You are not logged in.
2nd Bomb Group, USAAF in the Second World War 1939-1945 - The Wartime Memories Project -

The Wartime Memories Project

- 2nd Bomb Group, USAAF during the Second World War -

Air Force Index
skip to content

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you agree to accept cookies.

If you enjoy this site

please consider making a donation.

    Site Home

    WW2 Home

    Add Stories

    WW2 Search

 WW2 Features


    Allied Army

    Allied Air Forces

    Allied Navy

    Axis Forces

    Home Front

    Prisoners of War

    Allied Ships

    Women at War

    Those Who Served



    The Great War


    Add Stories

    Time Capsule

    TWMP on Facebook

    Childrens Bookshop


    Your Family History


    Contact us




World War 2 Two II WW2 WWII

2nd Bomb Group, USAAF

 Control Tower


If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.

Those known to have served with

2nd Bomb Group, USAAF

during the Second World War 1939-1945.

  • Anderson. Ralph W. . S/Sgt.
  • Berry. Jack P. .
  • Brown Robert. Lt. (d.30th November 1943)
  • Chiofilo Philip L.. S/Sgt. (d.3rd Oct 1944)
  • Davidson. Kenneth C. .
  • Dettinger Raymond Andrew.
  • Douglas. Robert W. .
  • Egar. William J. .
  • Fieg. Walter E. .
  • Glass Frank H.. Lt.
  • Hermance. Alan E..
  • Jackson. Herbert W. .
  • Knowles William L. .
  • Lockman. Frank C. . S/Sgt.
  • Lutska. . S/Sgt.
  • McVey Charles Howard. 1st Lt.
  • Meness. Ralph W. .
  • Moberly Edmund La Mar.
  • Paulick John.
  • Powell . Tech Sgt.
  • Quarles. Loyd C. . S/Sgt.
  • Ransom Matt.
  • Ritchie. Neil . Lt.
  • Romig Lawrence Earl. Sgt.
  • Sherer. Ramon F. .
  • Sloop. . S/Sgt.
  • Smith. Melvin C. .
  • Solomon Sidney. Lt.
  • Thompson. Harry J..
  • Unknown Bill. Sgt.
  • Winget Francis E. .

The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List

The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.


  • To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
  • Looking for help with Family History Research?   Please read our Family History FAQ's
  • The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.
    If you enjoy this site

    please consider making a donation.

  • We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.

Research your own Family History.

Aug 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 234727, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.


We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.

We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.

If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.

Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.

If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes. Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.

Lt. Sidney Solomon navigator 452nd Bomb Group

Lt. Solomon and Tech Sgt. Powell were the only suvivors of a terrible accident near Cambridge, UK in Oct. 1944. My friend Matt Ransom was the tail gunner on this flight and was one of the crew that lost his life. At the time of the accident Lt. Solomon was based at Deopham Green, near Cambridge, England. The last report that we had on Lt. Solomon was that he was living in Penbroke Pines, FL and we are trying to get more information on the accident. We know that he attended the 452nd reunion in Charleseton, SC some years ago and I would believe that someone from that reunion could shed some light on the whereabouts of Sidney Solomon the Navigator of that flight. Tech. Sgt. Powell is deceased. We also tried to find a book that he wrote, however, it is out of print.

John Younger

Edmund La Mar Moberly 12th Bomb Group 83 Bomb Squadron

I am researching my uncle, Edmund La Mar Moberly who was a bombardier in the 12th Bomb Group with the 83rd Bomb Squadron in North Africa in 1944. His plane went missing whilst on a bombing run to Sicily and was never heard from again. I was wondering if anyone would have any information regarding his service or disappearance or any information about the group and squadron during those years.

La Mar Moverly

Sgt. Lawrence Earl Romig 92nd BG 407 squadron 407th Bomb Sqd.

Lawrence E. Romig was waist gunner on a B-17 that was shot down somewhere over Holland on 2-24-1944. He and the other crew members were captured and sent to Stalag #4 POW Camp. I beleive the prisoners were later moved to Stalag 11b pow camp. I beleive the POW's were liberated sometime in July 1945.

