The document states last prison Stalag VIIIB how long 4 years 11 mths, previous camp Stalag XXID. What I am confused about is where he was and when he was there. The paperwork in my possession says that his last prison camp was "Stalag VIIIB" and that he was there for 4 years 11 months and that previous to that he had been at "Stalag XXlD" but he had photographs from "Stalag XXlA" he was obviously at Stalag XXIA on July 7th 1942 because a "Next of Kin parcel card" of that date which he has signed shows his camp address as Stalag XXIA Germany. Page 4 of his service book lists the places he was taken to from his capture at St Valéry on June 12th 1940 until his arrival at Shulin? Poland on July 8th. Then some movements up to January 29th 1941.

    The details that I have seem to point to the fact that dad was in Stalag XXIA for some considerable time and Stalag VIIIB for a short period of time but there are also a few photographs that relate to Stalag XXID. I'm not certain when he was at Stalag XXID or how I would find out these details. I have an article dad sent to a local paper in Dec 1961 about how the Germans tricked them into working extra hours and days. If anybody can add any other information please contact me.

    Michael Lonsdale

    Ray Walker Royal Army Medical Corps

    5th February 1945

    At the time of writing this, I am listening to Artillery fire and bombing near this camp known as Stalag 344. About five thousand of us are awaiting our release by Russian troops. These are memories of my captivity. On May 29th 1940, we were in position near a river "somewhere north of Ypres". After a day of excitement and peril, beginning at approximately 7.00 a.m. with our billet, a barn, being set on fire by Jerry, I was captured. On our way back to German H.Q. we picked up three of our chaps who were wounded, and left then at a German R.A.P. After that, we who were fit marched back under guard to a house and stayed the night in the garden. It was cold and we were soon wet through with dew. Next day we moved on and at night reached Rosalere having covered about 45 kilometres. Our billet was a convent school. During the night the RAF bombed the town but missed us. From there we moved on another 38 kilos to a small place I do not know by name. Four days we stayed there in a small school playground. My 25th birthday was spent in this place. On June 4th we moved on another 41 kilos to Coudenarde. After being paraded round the town we were put in an old Belgian army barracks where we stopped for 3 days, most of the time queued up for food. There were thousands of British and French mixed, up. We were to curse the French fluently from then on. Whenever we moved from then on, the French were put in front. They carried so much kit - food and clothing - that they could not keep up with the British who had nothing. We saw these !*! sitting by the roadside eating while we starved and marched on. As the march progressed, the French straggled out more and more, so at each fresh start - mostly daily occurrences they were given longer starts on the British.

    On June 7th, we left Coudenarde and marched 35 kilos to Edingem, where we arrived at 11 p.m. On the road jerry guards stopped the British for over two hours while the French straggled on ahead. Then, in threes we were told to march on. One of the Germans said "Sing Tommy", so we sang "Tipperary" and others of the old favourites. To show we weren't too down hearted we sang "Hang out our Washing on the Siegfried Line"; as we came to the field where we were to spend the next couple of days. The Germans here didn't see eye to eye with us and bashed into us with big sticks yelling and raving. Because we couldn't understand then, they got real mad. June 8th; word came out to us that we could write a letter from here - only a short one. This I believe got home. In a full view of a road, three of us had a rough strip-down wash in a pint and a half of water. It felt good.

    Sunday June 9th: We left this spot and hiked onward. 40 Kilos we went that day to a place I haven't the name of. Somewhere I slipped up as I usually wrote the names and distances as a destination became apparent en route. At this place we were put into an old mill of some kind. Textile weaving I believe. In the yard we crowded, and at the end nearest the building were three field cookers, with Belgian Red Cross workers, issuing soup, not much, but it was good to our hungry bellies. We filed through and then on to the building to "grab" ourselves a spot on which to sleep. As we left here on June 10th, I wrote down what I thought was the name of the town from a railway signal box. Seeing it several times afterwards on other boxes I knew I was wrong. It may have meant north, South, East or West but it wasn't the name of town. 32 Kilos onward - not 'half-a-league' - we stopped at a town named WAVRE. On the way we passed through HAL and WATERLOO. Our route was skirting us round BRUSSELS. All this time we were living on what food we could get here and there from people in villages and towns we passed through. The Germans seemed to have no organisation to deal with P.O.W. As my fellow Stretcher-Bearer and myself [sic] were keeping with our Sgt. Major, who by this time was feeling "groggy", we didn't get much food. Those "froggies" in front didn't leave much for our boys either. The next place - Tienen, carried us towards Germany another 43 Kilos. At this place we all got some soup and rice as we went into field. It was midnight before I was "served'. This was June 11th. On the 12th we had the shortest march of the lot - 18 Kilos to St.Trudien. As we entered this place, people lined the streets to see us. Not to cheer but to sympathise - they were Belgians. We did manage to get a few lumps of sugar, two small bars of chocolate and a macaroon, which we shared. From here we went to Tongeren, 21 Kilos 'up the road'. All the places we passed showed signs of bombing or shelling. Some of the big towns were severely damaged.

