You are not logged in.
Stalag12a Limberg in the Second World War 1939-1945 - The Wartime Memories Project -

The Wartime Memories Project

- Stalag12a Limberg during the Second World War -

POW Camp Index
skip to content

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you agree to accept cookies.

If you enjoy this site

please consider making a donation.

    Site Home

    WW2 Home

    Add Stories

    WW2 Search

 WW2 Features


    Allied Army

    Allied Air Forces

    Allied Navy

    Axis Forces

    Home Front

    Prisoners of War

    Allied Ships

    Women at War

    Those Who Served



    The Great War


    Add Stories

    Time Capsule

    TWMP on Facebook

    Childrens Bookshop


    Your Family History


    Contact us




World War 2 Two II WW2 WWII

Stalag12a Limberg

    If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.

    Those known to have been held in or employed at

    Stalag12a Limberg

    during the Second World War 1939-1945.

    The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List

    The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.


    • The 1st of September 2017 is The Wartime Memories Project's 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.
    • To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
    • Looking for help with Family History Research?   Please read our Family History FAQ's
    • The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.
      If you enjoy this site

      please consider making a donation.

    • We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.

    Research your own Family History.

    Dec 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 237716, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.


    We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.

    We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.

    If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.

    Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.

    If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes. Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
    Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.

    J.Cpl Frederick Wescott Parachute Regiment

    My Father, Fredrick Wescott joined the Parachute Regiment from the Cameron Highlanders when it was first formed, also for the 2 shillings a day extra (that's what he told us). He never really spoke about the war, but we know he joined up in 1938 and was at Dunkirk. He was posted to the 6th Airborne and dropped into Arnhan where he was captured. My Mother actually collected a weeks widows pension before she found out he had been taken prisoner. He took part in the forced march through Poland and back to Germany.

    Two things I can remember seeing from this time were a Woodbine packet which was signed by another Para to pay one days pay for one dead Rat, this during the march, also what we called the White book containing pictures and messages from all the leading figures of the day including The King and Churchill plus many many more.

    If I have got the facts about the march wrong could you please let me know as this is only a boyhood memory,I would like to know more about what he did during his time in the army.

    Bill Wescott

    W/O L. W. C. Lewis 514 Sqd.

    W/O Lewis survived the loss of Lancaster DS822 JI-T when it came down at La Celle Le Bordes France on the 8th of June 1944 whilst on a bombing raid to Massy Palaiseau. He evaded capture until the 16th of August and was then taken to Stalag 12a and later to Stalag Luft 1.

    Albert Edward Morgan

    Albert Edward Morgan was a POW in Stalag 12a; this is all the information we have. He did survive the war, but was divorced by my Grandmother due to his behaviour – this, we think, was due to what he went through in Stalag 12a and the war.

    Catherine Johnson

    Sargent Richard E Young 327 GIR Company G 101st Airborne

    My dad, Sgt. Richard E. Young of the 101st Airborne 327 GIR. Company G was captured at Marvie near Bastogne either the 23rd or 24th of December. I know he was taken to Limburg Germany but that is about all I can come up with. He was with Lieutenant Morrison at Hill 500 when he was captured late in the afternoon or evening. I am looking for the group of Germans who captured them. I think I can find out through the literature I have gathered. There are very few of his company left.

    Has anyone heard of Hill 500? I would like to go to Germany someday and trace his footsteps as much as I can.

    As far as information about Stalag 12a, I found information on my dad from the National Archives in Washington DC. The National Archives has since moved to Baltimore I believe.

    My dad was also at Carantan with the 101st where they were in a heck of a fight. The Sargent was hit by a mortar and Dad took over.

    I would like to know how and when my dad and the prisoners at Limburg in Stalag 12a were liberated.

    Rick Young

    Sargent Richard E Young 327 GIR Company G 101st Airborne

    My dad, Sgt. Richard E. Young of the 101st Airborne 327 GIR. Company G was captured at Marvie near Bastogne either the 23rd or 24th of December. I know he was taken to Limburg Germany but that is about all I can come up with. He was with Lieutenant Morrison at Hill 500 when he was captured late in the afternoon or evening. I am looking for the group of Germans who captured them. I think I can find out through the literature I have gathered. There are very few of his company left.

    Has anyone heard of Hill 500? I would like to go to Germany someday and trace his footsteps as much as I can.

    As far as information about Stalag 12a, I found information on my dad from the National Archives in Washington DC. The National Archives has since moved to Baltimore I believe.

    My dad was also at Carantan with the 101st where they were in a heck of a fight. The Sargent was hit by a mortar and Dad took over.

    I would like to know how and when my dad and the prisoners at Limburg in Stalag 12a were liberated.

    Rick Young

    Spr. Thomas McCarthy 100th Army Field Company Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers

    My dad, Thomas McCarthy of the 100th Army Field Company Royal Monmouthshire, Royal Engineers was captured at Wattou, near Dunkirk on 29.5.1940. After a time in Stalag X11A and Stalag 344 he was transferred to Stalag V111B at Teschen on the Polish border. He remained there as a POW (no 15356) until the ‘death march’ on 20.1.1945. On 9 May 1945 he and other survivors crossed American lines at Karlsbad.

    Sadly, my Dad died of ill health in 1963 when his three children were very young, so we were never able to talk to him about his time as a POW. But we did have left to us a very small notebook in which he kept a record of the ‘death march’ which is reprinted below. Tom used a pencil stub to bravely keep a record of what happened, despite the risks to him. The original of the notebook in now in the Regimental Museum in Monmouth.

    Copy of handwritten log of Sapper Thomas (Tom) McCarthy:-

    January 20TH 1945 Started marching, given one loaf 2000grams

    January 25th 1945

    • 1/3 Loaf 1 kilo 333 grams
    • Ľ Loaf 2 Kilo 500 grams
    • Ľ loaf 2 kilo 500 grams
    • 1/5th loaf 2 kilo 400 grams
    • 1/6 Loaf 1800 grms 300 grams
    Total: 4033 grams

    February 19th 1945: Stopped marching. For the last 30 days we were given 4033 grams or 8 &4/5lbs of bread, and 2lbs of marg for 42 men and a soup a day except for 4 days when we got a few potatoes. Some parties had Red Cross food to start, but we had none, nor cigs. In the 30 days we marched 420 KM. We stared with 314 English about 400 Russians and 40 labourers.

    20th February 1945: The weather is very cold, everything is freezing. If you take your boots off at night you have trouble to get them on in the morning. If you don’t you cannot sleep with the cold. Some days, and on the forced night march the boots were freezing while marching. The night marching was hell. A lot of men were put in hospital with frost bitten feet and ears. The RMC chap with us told me that some would have to have one foot off and a few would lose two. Seven Russians passed out that first week, I saw three of them at one barn. The only thing that kept me going was the thought that we were going west and that was going home.