Charles Ziriax

Raymond Andrew Dettinger 407th Bomb Squadron

My father, Raymond Dettinger flew with the 8th American Air Force, 92nd Bomb Group, 407 Heavy Bomb Squadron.

Ray Dettinger

S/Sgt. Lutska.

Served as a Gunner Instructor

John Paulick 327th Bomb Sqd.

I believe this might be a photo from Bovingdon 1942/43 when my father

My father John Paulick was a radio operator of Lt. Neil Ritchie's B-17 crew of 92nd Bomb Group, 327th Bomb Squadron stationed at Bovingdon Aug to Dec 1942.In early 1943 he joined the newly formed 1/11 CCRC (Combat Crew Replacement Center) at Bovingdon as a radio instructor.

I believe this might be a photo from Bovingdon 1942/43 when my father was stationed there. Any leads will be most appreciated.

A history of the CCRC is available on microfilm.

Microfilm # B0797 (Unclassified) the history of 1st Combat Crew Replacement Center Group (covering the period Aug 42 - Nov 44) Bovingdon

Available from:

Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) Maxwell AFB, Alabama

HQ AFHRA/RSA (microfilm order)

600 Chennault Circle

Maxwell AFB AL 36112-6424

It contains very useful information for any person who is interested in first hand accounts. Teh following is a transcription from that microfilm.

Relationship of 92nd group to Combat Crew Replacement and Training Center

To tell accurately the story of the Combat Crew Replacement and Training Center reference must be made here, at the beginning, to the 92nd Heavy Bomb Group from which came most of the personnel for the school. This unit arrived in England during August of 1942, being the third American Heavy Bomb Group to be assigned to the European Theater of Operations. As a result of its flight to England the 92nd Bomb Group became the first complete organization to fly the non-stop, transoceanic route from Gander, Newfoundland to Prestwick, Scotland. The flight was made without loss and had a great deal to do with the general acceptance of this route for heavy bomber travel. The organization was led on this flight by Colonel James A. Sutton, Commanding Officer of the Group, and it was his brilliant leadership which was undoubtedly responsible for the successful completion of this mission. The unit was personally congratulated by General H. H. Arnold for this flight.

War Department

Headquarters of the Army Air Force


31 August 1942

Subject: Commendation

To: Colonel James A. Sutton

Commanding Officer

92nd Bomb Group (H)

Through Commanding General

U.S. Army Forces in the British Isles

1. I have just received the report that all airplanes of the 92nd Bomb Group have successfully completed their movement to England today.

2. I wish to commend you and all of the officers and men of the 92nd Bomb Group for your remarkable demonstration and accomplishment.

3. The safe execution of such a lengthy and hazardous crossing over a route previously unflown by any of the personnel of your group is indeed meritorious. The effort, hard work, and thought put forth by everyone of the 92nd Bomb Group in accomplishing this mission are indeed appreciated. I heartily congratulate you and your men.





The aircraft flown to this theatre by the group were B-17Fs, the first of this type to be brought to this country. The B-17E was then being used by the 97th Bombardment Group. The 92nd had worked hard on these ships, fitting them for the long flight and for the combat they were to eventually face. Many original modifications were made, several of which later appeared as standard equipment on the B-17G. Two changes of particular importance were: nose gun to fire directly forward (this later modified itself into the present "chin" turret), and radio guns fed from flexible bolts of 25 or 50 round ammunition cans.

The 92nd Bomb Group came to this country at the completion of its training in the United States expecting one thing: OPERATIONS-the chance to take on the enemy in the skies over Europe and to fight it out with him. It was with this single purpose in mind that the Group carried on its day to day existence; but upon arrival at this station, the unit was immediately ordered to exchange its new ships for the battle damaged ones of the gallant 97th Group. The personnel were then told by Lt. General Ira C. Eaker (then Major General), who was at that time Commanding general of the 8th Air Force, that they were to staff a training center for heavy bombardment crews. The loss of their planes was by the group taken more or less in stride, and repair and modification work began at once on the "beat up Es" inherited from the 97th. The men could see the obvious logic behind the exchange of planes, though of course they were not exactly happy about the idea; but to be taken out of the big fight without even hearing the sound of the bell was nearly a mortal blow to the morale of the organization.