    June 14th, we left 'Tongeren and soon after crossed the Dutch border. About 2.00 p.m. we reached our camp on the outskirts of Maastricht, after a 30 Kilo march. 6.00 p.m. a 2/Lt came over and said all Medical Corps and S.B's were to keep separate, if the German doctor had time to see our pay books and pass us; there was a chance of us going home from there. Next morning we moved out with the rest and got 1/5 of a loaf and a piece of raw pork fat. Holland- the part we saw - greatly impressed us a clean, nice place after what we had seen in Belgium. On the 15th we marched our last 30 Kilos. Crossing through Heerlen, the Dutch Red Cross had tables in the street and as we went past, we got something from them. I got a small packet of sweets a slice of bread and a small bun. We were all grateful. The end of that march was a railway siding 2 Kilos in Germany at a small place named Palensberg. We knew we were in Germany alright, as every house was hung with a Swastika flag. On this siding, there were some German nurses who treated blistered feet and dressed one or two minor wounds. A German officer of some sort wanted the brass band harp badge I wore on my tunic sleeve. When it was explained - not truthfully I am afraid - that it was a souvenir from my dead comrade, he seemed pretty decent and told me to keep it, so I promptly took it down and put it away in an inside pocket. Out of sight out of mind.

    Later we were put 50 in a cattle truck and taken away. All night we travelled and arrived next day at a place like a level crossing. From this point we marched on a very rough track about 3 miles to a camp, only British were on this party, as the French were separated at Palensberg - (loud cheers under breath). This camp proved to be only a transit camp, so, arriving on June 16th we left on the 19th. Three days on a train brought us to the place where this is being written - Lamsdorf in Upper Silesia. (Stalag VIII B) Friday June 21st was that fateful day. Here we were registered and given a German field card to send home the "glad" news, on this, the phrase "I am lightly wounded" did not get crossed out and caused mother a lot of unnecessary worry.

    Now started a "grand" time for us. We were fed on very watery soup, with 3 or 4 potatoes separate, for dinner. About 5.00 p.m. we got 1/5 of a loaf of bread about 10 ozs - with a very, very small portion of margarine and jam. After this we had to do from 8.30 to 10.00 a.m. and 5.00 6.00 p.m. Physical Training. When not on this we were either hunting LICE or resting in any place we could outside. Every time you stood up, you suffered from a "black-out' and then "spots before the eyes". This state of affairs, together with dysentery lasted for a long time. That winter was very severe and we had no warm clothing, no great coats and only two blankets. They were black days. A weekly paper, in English was issued to us, telling us the news - German version. They had done everything to us. Sunk our Navy three times over and practically sunk England. Sane chaps took it to heart and got real down hearted. We started a choir and sang four-part harmony. One chap produced a Saxophone he had carried from France. With this going, we got an hours singing at night during the good weather, instead of P.T.. It was impossible to make anyone realise what really happened on that March and in the following years of captivity. Many times the Germans tried to break our spirits. In some individual cases they succeeded, but on the whole, they failed.

    By Christmas 1940, with one or two piano accordions and several mouth organs, we raised an Orchestra and produced "Snow White and the Seven 'Twerps", There is no need to state where this was taken from. That Christmas seems to have been lucky as on December 24th we received our first Red Cross Food Parcel and on the 27th I had my first letter from England. It was from my mate and his wife. Mother’s first letter came about three weeks later.