    24th February 1945: We have had 250 grams of bread per day since the 19th except for one day it was stopped as two men were found stealing potatoes and one day no soup.

    25th February 1945: Still in the same barn, things are very bad. You can sell one days bread for 3 cigs. Getting weak, blackout when I stand up. A lot have got dysentery and one chap fainted. Lost the Pole last night - I had to get rid of all his clothes. I spend all my time thinking of food. Guards shot Russian for stealing potatoes and planted him ten minutes later in the yard. Sandy gone to hospital. One Red Cross parcel for thirty five men - I got half a tin of Ovaltine.

    12th March 1945: Marched 22 KM west to a new barn. New guards much better. Started with Aussie and Keyes.

    15th March 1945: Weather much better. Had a wash down. First time I’ve had my pants off since starting.

    16th March 1945: Went to bed with pants and pullover off.

    25th March 1945: Letter home and washed down. About thirty men working cutting wood. One or two men to a house.

    29th March 1945: Had half a Red Cross parcel. I went out working for a day and had too much to eat. After so long on so little I’ve been ill all day. I’ve also got piles. Good news heard today that our troops are 240kms west.

    5th April 1945: Marching again- given half a loaf for two days, going to a Stalag- marched 25KM, rained all day.

    6th April 1945: Marched 26KM- its not a Stalag just new huts for the 1200 men. Anyway it’s the finish of the march (we hope). It’s the first time we’ve had a bed since 20th January. We have been having seven men to a loaf, we are hoping it won’t be less.

    8th April 1945: Ten men to a loaf. Met H. Harris, P. Evans, Stan Fowler and G. Franklin. Half the camp is lousy. Can’t get water to drink, but got a parcel a man. I can’t leave the butter alone- I’ve been eating it with a spoon.

    13th April 1945: George away with the NCO- I have not done any work yet been going sick.

    14th April 1945: I had to go to work

    16th April 1945:

    Five hundred men came to the camp for the night. They say the Yanks are near Dresden. Everyone sent back to the camp from work. We are hoping we’re not off. got 4 cigs a man from the Red Cross.

    19th April 1945: Big air battle over the camp. One 4 engine bomber came down near the camp, and a few further away. No news but all hoping for the best.

    20th April 1945: Things getting bad. Sold my cigs for 1 and ˝ loafs. We can hear gun fire. A few planes bombed somewhere west of the camp. We could see the bombs leaving the planes.

    21st April 1945: We can hear guns but cannot tell where or how far away as we're in the hills. Water came on at 2.00 am this morning. I got up and got three soupbowls full for a bath. Found a few lice in my vest.

    24th April 1945: I think we were hoping for too much. Everything gone quiet, no air raids or gunfire. Feel weak when I walk about. Everyone is the same. All you can hear is men talking of food. It don’t worry me now. There is talk of moving. Hope not- if we have to sleep out in the woods it will kill us.

    25th April: They want seven hundred men for work tomorrow- I went sick today but must see MO in the morning. Sold my cigarette lighter for 2 cigars

    26th April: Seen the MO. He told me my chest is all right but there is something wrong with my heart. He did not say what. Anyway no work. Seven hundred men had to go to Pirna.

    27th April 1945: Done some washing, and when I went to get my dinner I had my socks swiped. Heard the Lambsdorf crowd are away.

    30th April 1945: Got a smoke- Kaye sold his socks. Good soup not water.

    1st May 1945: BBC news given out (good). The war must be over they have just given us half a cup of milk at 9.00pm at night, and the soup today was very good.

    2nd May 1945: They came into the hut at 1.00am this morning with the news that Hitler had been killed, and Donitz has taken over, and a few hours later that Berlin has fallen.

    3rd May 1945: BBC news very good. We are all waiting for the finish. Half a cup of milk.

    4th May 1945: Fifty german cigarettes a man, the first since 1940 that we could get. Yesterday bread was 15 cigarettes, this morning it is 3. BBC says the north has fallen. It seems we will be the last. German and Polish MO passed me as unfit to march.

    5th May 1945: Talk of the sick moving and the camp can hear guns

    6th May 1945: Ready to move at 6.00am but not going now until 1.00 don’t know where to, but near a hospital- guns going all night.

    7th May 1945: Left Hohenstine at 1.00pm. Got to Bilin at 10.00pm. Seen the doc at hospital. Left Bilin for Stalag 1Vc (Teplice)- hear the war is over.

    8th May 1945: They say we can march to our lines, or stay- I am moving. 3.00pm over taken by Russians at Dubi.

    9th May 1945: Started marching to the Yanks. Got a lift 28kms that makes 80K. At Karlsbad slept out.

    9th May 1945: Behind the Yank lines!

    10th May 1945: New house at Eger- Slept!

    Gabrielle Taylor

    S/Sgt. Thomas Gunton Budington 69 Inf.

    Our father Thomas Budington was captured in France, around Oct. 20 or so of 1944. He was shipped around Germany in box cars and ended up in Stalag 3c in Kristan Germany (now in Poland). On his German POW dog tags are the following numbers: ST- XII A, under which is: 93019.

    After the war he was a lawyer, Police Officer with NYPD and an NYS Court Officer, he died in 1990. Any information anyone might have would be appreciated.

    Tom Budington

    L/Cpl. William Bert Lewington 1st Btn. Dorsetshire Regiment

    My Dad's name was William Bert Lewington, he was captured at Dresden and marched to Stalag XII-A where he was a prisoner of war until march 1944. I don't know a lot about his life as a prisoner as like many of our hero's they didn't want to talk about it. As he was a cook he was sent to either Berge-Belsen or Auschwitz to help feed the interns of the camps. I remember him saying he lived on potato soup and had a very bad case of dysentery when he was released. As he was an enlisted soldier firstly in the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment prior to being captured, on re-joining the army he was transferred into the 1st battalion of the Dorsets.

    Like many others it did effect their life after the war. I was 11 years old when he died so I would really like to find out more about his life in the army. If any one could help me in this quest I would be grateful.

    Eve Bailey

    Pfc. Richard M. Rairdon Co. C 314th Infantry Regiment

    My father, Richard M. Rairdon, PFC., was captured in November of 1944 and spent much of the time he was a POW at Stalag 12A, Limburg. He was nearly starved to death and received a second Purple Heart for the damage he received to his feet as a result of the severe frost bite he also suffered.

    He also related to me the story of the Dec. 24, 1944 bombing which killed the officers in their barracks. He was assigned the next day, Christmas, to removing the remains of the dead officers. He also helped remove the only two who survived and carried them out. He was reunited with those two men in the 1990's after I recognized an account of this same story in the Catholic Digest, written by one of the men! Amazing coincidence that I found the story.