"Why the 92nd Group?" Was The question in everyone's mind. The comments ran something like this: "We are not trained for this job!" "We don't know anything about combat yet!" "Why had we not been told before?" And even "What did we do wrong to draw this detail?" Some of the reasons "Why the 92nd?" later revealed themselves, but not all of them.

The airdrome to which the Group was assigned is located at Bovingdon, Hertfordshire and was designated as AAF Station 112. The field, which had been designed by RAF engineers as an operational base, was partially completed. With discontent everywhere the men of the group went about this work of completing the field, setting up equipment for maintenance, organizing the system of supply, and generally solving the 'mud' problem. In their leisure time the discontented men fortunately had something very big to occupy their minds: a new country and a new people. There were things to find out: "How far was it to London?""What was a 'pub'?""Where was the nearest'cinema?""Just what were the English people like?" "Did the sun ever shine?" "How much did a bike cost?" "How much was that in real money?" "Can I get up to .... and back on a forty-eight hour pass?" "I've got relatives up there that I have never seen". And so the queries ran. But despite the fascination of the new country, and the amount of hard work that was necessary to get the field going, the big thought in mind was still "Why the 92nd?" with its brother thought "What can we do to make them change their minds?" Colonel Sutton pledged himself to work unceasingly to have the organization reinstated for combat.

Permission was granted in September for the 92nd to take part in several combat missions in the interest of gathering necessary battle information to be taught in the school. Targets attacked by the Group were:


4 September 1942 Meault, France 1

26 September 1942 Cherbourg, France 0 (diversion-airdrome)


2 October 1942 Meault, France 0

9 October 1942 Lille, France 1

21 October 1942 Cherbourg, France 0 (diversion-airdrome)

Other groups flying on these raids included the 97th, 91st, and 301st bombardment Groups.

These five missions flown by the 92nd plus others being made at that time in which the 92nd did not participate were, however, bringing home to the group with great force, the seriousness of daylight high-altitude bombing. The missions also revealed dangerous weaknesses in the Group's combat technique. For example: they found their formations looked good to the eye of a camera, but did not permit maximum firepower for self defense. The aiming technique of the gunners was alright according to existing classroom ideas, but the enemy planes were not being hit. Navigation, because of radio aids and different weather conditions was full of new problems. The bombing technique proved itself to have an outstanding weakness, the pilots, through no fault of their own, found it nearly impossible to hold the plane level and true in the midst of fighter attacks and bursting flak. The bombardiers, bombing from an unstable platform, were not able to hit targets with true accuracy. These combat weaknesses and many others showed themselves on those first missions, proving to the group the necessity for futher training, training to cover the gap between the generalization of the OUT schooling in the U.S and combat in the European Theatre of Operations. It was this advanced, fine-grain training that had been anticipated by General Eaker, and the assignment to set up the school for carrying out this training had been given to the 92nd Group. The assignment did not just concern itself with the training of the 92nd personnel, but rather with all combat crew replacements for the entire 8th Air Force.

It was a big assignment, worthy of the best efforts of a fine organization. The need for the school was then apparent to all, still the Group balked at the idea. The Combat anticipating hearts and minds of these men could not be reconciled to the monotonous duties of school teaching no matter what accompanying circumstances existed. It was decided, therefore, after much discussion within the organization and between representatives of the Group and General Eaker, that the Unit would be divided in two. Those interested in the school and necessary to the school would be assigned to it; those interested in combat and indispensable to the Group's operation as such a unit would be assigned to the Group. [Unsigned and No date shown]

This was transcribed from microfilm # B0797 (Unclassified) the history of 1st Combat Crew Replacement Center Group (covering Aug 42 - Nov 44) Bovingdon

Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) -Maxwell AFB, Alabama HQ AFHRA/RSA (microfilm order) 600 Chennault Circle Maxwell AFB AL 36112-6424

Portions of the microfilm are difficult to read.

Mike Paulick

S/Sgt. Sloop.