    I was recognised as a person protected by the Geneva Convention and on April 2nd, 1941 went to another camp, (Stalag XX1 A), at Schildberg, which was 18 Kilos over the Polish border, passing through Oppeen and Kreuzberg on the way. This camp seemed like heaven after the one we had left. Here the doctor would only accept R.A.M.C. men, as the job we went to take on was working in hospitals. So when the camp had a 'clear out' on April 10th, ten of our party of twenty six moved on. About 200 men were in this party, which went on to Woolstien (Stalag XXI C/H). This was a French camp and we seemed unwanted guests. We stayed here for eight days and the "protected" men had a hard job to keep out of going on the pleas-ant job of canal digging. This we managed at the last minute without the aid of the R.S.M. in charge. 120 men left us on the 17th and we other 80 or so, moved next day to Sudhof, (Stalag XXI C/Z later XXI E), which is 3 Kilos out-side Gratz. This had been a French camp but was being taken over by British P.O.W. Towards the end of May we had a lot of snow and bitterly cold weather. About this time the remaining French left us. The Medical Orderlies were good chaps and so were the two doctors and the dentist. Us chaps, who were taking over the hospital, got up a farewell party, which consisted of a feed and afterwards some singing. This was broken up by a German Corporal assisted by two guards with rifles and fixed bayonets. When he first came in - without guards - we took no notice but carried on singing. The second time he didn't argue. Late next day, we learned that the senior French doctor had been fined 50 Riechmarks £3-6-8 for some alleged offence. We knew it was in connection with our party, so we raised the money to repay him. He declined the money and told us it was well worth that amount for so enjoyable an evening, so everyone was satisfied and happy. In the meantime a Saxophone, Clarinet, Trumpet, String Bass, Trombone and Bass Drum had come to light. A piano was in a small concert hall, so our "Orchestra" was started. The Saxophonist and Clarinet player were Army Bandsmen and quite good. Our Trumpet player was fairly good, too, but the chap who took the Trombone Well! X?. Later, this was taken over by a chap who did know a little about it. The pianist played by ear and not music. For a Side Drum - the small one - we had a 2Olb jam tin turned upside down with a bunch of keys jangling on the bottom. The String Bass player was myself - least said soonest forgotten.

    On June 22nd we heard Russia hail come in on our side. That morning I was told to report to the Commandants Office. Wondering what was wrong, I went. A new addition had arrived. An 80 Bass Accordion. He wanted to know if this was a good instrument and I played what I could remember of "Black Eyes" for him as a test. From then on I took the Accordion - not that I was good and another chap took the Bass. The Commandant was proud of the band, and thereafter, when anyone came to the camp, we were sent for post haste to play something. He got us music in the form of German dance arrangements.

    In May, just before the French left, we put on our first Variety show and called it "Spring is in the Air" No.1, that afternoon it snowed. Soon after the French left two British Medical Officers arrived. We spent a' good summer in Sudhof camp. October brought rumours of our camp becoming Russian and the British were leaving. Hospital staff and doctors stopping. We were to stay until February 1942. However, they changed that and we left on November 2nd 1941 to return to Schildberg. I went practically straight into the Orchestra there, on a Baritone, playing bass parts. Soon after the New Year of 1942, a party of Repats - back from Rouen - joined our Stalag and I met many chaps I knew.

    Whilst at Gratz, I had written for confirmation of my being a Stretcher Bearer protected under the Geneva Convention. In February the answer came that Records Office knew nothing of my being a S.B. Of course, I was promptly crossed off the rolls by the Germans. That made me elligible for work at anything, anywhere. Being in the orchestra saved me. I got a small job in the camp. A three valved Euphonium came soon after this, so I took that over in place of the Baritone. The orchestra had grown from 18 to 40 strong and it gave many concerts, which were greatly appreciated. Just before Christmas, we bought a String Bass and knowing something about it, I took that on. It was difficult at first, as I had only done dance work with the String Bass, but with plenty of practice, I made myself fairly good.

    In March 1943, Stalag XXI A closed down. The fit men went on three working parties. My party was last to leave and went to Krotoschin and became No.14 attached to Stalag XXI D. This was the nearest I ever got to breaking my hope that I would never have to work for Germany. We went to Krotoschin on Monday 29th March 1943 and we were given a week to 'settle down'. On Thursday we were taken out to "view the job". It was "miles from anywhere". No house or person in sight. In places it was ankle deep with water - very marshy. The contractor and surveyor were rank jews. The former handed out shovels saying,' "Ein uhr schnell arbeit" meaning "One hours quick work". He got it - I don't think. Then a real heavy snow storm came on. What a day! April 1st. Friday 2nd was spent in thinking up ways of getting off the party and back to main camp. Mine came on Saturday the 3rd, in the form of a recognition paper, making me again a protected person. I stopped on the job as medical orderly and went out each day with the workers. My main job, other than first aid, was heating up the 9 a.m. drinks, which chaps took out in beer bottles.