    Dad was liberated on April 14, 1945 from prison camp by an American tank unit.

    Robin Borchers

    Pfc. Calvin Billy Luther Battery "B" 589 Field Artillery Regiment

    My father was, PFC Calvin Billy Luther, assigned to Battery "B", 589FA, 106th Inf in the Battle of the Bulge. During the timeframe of 15 Dec 44 thru 24 Dec 44. He and his field artillery unit were responsible for the defense of a junction later named "Parker's Crossroads", also later nicknamed the "Alamo of Virginians". As their 105's were reduced in number from 12, to 9, to, 6, to 3 well, just imagine what they were left to defend themselves with... Eventually wounded, in a ditch for cover, and then rounded up as POWs, he and his best friend - Jack Ebbott, were headed off to Stalag 12A - Limburg. I have in my possession his German issued POW dog tag, prisoner # 4418...

    Anyone, anyone at all who might shed some further light on Parker's Crossroads, near St Vith, and the 589th FA, 106 Inf during this timeframe would be greatly appreciated

    J. C. Luther

    Pfc. Donald Willis Lawrence

    My Grandfather Donald Lawrence enlisted in the Army in 1941 and was shipped to the War. I don't know much about his military service but I do know he was captured by the Germans on 11-8-1944 and was released in 7-9-1945. And stationed at Stalag 12a to 9b Linburg an der Lahn, hessen-nassau, Prussia 50-08. He served from 1941-1946.

    I am looking for any info on him I can find. I have sent out for his records and hope to receive them. My mother has his pics, medals, his letters, and dicharge papers. His name is Donald W. Lawrence and would of been 23 years old when captured. He passed away in 1984 and I was only 7 at that time but I do have memories of him. If any one has info or knows him please contact me.

    Steve Reghan

    Thomas McCarthy 100th Field Company Royal Engineers

    Tom is second from left middle row.

    My dad, Tom McCarthy of the 100th Field Company, Royal Monmouthshire Engineers was captured at Wattou, on the retreat to Dunkirk on 29.5.1940. After a time in Stalag X11A and Stalag 344, he along with 96 other POW's was transferred to Stalag V111B at Teschen on the Polish border. I have a Christmas Card sent by POW's from Stalag in December 1942. Tom remained there as a POW (no 15356) until the "death march" on 20.1.1945. On 9 May 1945 he and other survivors crossed American lines at Karlsbad.

    Sadly, my Dad died in 1963 when his three children were very young, so we were never able to talk to him about his time as a POW. But we did have left to us some pictures and Xmas Cards and a very small notebook in which he kept a record of the "death march". Tom used a pencil stub to bravely keep a record of what happened, despite the risks to him. The original of the notebook in now in the Regimental Museum in Monmouth.

    Gabrielle Taylor

    Pte. Henry Lenton Royal Artillery

    My late father Henry Lenton was the youngest child of William and Helen Lenton nee Gunn of Walsall they had been publicans in Walsall Foreign Staffordshire. He was child of the St Marys the Mount RC school and served on the altar as a young boy. My father joined the artillery south staffs regiment in 1936 at the age of 17 yrs. He did most of the campaigns during WW2; Dunkirk, Tunisia, El Alemein, Africa and the Holy Land, he was in the airborne parachute regiment in 1944 on Operation Market Garden [Pegusus] earning his wings at Ramat David Palestine K57,a red beret.

    He was sent to Arnhem with the airborne to capture the Bridge and was taken POW on 25th Sept 1944 at Oosterbeek whether this was in bombed shelled HQ of the day or on the river of 54 men left in the late evening during to heavy German firing on the river is unclear. He was in the 11th Battalion. My father was then taken by cattle train truck,the marched into Limburg where he was to be prisoner of War in Stalag 12A from Sept 25th until liberation the following year. His mother passed away in February 1945, therefore he was never to see her beloved face again. My father didn't talk much about the war, but like most young men, tried to begin life again, sadly his wife was diagnosed in 1950 with MS and life was going to be tough for them and their 8 children, today Henry's legacy of loyalty lives on through his children who live across the world, in Australia, UK and Scotland and his memory will never leave us, such brave young men.

    Jennifer Lenton

    PFC. Carlyle Willis Spreeman 112th Infantry

    Carlyle W Spreeman served with the 112th, 22P infantry in WWII. He was part of the courier service and went from foxhole to foxhole with orders from the officers to advance, retreat, whatever was needed. He was captured around November 3 just prior to the Battle of the Bulge, on a road in the Hurtigen Forest in Belgium. Although assigned to Stalag 12, mostly he and other POWs were crammed in boxcars and taken to work in the farm fields and at feed mills, carrying sacks of grain.

    The POWs were liberated by the Russians near the Black Sea and told to find their way to the coast and live off the land. Dad would tell our family the good stories but mourned the loss of the men he knew and served with in the war in silence.

    Bev Spreeman

    Pte. Adolph Ciummo Coy.C 501st Parachute Inf. Regt.

    Adolph Ciummo parachuted into Holland September 17th, 1944 in Operation Market Garden. He was captured the following day and spent the rest of the war in several pow camps among them Stalag 7a and Stalag 12a. Any information regarding him will be greatly appreciated.

    Lawrence Depetrillo

    Charles Leslie "Timber" Wood 9th Btn. Royal Northumberland Fusiliers

    These are notes written by my father for school work for his grandson. We found them recently:

    It was June 1939, I had to sign on as a Militia Man which was compulsory and in October 1939 I was called up, the war having begun Sept 3rd 1939. I boarded the train at Middlesbrough Station to Darlington and after an arduous day ended at Alnwick in the 9th Battalion Royal Northumberland Fusiliers. I was billeted with 80 others in the Drill Hall at Alnwick and slept on a palliasse (a thin straw mattress) on the floor of the drill hall. The following morning after a succession of interviews name, home address etc. I ended the day being Fusilier C L Wood 4275280. Then followed the training to make us all first class soldiers if that was possible.

    In December we moved from Alnwick to Gosforth Park Racecourse near Newcastle and about the same time a few NCOs and Officers were drafted to us from the 1st Battalion stationed in Egypt. How smart they were compared to us rookies – we had a long way to be as good as they were! We were a machine gun battalion, and practised on what was called DPguns (Demonstration Purposes), and it was with these guns we went into action. They were serviced by RAOC but never tried until May 23rd 1940. At Gosforth Park we were given, but never got embarkation leave. We left there about April 21st arriving in Southampton on April 22nd. The following morning we embarked on a ship called the Fenella, with a red and white Rose in everybody's tin hat because April 23rd is St Georges day. That day is the Regimental Day, because the regimental cap badge depicted St George killing the dragon.