Served as a Gunner Instructor

Sgt. Bill Unknown 326th Squadron 92nd Bomber Group

My story is identical to many who have lived a life of not knowing their father as a result of the effects of war. Many would have been in this situation due to the loss of their father in combat. They would have been told the facts surrounding his loss. Killed in action, Missing in Combat, Prisoner of War. Others may know that their existence was due to a period of time when it was important to grab a moment of happiness when they could.

One day, at junior school, my teacher asked the class to say what their mother and father did at work. I knew my mother worked in an office but I did not have a father. I asked my mother and she told me that he was killed in the war. At that time in London children played in streets where bomb sites were normal. We knew about the war so there was no reason to ask further questions. My mother found a partner when I was 9 years old and after several years he became my step-father. My name was changed by deed poll when I moved to Secondary school.

At various times in my childhood and early teenage years I had occasions to question my fathers demise. My Grand-mother (my mothers mother) once told me that my mother had the opportunity to move to America but had decided not to. I remembered being carried on the shoulders of soldier in Trafalgar Square with my mother. At this time I had been given a toy car which I now realise was an american model convertible. It was fantastic, with a steering wheel that worked and individual suspension. In my early teens I became interested in who my Father was. My Mother would not tell me of any detail other then he was killed in a battle at Caen, France. My Grandmother told me that he was an American who my mother had met whilst working as a bus conductress in Bushy. My grandmother asked me not to discuss this any further and especially not with my mother as she had been warned not to tell me the truth. I had already been threatened by my step father with being put in a children’s home if I was disobedient so decided to give up the questioning.

In 1998 my step-father died leaving my widowed mother living on her own and subsequently relying on me as the only child with few other relatives. To my surprise, one day she produced a photograph of a British army soldier and informed me that this was my father. She gave me the details of his regiment and service number and I was able to confirm he was killed in action in Caen following the D Day invasion. I decided to tell her that her mother had told me that my father was an American serviceman. My grandmother had died many years before. She looked shocked and then denied that the story was true. There was little point in pursuing the subject and nothing more was said.

Following my mothers death I dealt with the disposal of her belongings and was surprised to find a photograph of an American Airforce Sergeant signed on the reverse, Love from Bill, 13033949, 92nd Bomber Group, 326th Squadron USAAF 11th November 1942. My wife, on viewing the photo, said, 'you have his eyes and smile. That's your father'. My only other relative, a cousin, when told of my discovery, said, 'We were told that your father was an American'

I carried out a search on the internet and confirmed that the bomber squadron were on active service from Bovingdon Airfield during the relevant time My birth date also coincided with the possibility that Bill was my father. I discovered that there was a veterans association for the 92nd Bomber Group in the USA. I made contact and was informed that without a surname and the State in which Bill had been recruited it would not be possible to identify him. According to the archivist for the Vets Association each State in America issued the service number. Therefore it could not be used in isolation as a means of identification. I had to accept this as a fact and gave up on the quest.

I reasoned that such time had passed that it was probable that Bill was dead. I had to assume there was a surviving family in the USA and that they would be unaware of my mothers brief encounter during the war. Let sleeping dogs lie…..

Tony Dockerill

Lt. Frank H. Glass 49th Sqdn. 2nd Bomb Group

On January 27, 1944, Pilot Lt. Frank H. Glass and I flew in a B-17 stationed in Foggia, Italy - l5th Airforce, 2nd Bomb Group, 49th Squadron, mission 134. We were both POWs.

Larry Carastro

Lt. Robert Brown 486 Fighter Sd. 352 Fighter Group (d.30th November 1943)

On 30th November 1943 Lt.Robert Brown crashed with his P47 in my village Oirschot, near Eindhoven in the south of the Netherlands. His body was excavated with his plane in 1946 and brought over to Strasbourg(FR)(I am not sure of this). Who knows more about Lt. Robert Brown from 352 FG, 486 FS from Bodney, serial nr 42-8411, army service nr:0666860?