    In September thirteen unrecognised medicals were called in to join the Repats. For some reason they missed it but went in May 1944. My chum went on that. We had many disputes with the Germans over the amount of work that should be done. More often than not we got our own way. For three days we stayed out from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. They said we had to do 27 trains of earth, or stop there until we had. The lads did 12, which was 3 less than we had done before. They cut it to 18 - we still "kicked", 15 was our number. In the end, the guards "gave" us 1 and the foreman gave us 2 and we did our 15. Everyone was satisfied. This party was billeted beyond a German barracks, of which there were three in the town. On May 30th 1944 we moved into Stalag XXI D Posen. The camp there was an old fort, named Foert Rauch. The day before this the RAF had bombed Posen and there was plenty of damage to be seen. Within a week I got a job in the Medical Inspection Room doing dressings etc. Whilst in this camp I managed to do quite a bit of swimming.

    Posen broke up on August 17th and we went to Tescgen (Stalag VIII B), but out of 890, they could only take 500, so, with the remainder, I travelled on and got back to Lamsdorf, (now STALAG 344) on August 20th 1944. This camp seemed to have got worse during my absence. Several days we saw our bombers go over to bomb Oppeln and Blechammer. They always used our camp as a turning point.

    On Monday, 22nd January 1945 the evacuation of this camp began. My block was due to go on the 23rd. We did actually line up on the road, but the guards marched off without us. This was now February 10th, and we are hourly expecting Russian troops to arrive. For days we have listened to the gun fire, shelling and bombing, which is moving past us in the North West. We get the news twice a day from a set, somewhere in the camp. Now, like all the others I say "Come on Joe"! This is 4 years and 9 months after my capture. I hope to celebrate the fifth anniversary in England, if not at home.

    Sunday 11th February 1945 Today things are quiet. There have been several "strafing" attacks on the aero-drome close by, by Russian fighters. Germans have declared this area to be in a state of siege.

    Monday 12th February 1945 Early this morning, 8.00 a.m. a lone Russian bomber came over and bombed the aerodrome. The A. A. send plenty of stuff up, but did not seem to hit any planes. German fighters seem to be elsewhere when 'Joe's boys' came over. Fairly heavy artillery fire in W. & N.W.

    Tuesday 13th February 1945 Bad weather. Slight snow. Not much sound of activity.

    Wednesday 14th February 1945 Early this morning - approximately 4.30 a.m. Heavy artillery from N.W. and very close. Most probably German artillery shelling Russian bridge head over the River Oder. No further activity. Plenty of rumours regarding a move. Can't see where Germans can move us, as we are virtually surrounded. Thursday 15th February 1945

    More heavy shelling heard again. Air attacks also continue on air-field, but no German aircraft to be seen.

    Friday 16 February 1945 Early morning, a Russian tank came up to the camp perimeter and the commander spoke English. He said the Russians would rescue us in the next few days.

    17th February 1945 Sounds of fighting now seem to be moving in a direction indicating the Germans are retreating.

    Sunday 18th February 1945 We are expecting the Russian forces at any time now.

    Completed From Memory 28/5/81: On 19th February 1945, German guards suddenly appeared in the camp and said we had one hour to pack our things to move. Everyone was astounded that they planned to move us. There was only a single line railway in the area so we thought it was madness to use this. However, we were taken to the local station, and put 53 to a cattle truck. Where we were off to no-one knew. Twelve days we spent on this journey. During this time we saw a great number of trains filled with German civilians just trying to get away from the fighting. On many occasions we were stopped for air-raids and had to sweat it out hoping that we weren't attacked. The guards always fled to a safe distance. Our luck held. . A train load of P.O.W. following us was shot up, having some killed and wounded. Anything on the railways was a fair target for the Allied Air Forces. Our "piece de resistance" while on the journey was going to bed. Starting at one end of the truck, one chap would lie down and wrap his blankets round him, then another chap would do the same, only in a head to toe position, number 3 would follow the same way as the first chap and number 4 the same as number 2 and so on. The whole 53 managed to fit in in this manner. Getting up was in the reverse order.