    So off we went to France and we landed at Cherbourg (The Fenella was attacked by Aircraft and sunk 29 May 1940). Moving from the docks in cattle trucks made for horses, we arrived at a tiny village called Monchy Breton eventually ending up at St Omer on the 23rd May 1940. What a surprise was waiting for us. The serviced DP gun jammed after firing one round and to complicate matters we came up against General Rommel’s Army and I became a P.O.W on May 23rd.

    What a dejected lot we were being forced to march across France. The water placed at the side of the road in enamel buckets by the French people was kicked over by the German soldiers before anyone could get a drink. It was this behaviour that led me and a companion to escape which wasn't difficult. The danger was being shot if the guard saw you. At least you would be able to get a drink of water whenever you wanted Hope of getting back to England was limited, we were on the loose in a foreign country, with no idea what was happening, and no way of communicating with anyone. It was inevitable we would be recaptured. After four attempts to escape, I was finally caught near Sedan behind the Maginot Line and where the Germans had broken through the Ardennes. It was from here I was taken to Beau Châteaux in Belgium. I was put to work for several weeks for the German Luftwaffe (German Air-force) as a skivvy, washing dishes etc. I was given food leftover in the cook-house to take back to the camp. There was another 7 British soldiers with whom I shared grub. They had built a partial grass hut to sleep in with pine branches laid on the roof to keep the rain out.

    Our next camp was Trier in Germany which was placed on a hill. It had wooden barrack huts and it was in this camp I was arrested for watching the French roast potatoes on an open space in front of the hut. When I asked the French interpreter what I had done wrong all he said to me was “you go to prison twice”. It wasn’t until the early hour early hours that I realised what he was trying to tell me. I was in a cell in one of the barracks and therefore I was in a prison in a prison camp. Next morning after swilling my cell out, I was brought to the entrance of the barracks and my gaoler asked what had to be done with me? The answer I found out in the next minute for I was turned towards the doors and given a hefty kick up the backside which propelled me me through the doors. I ended up sprawled flat on my face in the prison camp. I picked myself up and hurried back to my own billet. We had still not been officially recognised as prisoners of war. It was only after travelling another two days and three nights on a train to the next camp Stalag X11A Limburg that we were.

    I became Krugsgefangener (Prisoner of war) No 21556 and got my first taste of the most revolting dish I had ever tasted in my life, and to make matters worse it was cooked by British P.O.Ws. It was supposed to be a German delicacy, Sauerkraut! How on earth could they mess sour cabbage up. Well I’ll tell you they were too lazy to take it out of the barrel and wash it in cold water. Instead they just tipped out the barrels of cabbage vinegar and all and added few potatoes.

    I was glad to leave StalagX11A. We travelled across Germany for another 3 days and 3 nights, 80-100 in each cattle truck. We ended up in Thorn near Danzig on the river Vistula. Did I say I was glad to leave Limburg? Well, I would go back - at least it was clean. This was the Balloonhalle Fort X11A, Stalag XXA Thorn Poland and it was here I was introduced to the louse. On entering the camp we were searched and were told only one shirt or one pullover, not both. During this search any excess clothing was taken. However this did not affect me. I had only a thin German shirt given to me in Limburg. I eagerly accepted a French Army pullover from one of the lads with excess clothing.

    After finding my billet which was a marquee tent I wandered around the camp and came across a sergeant with his shirt off delousing. On asking what he was doing, he said “Have you just come in today?" To which I said "Yes!" "Well you'll be here tomorrow!” and I was. Those lice were to become a pest to all P.O.Ws. in Stalag XXA for the next 18 months. Thorn or Stalag XXA consisted of 7 forts built by East Prussians in the nineteenth century. Of these, Fort 19, was the Laundry, Fort 12 was the showers and Fort 14 the Hospital Forts. 11,13, 15, and 17 housed all P.O.W,s with tempory camps added to Fort 11 became 11A. Similarly Fort 13 became 13A and we were overun with lice, nobody escaped, everybody had them and I mean everybody! The German Authority delighted in this I'm sure, by moving prisoners with lice from one camp to another where prisoners were clear of lice.

    During this period of 1940/41 I moved from Fort 12A to Fort 15 and it was there everybody got rid of lice one room at a time. Clothes were deloused in a steam engine and fresh straw put in all palliasses. This was short lived however because we were moved to Fort 13A and awoke the following morning crawling with lice again. Later in 1940 we moved to Fort 11 and once again got rid of the lice only to be transferred shortly after to 11A and became once again lousy. Off again to Fort 13 we were to became stationary for a few months so getting once again comparatively clean

    Red Cross parcels were by now beginning to filter through and we were receiving one parcel and 50 cigarettes per man each week. When Germany declared war on Russia we were being given two parcels a week. I'll give you an idea of the content of a parcel although some varied depending on which in town they were packed. On average there were 16-20 items a parcel such as: Packet Tea, Tinned Margarine, Tinned Jam/Marmite, Salt and Pepper, Tinned Pilchards, Dairylea Cheese (which was nearly always mouldy), Packet Hard Jack, Bar of Soap, Bar of Chocolate, Tin of Cocoa, packet of Greens Yorkshire Pudding Mix, Jelly Crystals and Custard Powder, Tinned Bacon and Tin of Powdered Eggs, Packet Sugar and Tinned Nestles Milk. This would last the whole week especially if you “mucked in” with someone. This meant only opening one article, like a meat loaf for instance, which you shared with your mucker . This meant your parcel would last much longer.

    Propaganda was rife in the camps, sometime true and sometimes totally untrue. A smattering of truth mixed with a load of codswallop. By now things were beginning to pick up. Clothing parcels and letters were always welcome. As time went on news came through on special days and we could only assume someone had a radio and was picking up the BBC. Long before Germany declared war on Russia we knew there was something going on because troops were continually moving east through Poland. A never ending cry from one working party to another was “Joe's on the Border”.

    Working parties worked mainly with a shovel, and each day the majority of P.O.Ws took something out of the camp to “flog” to the Poles. It meant asking to go the toilet thereby meeting a Pole who had something to sell, which was mainly bread for cocoa chocolate or underwear from your Red Cross parcel. All this was illegal and we were forever watching the guards to keep out of their way until we had sealed our bargain. You would then go back to the trench or wherever you where working with a loaf or two concealed in your battle dress. This meant sometimes the loaf had to be cut in half or even quarters to distribute round your body, and I became quite adept at this although many a time had a “bread rash” where the loaf chafed on my body. .

