- Stalag28a during the Second World War -
POW Camp Index
If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Allied Air Forces
Prisoners of War
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
TWMP on Facebook
Your Family History
If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.
Those known to have been held in or employed at
during the Second World War 1939-1945.
- Degenhard Lionel George. Corporal
- Smith Richard Sydney Grenville. 2nd Lt. This page is new, as yet no names have been submitted.
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List
The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.
- The 1st of September 2017 is The Wartime Memories Project's 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.
- To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
- Looking for help with Family History Research? Please read our Family History FAQ's
- The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Research your own Family History.
Sep 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 235634, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.
If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes.Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
Corporal Lionel George Degenhard 1st Battalion Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire RegimentMy father, Lionel George Degenhard, was Corporal with the 1st Btn. Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Regiment. He never wanted to talk about the war but has left a great memento in the form of a handwritten collection of experiences bound between the covers of two pieces of Red Cross cardboard.
Lionel George Degenhard, Corporal, 1st Btn. Bedfordshire & Hertforshire Regiment
Captured 28 April 1941 in Greece, liberated 2 May 1945.
He was stationed in the following four POW camps:
Stalag 357, N.C.O. Lager, Thorn Sud, Poland Stalag XV111 A, Wolfsberg, Austria Stalag XV111 A Zweilager, N.C.O. Lager, Spittal - Drau, Austria Stalag 357, N.C.O. Lager, Fallingbostel, Hannover, Germany
The following is an extract from his personal handwritten exerpts titled 'Camps I have worked at in Austria':
Klagenfurt - Canal Work - July to Sept 1941 Dachstein Obertraune H.V. 75 - Barrack Building - Sept to Nov 1941 Kleine Glodnitz A/13001/L - Road Making - Nov 1941 to Mar 1942 Huttengerg A/11205/L - Sawmill - Mar 1942 to August 1943 St Veit 11093/GW - Building - Aug to Sept 1943 Reichendorf A/550/L - Farm work - Oct 1943 to Jan 1944
I would swear it is him in the first photo, 2nd from left on back row, on The Wartime Memories Project - STALAG XXA POW Camp (357, Stalag Kopernikus) Page 2.
I am trying to locate all the camp sites in order that I can visit as many as I can this year. If anyone could help I would be so grateful. Thanks a million.
2nd Lt. Richard Sydney Grenville Smith 4th Queen's Own HussarsRichard Sydney Grenville Smith, was made a PoW in Greece in 1941 whilst serving with the 4th Queen's Own Hussars, ending up in Stalag XVIIIA, in Austria.James Close-Smith
Available at discounted prices.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved