If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Add Stories & Photos
Airfields of WW2
Royal Air Force
Prisoners of War
Secrets of WWII
Ships of WWII
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
How to add Memories
Add Your Memories
TWMP on Facebook
Can you Answer?
Your Family History
The Tower Hamlets Rifles
The Tower Hamlets Rifles were raised in 1860
Battalions during the Second World War.
The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.
- To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
- Looking for help with Family History Research? Please read our Family History FAQ's
- The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Research your own Family History.
Aug 2015 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 223240, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them.
The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes.World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
List of those who served with The Tower Hamlets Rifles during The Second World War
Select a story link or scoll down to browse those stories hosted on this website
- Capt. Herbert P. Hollander Read their Story.
Capt. Herbert P. Hollander Tower Hamlets RiflesI don't know much about my Great-Uncle Herbert Hollander and am looking for information on him or his family. He served in the Tower Hamlet Rifles, that's about all I know.Tracey
My father, Cpl Dennis DeBell, served in the Tower Hamlets Rifle Brigade and was a POW from 1941-43 in Campo 78 Sulmona. He escaped twice and made it back to the UK in 43. Unfortunately he passed away in 1986 at the age of 68 before writing up his memoirs on his experiences during his confinement. I am keen to contact anyone who might have known him, or have any details etc. of the camp as I am considering writing up a diary/account of his experiences as told to me by him, plus any other details that might help me complete a picture of what actually happened. I am keen to get hold of plans, pictures etc of the camp. Can anyone assist me as this would be a great tribute to my late father. Please email Wendy Parker if you can help.
Can you help us to add to our records?
The names and stories on this website have been submitted by their relatives and friends. If your relations are not listed please add their names so that others can read about them
Did you or your relatives live through the Second World War? Do you have any photos, newspaper clippings, postcards or letters from that period? Have you researched the names on your local or war memorial? Were you or your relative evacuated? Did an air raid affect your area?
If so please let us know.
Help us to build a database of information on those who served both at home and abroad so that future generations may learn of their sacrifice.
Celebrate your own Family History
Celebrate by honouring members of your family who served in the Secomd World War both in the forces and at home. We love to hear about the soldiers, but also remember the many who served in support roles, nurses, doctors, land army, muntions workers etc.
Please use our Family History resources to find out more about your relatives. Then please send in a short article, with a photo if possible, so that they can be remembered on these pages.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXV
- All Rights Reserved