    Alas we were on our way again, but this time to leave Poland. We spent another 2 nights and days on the train. The reason for the longevity of the journey was we were shunted into sidings to allow troop trains to pass. We arrived at our destination which was Reigersfield Upper Silesia. By now the Germans were getting organised and we became Bau und Arbeits Battalion 20 BAB20 for short. This camp was all section huts, and the usual barbed wire round the perimeter. Hot and Cold water was available in the wash room which had showers for about 20 at a time. It was thirteen weeks before we received another parcel from the Red Cross because it took them that long to catch up with us at the new address. In the meantime everybody went to work unless you were excused by the RAMC Lt Col. I was put on a party supposedly of joiners erecting section huts in a camp over the road from ours. It was to house Italians rounded up by the Germans in Italy to work for the Deutsches Reich (the German National State). This job didn't last long with the erection of the section huts coming to a close. I was 1 of 10 from the working party of 20 to be picked to work for a firm called Duclek. They had been contracted to build houses for key workers of a Chemical Plant called I G Farben. This only lasted for 6 months and again I was 1 of 6 from the 10 chosen to go and work for the same firm who had a small building site in Heydebreck. This meant travelling by train from Reigersfield to Heydebreck about 10 miles up the line. The guard who had been to the Russian front had been wounded in the arm and ended up in BAB20. This job lasted a considerable period and we had via the Red Cross new battle dress, greatcoat and boots. I sent a letter home asking for a metal cap badge of the Regiment.

    Oh what a difference! We went to the station with our button and cap badges highly polished in our battledress and we were aware of the discussions on the platform by the civilian population regarding the difference between the British and German uniforms. There were times when we really went over the top by washing our gaiters in the wash room putting on German toothpaste which made a very good white. The job was coming to an end and so was the war.

    In June 44 I got a job with a firm called Beringer of Mannheim, Central Heating Specialists as a welders helper, putting the welding gear together and then watching the welder do the work. Then it happened American bombers flew over from Italy, bombing the factory, and putting it out of action for a week or so. On the day the factory started working again the Americans were back again and this continued even on Christmas day.

    By Jan 25th 1945 the Russians were only 50-70 miles away and were firing over the camp into Cosel, about 7 kilometres away. At 5 o’clock that night all Red cross parcels were issued and we left camp to cross The Oder at midnight. After being forced to march all night we were only 13 Kilometres from the camp but we were across the river where the Russians were pulled up and resting, while we trudged further away in a couple of feet of snow. The following 3 months were hazardous We would march approx 30km(18.6 miles) a day, sleeping in barns in villages chosen by the German Authority. After two weeks all our Red Cross and rations were gone and we could only rely on the farmer into which barn we were billeted for any food he could spare. At this stage in the war there was very little and we often went hungry. The weather didn't help either - often 15ş to 20ş below zero

    It was about this time that Maurice and I decided to look(scrounge) for food after each days march. (But first I must tell you about Maurice, who I have just met again in Bournemouth after not seeing each other for 42 years). Maurice was a matelot on the HMS Glowworm patrolling off Norway when it was trapped by a German cruiser and a destroyer. After a fierce battle it was sunk in the North Sea, as related to me by Maurice I have since read an account of the battle, so I know what Maurice told me at the time was true. His Captain decided to take on the Cruiser Von Hipper and destroyer, hoping to sink the Von Hipper and then deal with the destroyer. Drawing a circle with a smoke screen the Glowworm kept hoping to be in range of the Von Hipper and sink it reversing engines to come back into the smoke screen. At one stage it crept out of the smoke screen and the Von Hipper was dead ahead. It was inevitable they would hit the cruiser but with not enough speed to damage it . Their location now known it was at the mercy of the Von Hipper and was sunk with 500 crew on board. Only 28 were picked up by the Von Hipper. The gallant captain was awarded the VC posthumously - he had gone down with the Glowworm.

    Maurice and I decided to try our luck going out each night (the guards were tucked up beside the fire in the farmers house). So our ventures began. We always made a point of finding out if there was a village near the one we were staying in. It was obvious that we couldn't knock on doors in the village in which we were staying as we might have been confronted by one of our guards. So off we would go scrounging each night and one night Maurice and I knocked on a door and asked for food. We were asked to come in and were given a couple of slices of bread. But one particular German visiting this family asked us quite a number of questions about why we were out without a guard. I stalled him by saying we were allowed out until 10 o'clock just as the French were. He seemed satisfied, so Maurice and I left to look for somewhere else. Then a voice shouted HALT! It was the German who had questioned us in the house. He said he was the Burgermeister of the village and didn't believe our story and was going to take us back to our own village. We didn't want this so I said to Maurice when I count to 3 you run one way and I’ll run the other. He won't be able to catch both of us. At the count of 3 Maurice was off one way, me the other, with the Burgermeister after me. He caught me and took me back to the Farmhouse I said I was from, and knocked on the door . The door was opened by the farmer and after a discussion he let us in. The guards who had been sitting round the fire all stood up. One asked me if I came from that farm. I said “yes”. Well, all hell broke out, one of the guards took me to the door, and gave me a smart kick up the backside, and I was off to the barn.

    This did not suit the Burgermeister and he came into the barn looking for me, and I could see his dilemma - he couldn't tell one prisoner from another, “Where is the prisoner who has just come in” but nobody answered and without being able to identify me, he couldn't take it any further and so he went out of the barn mumbling something about prisoners wandering about the village, they could be killed in their beds. He reprimanded the guards for allowing us to get out, and so we settled down for the night, ready to march again the next day. We left behind a very exasperated Burgermeister (Mayor).

    On another occasion Maurice and I were stood in a back-alley, deciding whether to go across the road and knock on a door. Suddenly 2 of our blokes came from out of the blue, they knocked on the door and were welcomed in. While we were watching the door someone else was watching us. It was a lady and after talking to us for a while, she told us to wait there while she went and got us some food. I didn't like it and knowing our lads were still in the house, I said to Maurice to go and knock on the door and I would wait for the lady to come back. If she brought anyone back I would be the only one caught. I was so intent on watching the door opposite that I didn't see her come back, until she said where's your comrade. She had 2 parcels of sandwiches in her hand. I said if she gave me the sandwiches I would give them to Maurice. This was not satisfactory she wanted to give them to Maurice herself. We both went over and knocked on the door, the people that answered the door knew the lady so we were invited in and she gave Maurice his sandwiches. The other 2 men were drinking and listening to the radio. After a chat the lady left. Maurice and I were beginning to enjoy ourselves, when there was a knock on the door, It was a fellow who seemed to be in evening dress, all dressed up like a tailors dummy. He said he had come for me and Maurice and would we follow him. We knew the lady had sent him so we duly obliged. He took us to a building not far away, and down a passage and marched us across the floor. There was our lady waving us over. It was a restaurant packed with Germans solders having a meal. Taking a deep breath Maurice and I walked across the room. She gave us a glass of some sort of spirit, then Maurice and I snuck out the back door and legged it back to camp, having enough of German soldiers for one night.