    On 3rd March 1945 we arrived at a small place called Hammelburg. After we left the train, there was a hard march over a steep hill to a camp. After our lack of exercise many rests had to be made before we got to the camp. Hammelburg is not far from Sweinfurt. The air-raid warnings were almost continuous here.

    It was whilst in this camp that one 'day we were startled to hear a commotion from a nearby officers POW camp. Later, some new American POW's were brought in and we learned that General George Patton had sent tanks some 50 miles forward, to rescue his son-in-law from the Oflag. The tanks had run short of petrol and so the petrol was siphoned from half of them to allow the others to escape. It was during our stay at this camp that the "great escape" took place. This came about in the following manner. One day word got round the camp that the Germans were going to take the British prisoners out, to march on the roads. This was a ploy to stop the Allies Air Forces from strafing the retreating columns using the roads.

    Early the next morning, before the "round-up" was due, holes appeared in the barbed wire fences, and streams of men could be seen heading for nearby woods, carrying all their possessions in bundles. I and two others thought we had a good hide-out - in an empty sentry post on the perimeter of the camp. After about two hours, we had an awful fright when we saw a German N.C.O coming towards our hiding place. This is it, we thought. Fortunately - his attention was caught by one of the large holes, and he went through this, back into the camp. Another attempt was made later, and on this occasion, I managed to evade the guards by being hidden by Italian prisoners in their hut. When the guards came, all lights (home-made wicks in grease) were blown out and everyone pro-tested so hard that there were no British in the hut, that the guards were convinced and left.

    The camp was eventually taken over by the U.S. forces on 11th April 1945. We were flown home on 14th April.

    Ray Walker

    Rflmn. John Edwin Newbegin Kings Royal Rifle Corps

    Working party, Posen Poland

    John Newbegin served as a Rifleman with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps, he was taken prisoner and held in Stalag VIII-B at Cieszyn, Poland and Stalag XX1D at Fort Rauch.

    The photo of John Edwin Newbegin (bottom right) was taken in Fort Rauch Stalag XX1D. He has added some names to the photo. He passed away in 2008.

    Diana Newbegin

    Harold Tossell Middlesex Rgt

    I am looking for information about Harold Tossell of the Middlesex Regiment. He was a POW at Stalag 21D from May 1940 to 1945.

    Kathleen Burgess (McMillan)

    John Newbegin

    My father, John Newbegin, was in Fort Rauche Stalag XXID.

    Diana Newbegin

    William Henry Lucas Cheshire Rgt.

    My father, William Henry Lucas, served in the Cheshire Regiment during WWII. He joined the Manchester Regiment in 1926, serving in Germany, India and Egypt before war broke out. He was taken prisoner at Boulogne on 24th May 1940. His POW number was 2539. The POW camps he was in were Stalag XXIb in 1940, Stalag XXIa in 1941, XXId in 1941, XXIc, XIIb and Stalag 344. My father returned home at the end of the war and was medically discharged after serving five years in the camps. Like lots of others, he would never talk about what it was like. He passed away in 1974.

    John B Lucas

    SM Isaac Frederick Charles "Ivor" West Welsh Guards

    My father was captured at Dunkirk with the Welsh Guards.


    POW Book lists one West for the Welsh Guards:

    Camp 21D (at Posen) POW No. 4801 West I.F.C. SM (Sergeant Major) 4073960 W.G.

    B Banks

    Wally Bohannan Royal Army Medical Corps

    My grandad died, aged 50, before I was born. He served in the Royal Army Medical Corps. He was captured at Dunkirk because he stayed behind with theinjured. He was then marched across Europe stopping at various Stalags: XXID and VIIB Lamsdorf. would be great to hear from someone who knew him.

    Andrew Swaine

    Pte. David H. Johnson Tyneside Scottish Btn Black Watch

    I'm doing some research into my grandfather, Pte. David H.Johnson, of the Tyneside Scottish. Davey was held at Stalag XXID. Among the materials I found was a 21st Birthday card signed by his fellow prisoners and made by hand, as well as a charming advert for the POW Pantomine of Aladdin at the Kuhndorf Theatre (written by F.E.Cook and L.W Godfrey with Alec Buist and Syd Price helping). My grandad played the Princess.

    I've so many names and lists of people that he kept in contact with stuffed into little cigarette tins and German newspapers. Can anyone tell me if Stalag XXID is still standing, if so, it's a place that I'd feel the need to visit?

