Add Information to Record of a Person who served during

The Second World War on the The Wartime Memories Project Website


Pvt. Robert Lester Anderson

United States Army 112th Infantry Battalion

from:Cedar River, MI

My uncle Bob was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and interred at Stalag 9B, Bad Orb, Hessen-Nassau, Prussia 50-09. He was reported as captured on 12/20/1944 and was liberated on 5/08/1945. He said starvation in the camp was their biggest problem. They lived on watered down potato soup. Occasionally he'd get assigned to work in the kitchen preparing meals for the German officers. They were actually officers from the old Austrian army and he thought they probably treated the prisoners better than German officers might have done.

Uncle Bob was Norwegian but had grown up with German neighbors in Cedar River, MI, located in the central Upper Peninsula of Michigan along the shore of Green Bay on Lake Michigan. He and his siblings learned to speak German in order to communicate with the neighbors. He often said his knowledge of German probably kept him alive in the camp.

One time he was working in the kitchen helping to prepare a fancy meal for some visiting German officers. One of the other prisoners stole a chicken from the array of food they were preparing. The guard noticed a chicken was missing and demanded that the thief step forward. No one moved. The guard lined them all up outside the building and threatened to shoot them all unless the thief stepped forward. Uncle Bob said he was sure he was going to die. Then, the thief slowly moved forward and confessed. He was shot and killed right there. The rest were ordered to their barracks. Already weak from hunger and having had to cook all that food while tasting none of it, he said he dragged himself back to the barracks hoping he didn't fall or stumble on the way and attract the attention of the already disgruntled guard.

When they were liberated, Uncle Bob said they were fed coffee and doughnuts by a Red Cross crew that had set up a tent outside the camp. They had not tasted anything so good since long before they'd been captured. Some of the men ate several doughnuts and a few later died because their stomachs could not hold that much food after so many months of barely eating. He would shake his head as he told this story... and say, "After surviving all that, they were killed by a careless act of kindness." Uncle Bob had pneumonia when they were liberated. A few days later, one of his lungs collapsed. He recovered and lived a full life but always was somewhat limited in physical capacity because of only having one lung.

This form is also to be used if you are replying to a message regarding the above person, received via our messaging system, your message given below will be forwarded to the person who sent the message along with a link to reply. Your email address will remain private, if you wish to give your contact details, please include them in the message box, they will not be added to our website.

Please type your message:     

We recommend you copy the text about this item and keep a copy on your own computer before pressing submit.

**This is a new feature. Please Note: User registration currently only occurs when making a submission to the Home Front Archive or when using this page. If you have only made a submission to our persons database, you will not yet have a registration, please choose a username and password below and keep a note so that you will be able to login in future.**

Are you already a registered user? If this is your first addition to a record, please select No & choose a username & password
Your Name:            
Username:                if this is your first addition to a record please choose a username
Password:                if this is your first addition to a record please choose a password
Confirm Password:
Email Address:       @
Please type in the code shown here: CAPTCHA Image   

If you are unable to read the code please click here.

If you have received an error message for incorrect code, please click to refresh the code before resending. This should overcome the error message.

Additions will be checked before being published on the website and where possible will be forwarded to the person who submitted the original entry.