    Passing through the corner of Czechoslovakia we were given bread galore and went to bed with a full belly. Spring had broken and our boots were absolutely wringing wet and nearly as uncomfortable as they were when they were frozen We continued putting straw in them to dry them out. The weather was starting to pick up the warmer winds clearing the snow and ice and there was water everywhere.

    The war was coming to a close and several R.A.F. sorties had fired on us. This led to the German Camp Kommandant issuing an instruction for us to wave a towel or anything white. Three RAF fighters came out of the clouds, and cut right across our column firing in the air, this caused part of the column to halt, the front part moving forward still waving towels. The RAF came back around and it was then I noticed 2 German lorries at the side of the road in the space we had just left, with the German drivers and their mates heading for the woods on foot. This was too easy for the RAF but made good target practice for them. As they flew off leaving the 2 wagons on fire, ammunition bursting all over, they tipped their wings in acknowledgement. It was sometime before we got going again.

    It was now April and we found ourselves marching through the woods from the small village where we had been billeted and into Bayreuth (I believe it was the home of Wagner). We were put to work, well half of us the other half going on to the next billet The intention being we would work in the morning and change over in the afternoon. We were put to work filling in bomb holes at the station in Bayreuth and the keen nose of the P.O.Ws led them to a wagon stationary on its own in the railway sidings, No wonder, it was full of black bread and at midday whoever unloaded that wagon would find it missing. On the changeover while waiting on the platform one of the prisoners opened a crate that was stood there. It was full of cheese, before you could blink there was nothing left and 4 of the cheeses were smuggled into the special pockets of my greatcoat tail which were sewn in by me to carry a loaf in each. Panic ensued as an Alsation dog was brought in and sniffed the empty crate. The Railway Police were called. Hearts pounding the dog went from one to the other ending up sniffing a haversack placed against the wall. “Whose haversack is this?" shouted the guard and one of the lads stepped forward, the Alsation taking a bite at his backside. An air raid warning began and we were quickly lined up and began to walk back to our billet which was a brickyard. We had hardly got moving when the siren started wailing at a fast rate, which meant the planes were overhead. The bombs were falling. I slipped off my haversack and coat and threw them against the wall and dived under a tree, behind a prominent hotel on the main road. It became extremely uncomfortable. Sat under the tree I felt exposed to danger. Several others felt the same. One by one we dived into the cellar of the hotel and minutes later thought it was the end. Flames shot up the length of the cellar and the iron doors were rattling like hell. Several minutes latter the all clear was sounded and we came out to one hell of a mess. The wall were I had left my greatcoat and haversack was under about 10 feet of rubble and at least 3 storeys were missing from the hotel. As I made my way up the main street the Chief of Police was pointing up in the air shouting “your comrades”. Who cared, all I wanted was to get out of Bayreuth, which eventually I did. I met some of the afternoon shift who showed me the way. That night we were on the move and marched back through Bayreuth which was in flames. I think by now we were going round in circles. Nurenburg had been taken and we were on our way back it seemed to the Russian Front

    Five days later we were in a small village called Winklarn and the Camp Kommandant who was quite a good chap really kept us in that village 3 days. On the third day we were paraded in the village square. The bells of the church were ringing and we were marched to the main road which was still only a country road. Being last in the column, I felt something extraordinary was happening and was tempted to fall back but a red haired guard made us close up to the rest. Looking back I saw a massive armoured column miles long coming along the same way and I said to Maurice “don’t look now but the whole German Army is retreating”. Far from it being the German Army it was General Patton's American Army. The day was April 23rd 1945 Five long years exactly since since I left Southampton.

    The Americans were Magnificent. “K” rations galore and cigarettes by the carton. Free at last! Events startd to move fast, we were driven to Nuremburg by lorry and met Marlene Dietrich serving coffee on Nuremburg airfield. I was given an autographed photo of her after having finished her duty of dishing out coffee to the American Forces. Oh how hard it is to break the habit of queueing and coming round again for “buckshees”! Goodbye Marlene as we boarded the plane to land again at Frankfurt The next morning we took off to land at Rheims and in great style commanded the German POWs to polish our boots, a tailor to alter our uniform to fit, our hairdresser and an artist to draw us. This is how the Army should be!

    But alas we had to move on and Lancaster bombers were used to ship us out of Rheims. The crew of the Lancaster bomber allowed us one at a time to see the approaching white cliffs of England. We were home and landed at wing near Berkhamstead and guess who was there to meet us -The Salvation Army. It was the 1st May 1945 and on each bed a telegram saying something like “Arrived in England will be home shortly,” all you had to do was sign it

    Going through the formalities of being kitted out in British Uniform took two days and on 3rd May I boarded a train at King Cross and into the welcome arms of my mother, father and sisters Doreen and Moria at Middlesbrough Station.

    After several weeks leave I reported back to the Army and started training all over again at Otley. After 3 weeks or so we had an interview and I asked to go back to my old regiment and was drafted to Blackpool Squires Gate, next on to North Wales, Treadder Bay and Beaumaris, from there I was demobbed at York.

    Lynn Carter

    Pvt. Richard A. Perlich 335 Infantry, Company K 84th Division

    My father writes: (March 31, 1993)

    "Dear David Schenck,

    I was surprised at how much information you had about me. I was captured near Rochefort on Christmas morning with Pvts. Summit and Hartsell (a sgt?, and Lt Stumberg from our Company K, 335th Regt. And at least two others from another company that we connected up with as we got out of Rochefort (under fire) and attempted to get to Marche to rejoin our Company K.

    The Lt. and I were wounded and so was one of the other guys from the other company, so we didn't get too far and when it got dark we broke into a roadhouse to get some sleep. The Germans captured us early Christmas morning.

    I can't remember the dates but the best I can recollect is that I was in Limburger for about a week or ten days in early January. Now, after an "exhausting" search of my "files" I have found a letter written November 17th, 1945, which says that I (we) left XIIA on January 22nd, 1945, on a four day boxcar ride to Stalag IIA, New Brandenburg , where I was held until approximately March 9, 1945 when we were taken on a march that lasted until April 13, 1945.

    We were liberated near Magdeberg, Germany by US Army troops. (The Old Hickory Division...don't remember the number). At that time we were sent by truck to Hildesheim, Germany, for delousing and then flown to Camp Lucky Strike where I was hospitalized for infections and malnutrition. Aprils 18, 1945 to May 10, 1945 in the 77th Field Hospital and 306th General Hospital. I was sent to the States as a wounded POW on May 20th, so it looks as though we just missed each other, both at Gerolstein and Limburger, and I'm sorry I don't remember Harris, Baker, and Althaus whom you mentioned in your letter.