    Gary Brien

    Arthur Rueben John "Jack" Cornwall


    My mother has a postcard that my grandad Jack Cornwall sent when he was a POW in Stalag 21D.

    Richard Waters

    Pte. William Bray Oxford and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

    My dad, Private William Bray, Ox and Bucks Light Infantry was a POW in Stalag XXID. Any information or photos would be appreciated.

    John Bray

    Edward Smith

    I have two photos of prisoners at Stalag XXID possibly three but the third may be Stalag XXIB. My uncle Edward Smith was a prisoner for most of the war. Unfortunately, I do not have much information but would like to know more.

    Val Richardson

    Sgt. Anthony Maloney 5th Btn. King's Own Royal (Lancashire) Rgt.

    I think my grandad was at Stalag XXID, but he never spoke about it even to my grandmother. Sadly, he died in 2001 aged 93. He was Sgt Anthony Maloney of the 5th Btn King's Own Royal (Lancashire) Regiment. He was captured in 1940 but I have no exact dates or location. Any information would be appreciated. My grandma can only remember that he was at Posen in Poland - Stalag XX1D is the only camp I can find mention of there.

    John Anderton

    L/Bombdr. John Kirk Morrison 8th Heavy AA Rrgiment, 21 Bty Royal Artillery

    JKM standing on left

    JKM sitting front left

    Lance Bombardier John Kirk Morrison served in the British Expeditionary Force in 21st Battery, 8th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment (from Belfast). 21 Bty was detached from 8th Heavy AA to 4th AA Regt on 8th of Mar 1940. Although the other two batteries of the 8th Heavy AA Regt were successful in getting to Dunkirk, a number of members of 21 Bty were captured on 28th of May 1940 in the area of Armentieres.

    John was a prisoner (2894) at Stalag 21D and B and later at Stalag 3A. He escaped (at least once) and maintained a well-written diary, most of which is complete. He was freed on 28th May 1945 and spent three months with the US Army in a holding unit before returning to Northern Ireland. John passed away in 2012 at the age of 93 years.

    Dennis Simpson

    Pte. Archibald Mallett 2nd Btn. Gloucester Regiment

    Dad, Archibald Mallett was part of the BEF 145th Brigade sent to France in May 1940 and on to Orchies on the Belgium border. They were then sent on to defend the road to Dunkirk at Cassel. He was captured at Cassel on 27th May 1940 after receiving a shrapnel injury to his head. He was subsequently incarcerated in Stalag XX1B and he remained a POW until his release at the end of the war, suffering at the hands of the Germans.

    His regiment was almagamated with the 1st Btn the Glosters and he went on to fight in Korea at the battle of Gloster Hill and the Imjin River, managing to survive and return home.

    Dad never spoke of his war years and it is only in recent years that our family have learned of his past and how heroic he was. I am very proud of Dad, sadly he passed on in 1989. I have enclosed some of his papers showing different camps where he was held.

    Terry Mallett

    Rflmn. Alfred Thomas Boyce 2nd Btn. King's Royal Rifles Corps

    According to his war records our father, Alf Boyce, was a prisoner of war in Stalag XX1D and 344. All we know is that his experiences there badly affected him for the rest of his life.

    If anyone knows of him through their own stories or have any photos we would be very grateful to have knowledge and sight of these.

    Elizabeth Emslie

    Pte. Leo Brett Royal Scots

    My Father Leo Brett bottom row left.He was with the Royal Scots

    My father Leo Brett was in the Royal Scots. He was captured at Dunkirk and I think he spent some time in Stalag 344 Lamsdorf before being transferred to Stalag XXID.

    G Brett

    Ivan Prytulak

    My father Ivan Prytulak was Ukrainian, but served in the Polish Army, as Western Ukraine was under Polish rule. He was captured by the Germans, on his way to defend Warsaw, on the banks of the River Vistula, around October of 1939. After spending six weeks in a POW camp in Ostrowo, Poland, he was transported to Neubrandenburg Stalag No. 2A. His camp no was 19318. He must have been one of the first to arrive, as he wrote, they were building barracks, so he slept in tents. I am translating my father's autobiography from Ukrainian into English.

    J. Prytulak

    Recomended Reading.

    Available at discounted prices.


      The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.

      This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.

      If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.

      Hosted by:

      The Wartime Memories Project Website

      is archived for preservation by the British Library

      Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVIII
      - All Rights Reserved