    Sincerely, Richard A. Perlich 17144050

    P.S. Battle Of The Bulge Then And Now- pg. 364, bottom of page. I'd swear that's a picture of the street on which I was hit."

    Greta Perlich Cooper

    Sgt. John Walter Tarbitten Army Air Corps

    Jack Tarbitten was captured at Arnhem and transferred to Stalag XII-A where he was held from the 2nd of October to the 28th of November 1944. Then he was transferred to Stalag IV-B arriving on the 2nd of December 1944, until he left on 4th of May 1945 after the German guards left and before the Russians arrived.

    Peter Tarbitten

    PFC. Cleo Reynolds Coy A. 398th Infantry Regiment

    My father, Cleo Reynolds, was captured with others of the 398th, Infantry Regiment, Company A, during an Allied incursion into Wingen-sur-Moder in France, in December, 1944.

    He was first sent to Stalag XIIA, then transferred on to IVB. I still have a letter, dated 13th of January 1945, that he wrote to his mother from the camp. In it, he says he hopes that she and his brothers had a good Christmas; he goes on, "You know about what kind of one I had, so there is nothing I can tell you." The letter has markings indicating it was reviewed by German censors before being sent. It bears the camp name (IVB) and his prisoner number, which appears to be (it's quite faded now) 311549. He remained in Stalag IVB until the camp was liberated in May 1945.

    Janis Reynolds

    Ernest V. Hansen 109th Infantry Rgt

    My father Ernest Hansen served with 28th Inf. Div. 109th Infantry Rgt andwas captured at the Battle of the Bulge on or about 15/16 December, and spent time in Stalag 12A, Stalag 2A, Stalag 11A and possibly one near Bitburg, Germany. If anyone can help I would be pleased to hear from them.

    Darrell E Hansen

    Cloyd "Doc" Brown 142nd Infantry Regiment

    This is the full story that went with this photo from my grandfather:

    "I went through bits and pieces of this 50+ year old story. I went through the Italian campaigns - Sicily, Naples, Santa Maria, Anzio Beach, Rapido River, Salerno, Rome, Florence. Then invasion so to France, Frajtes Beach, I was captured on the 30th of August1944 at 3:30 am, in the Rhone Valley outside Valeure, France.

    I was a machine gunner (30 caliber water cooled) CO. M. 142 INF 36th Division. Held in France six weeks; put in box car to Stalag 12A Limburg, Germany. Wound up in the prison hospital five days later with pneumonia. After I was released I was again loaded onto boxcar “40 ton car.” Locked in for 14 days. Wound up in Neubrandenburg Germany, Stalag IIA on the Baltic Sea. There I stayed till liberated by Russians in April ’45. I escaped once, Ray Vanarsdale, Frenchie Thibadeaux and myself. Were caught 20 days later. Put in city jail til German guards came and got us. We evaded the guards when this young German soldier took us up through the compound. (Lucky).

    The picture of Ray, Frenchie, Henry Morris, Rohland Stager and myself and the horse and buggy we stole five days after the Russians left. We stole a camera, too to take pictures and map. We travelled 11 days hiding out in barns, etc. We ran into the 82nd Airborne Headquarters on the 11th day. They deloused us, burnt our clothes and gave us uniforms and we were on an Army plane within 50 minutes. Taken to Le Havre, France Army Hospital."

    Shari Lewis

    Roger Steele

    My father was a POW at Stalag 12a. If anyone has history about this camp, please contact me.

    Roger L. Steele

    S/Sgt. Forrest H. Monroe 64th, Coy C Infantry Replacement Training Center

    My father, Staff Sergeant Forrest H. Monroe, was in the US Army, Company C, 64th IRTC Battalion in WWII. He was a POW in Stalag 12A and Stalag 3C between October 1944 and February 1945. He passed away on 2nd October 2004. He had a wartime log with pictures that he drew of Stalag 3c and some comics, cartoons and poems. If anyone is interested, I will send them a copy. If anyone has information concerning him please contact me.

    Timothy J Monroe

    Lionel Albert Jack Tarr 3rd Btn Gunners

    My grandad Lionel Tarr passed away before I was able to get a description of Stalag 12A. He fought with the 3rd Btn Gunners at Arnhem.

    Lee Norman

    S/Sgt. John W. Jackson

    I am looking for information about POWs in Stalags 3c or 12a from 7th July 1944 to 31st January 1945. My father was interned in these camps during this time. He enlisted through Jefferson Barracks, MO (near St Louis) and lived in Quincy, IL after the war, until his death in 1993.

    John Jackson

    Ernest V. Hansen

    My father, Ernest V. Hansen of New Era, Michigan, was a POW in Stalag 12A. He was captured during the Battle of the Bulge on or about 15/16th December in Belgium.

    Darrell E Hansen

    Malcolm Cuthbertson 4th Btn Dorset Regiment

    I am looking for information about my father who was a POW at Stalag XIIA. I gather that he must have been captured during the 4th Dorset's crossing of the Rhine in September 1944. He was previously of the King's Regiment Liverpool, serving in the UK and Gibraltar. Anyone remember him?

    Sandra Hughes

    J. T. Orr 358th Rgt, 3rd Btn. 90th Inf. Div.

    J T Orr was with the 90th Infantry Division, 358th Rgt, 3rd Btn. He was shot and captured on 13th November 1944. He spent 138 days in a German hospital at Bad Kreuznach. He was later sent to Stalag 12A.

    Saran Renard


    My father in law was a POW in WWII. He started in Stalag 12A, then transferred to Stalag 9B and then the death march to Bad Kreuznach, Germany. He was liberated on 18th March. Fifty US POWs were there.

    Kathy B Schuman

    Emmett Frances Williams 35th Infantry Div. 137th Regiment

    My father, Emmett Frances Williams served in the 137th Regiment, 35th Infantry Division of the US Army. He was captured at the Foret de Gremecey and became a POW at Stalag 12a and his number was 92445.

    Alan Williams

    Wilfred Lawrence Chorley

    My father was captured in 1944. The POW camps he was in were: Stalag XIIA (Limberg), Stalag VIIIA (Zgorzelec, Poland), finaly Stalag VIIIC (Sagan, Poland).

    Tim Carroll

    My Dad was also a POW and I found out this weekend that he was in Stalag 4B and Stalag 12A. My understanding is that he was liberated by the Russians in May 1945. Like many, he had little to say on the subject. He passed away in 1989.

    Tim Carroll

    Pte. Alfred Frederick Rollason 3rd Parachute Brigade Army Air Corps

    POW notification

    Confirmation letter Stalag 1VD

    Alfred F Rollason, my father, enlisted with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment on 19th Feb 1942 which was converted to 8th (Midlands) Parachute Battalion. He trained as a paratrooper and earned his wings in January 1943. He was assigned to the HQ Defence Platoon of 3rd Parachute Brigade prior to D-Day, it is not certain whether he dropped in France by parachute or glider. His role was that of a 'runner' and his platoon were responsible for defending the Brigade HQ at Le Mesnil crossroads near Ranville in Normandy. It is unknown whether he was dropped in the correct zone and/or whether he actually made it to the HQ area, he was taken Prisoner of War on D-Day 6th June 1944.

    By 30th Jul 1944 it was confirmed that he had arrived at Stalag X11A Limberg a 'transit' camp where new POW's were processed prior to being transferred to other camps. He left Limberg on the 25th Aug 1944 and was transferred to Stalag 1VD Torgau where he arrived on 13th Sept 1944. Torgau was an 'administratiion camp' that organised prisoners to be sent out to surrounding Arbeits Kommandos (Work Camps) to be used as forced labour. Alfred Rollason was sent to BE12 Bitterfeld where he was set to work in an open caste lignite (brown coal) mine Grube Golpa that fuelled a major power station.

    He was liberated by the US army on 14th April 1945 as they moved east, he was eventually repatriated on 13th May 1945, where after a period of extended leave was posted to Royal Artillery, Kinmel Camp, North Wales on 4th Sept 1945 where he reverted to his trade as a carpenter and trained as a driver subsequently being demobbed and transferring to the Army Reserve on 18th Jan 1947.

    Upon leaving the Torgau Prison Camp he collected a number of interesting literature souvenirs including a hand written camp magazine prepared by the prisoners, the Christmas pantomime programme, sample menus with listings of contents of the various red cross parcels and prison camp newspapers.

    Tony Rollason

    Cpl. Alfred Percy Wakeman Middlesex Regiment

    Percy Wakeman was my uncle and he was captured by the Wehrmacht after June 26th 1944 as I have a field service post card censored saying he is well only.

    I am in possession of his wartime issued bible which is stamped 4 Gepruft Stalag IV B. In this bible are paper snippets of messages from fellow American and British prisoners. These are the names and addresses of the the prisoners written in the blank pages of the bible.

    • Mr Anthony Palecki 3214 Tilton street Philadelphia 34 Pennsylvania USA
    • Wesley d Swibold 703 Valley Drive Syracuse New York USA
    • James f Ray RFD NO1 Box 946 Phenix City Alabama USA
    • Mr E Turner 17 Saxby street Lyme Road Brixton Hill S.W.2

    Although the following names are noted in the bible,Stalag X11 A is written at the top of this page so may have been his first camp which I believe was a Transit camp.

    • Mr Martin Lawrence 322 Main Street Binghampton New York USA also 499 Court Street Binghampton N.Y USA .
    • Mr R Cherry 13 The Crescent Bolton on Dern Nr. Rotherham Yorkshire.
    • Fred South 6 Baltic Terrace Wilton Park Nr Bishop Auckland County Durham.
    • Mr G. Barber 109 Elm Park Avenue Elm Park Romford Essex.

    I hope these names might help any of the above named prisoners relations information on finding out where the were held.

    Uncle Percy didn't say much about his experience at the camp but I remember him telling me he was captured in France and while on a transport train going back to Germany the train was attacked by allied aircraft and a lot of German soldiers were killed.He said he and the rest of the prisoners were ordered off the train and they thought they were all going to be shot. but he said that the soldiers were Wermacht and not SS which probably saved them.

    John Meedy

    Spr. Roger Collinson Royal Engineers

    February 1943


    21st Feb - 04.30hrs - Moved from Bivvy area to front line between Kasserine and Thala. I went with OC as batman, runner, fighter, clerk together with HQ personnel, Bill Ford, Clark, Armitage and Tubby Bastard. Section 1 and 2 set up mortar positions, dug in and prepared to support boys of Leicesters. Tanks still retreating from Kasserine towards Thala Road. Stuck in mud - dug slit trench. Dug hole for rations and comoflaged them. We prepared for night vigil. Reported Germans approaching. 1st army tanks still retreating in valley in front of us. 19.50hrs Tried to contact brigade Headquarters (HQ) over wireless - No Contact. HQ informed that German tanks approaching about 200 yards away. No action taken. German voices on hill beyond road firing over us. Germans speaking English "Come out boys". Took most of section 1 and 2 prisoners including Ernie, Dave, Bill, O.C. Bill , Jerry and I about 21.00hrs. Left all rations. Germans anxious to get Tommy gun and ammo. Most anxious moment when I was ordered to proceed to the road with hands up expecting a bullet, but Germans proved likeable men or at least soldiers. Congregated on the road and marched about 2 miles with other troops to a compound and stayed the night. Learned we had been captured by Rommel's Africa Korps in the battle of Kasserine Pass.

    Caught as POW on the 21st Feb 1943 in Tunisia

    17th March - Arrived at Campo Concentramento P.G. 66

    16th June - Travelling - Supposed to have travelled through Rome - Arrived at Campo Concentramento

    22nd Sept 1943- Arrives at Stalag 7a

    2, 3 & 4 Nov - Cold and damp Moved from Stalag VIIA (Moosburg)

    Arrived Stalag XVIIA - 3.11.43 Wilflingdorf (Kaisersteinbruck) 5th Nov - Paraded for identification received first POW Number 154111.

    David Mottershead

    Recomended Reading.

    Available at discounted prices.

    The Last Escape. The Untold Story of Allied Prisoners of War in Germany 1944-45

    John Nichol & Tony Rennell

    As WW2 drew to a close, hundreds of thousands of British and American prisoners of war, held in camps in Nazi-occupied Europe, faced the prospect that they would never get home alive. In the depths of winter, their guards harried them on marches outof their camps and away from the armies advancing into the heart of Hitler's defeated Germany. Hundreds died from exhaustion, disease and starvation. The Last Escape is told through the testimony of those heroic men, now in their seventies and eighties and telling their stories publicly for the first time. A very good account of a forgotten part of the Second World War; Allied POW's caught in the final months of the Third Reich. The author's of this book have provide the reader with a detailed and moving account of what happened to the many thousands of Allied POW's caught in the final struggle for Nazi Germany towards the end of WW2.


      The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.

      This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.

      If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.

      Hosted by:

      The Wartime Memories Project Website

      is archived for preservation by the British Library

      Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
      - All Rights Reserved