Rene Poierrie

S/Sgt. Philip L. Chiofilo 327th Bomb Squadron 92nd Bomb Group (d.3rd Oct 1944)

S/Sgt. Philip L. Chiofilo was a ball turret gunner with the 92nd Bomb Group, 327th Bomb Squadron. He lost his life over Germany on 3rd October 1944 when his aircraft was involved in a mid-air collision after the target had been successfully destroyed.

Robert France

1st Lt. Charles Howard "Chuck" McVey 20th Bomber Squadron 2nd Bombardment Group

My father Charles H. McVey, Sr., was a navigator in a B-17 shot down on the way to the Ploesti Oil Fields (Romania) on 29th of August 1944 on 20th Bomber Squadron, Mission No. 263. It was my father's 25th mission. He was flying in 'tail end Charlie', the very last B-17 in a large formation. He was flying as a substitute navigator that day with a crew whose navigator was sick. His was among many planes shot down that day*. Once the plane was hit by fire from Fockwulf 109 German fighters, the pilot gave the order to bail out; the normal doors were jammed, most tried to then get out the bomb bay door, but it would not open either. My father remembered that most of the plexiglas navigator bubble on the nose of the B-17 had been shot off so he made his way back there, bailed out, blacked out; when he came to, he saw his plane falling with no one else bailing out.

His chute was caught a bit in a tree and he had to cut himself down. The next couple of days/nights he did E & E (escape and evasion), eating what he could from farmers' plots; the 2nd or 3rd night, he encountered a British flyer who had also been shot down and they teamed up. Within a day a Czech patrol, ostensibly working for the occupying Germans, took my father and the Brit and added them to a group of 7 other Allied flyers they had 'captured'. They assured the Allied flyers that they would help them reach Allied lines. On that or a subsequent evening, the Czechs took the 9 Allies to a tavern to eat; a German patrol suddenly came in saying they wanted the 9 Allies. The Czechs turned over the 8 in the tavern; when the German commander asked about the 9th one, he was not there (he had gone outside just before this to the outhouse; the Germans didn't bother to look there - I understand that he made it back to Allied territory).

*About the raid during which my father was shot down: in the 1990s, a young Czech studying in the US, called my parents' home in Chattanooga TN and wanted to speak to someone in the family of Charles McVey. My dad said that he was Charles McVey. The young Czech was incredulous as his father, Jan Chovanick had been a young boy out in the fields working that August day of 1944 and had witnessed the many US B-17s that were shot down over his area. The day was then known in that area of Czechoslovakia as the "Day of the Falling Birds". The inhabitants of that area found the list of airmen in the wreckage of the plane that my dad had been flying in; they took a propeller blade and inscribed the names of the 11 airmen, all thought to have died in the crash, on the blade and mounted it atop a stone pillar (I have seen a picture of it that Jan Chovanic's son later sent my father). That is why the young Czech was so surprised that my father was living.

Once captured, my father and many other POWs were taken first to Vienna for interrogation, then on to Frankfurt (am Main); after that, he was sent on with others to Stalag Luft 1 in Barth on the Baltic seacoast.

Dad said that they were treated fairly well and ate as well as their German guards. They even got their care packages with most of the contents still in them. Since all of the POWs were flying officers and almost all of the Germans were non-coms, the guards saluted the Allied officers and treated them with military respect of rank. Dad said that only two men were shot by the Germans, both during nearby fighting or air raids - the Germans had told them on pain of death not to come out of the barracks at all when the alarm sirens were sounding. On one such occasion two men stuck their heads out and were immediately shot dead.

Dad said that one morning (May 1945) they got up, and all the Germans were gone; within a day the Russian troops arrived. Dad said there was much partying and then the Russians put the Allies on trains and sent them back to the American/British lines. From there he was brought back to the States.

During the late 1940s Dad wrote out on long yellow legal pads a lot of his recollections of that experience. Unfortunately, we have not been able to find those among his things (Dad died in August, 2003, age 85). My niece did have my dad come to a show and tell day and I have a VHS tape of his interview with the students. Also, in 2014, Jim L. Noles Sr. & Jr. published a book about that particular bombing raid (mission 263) and stories of many of the flyers involved on that raid in August, 1944, Mighty by Sacrifice: The Destruction of an American Bomber Squadron, August 29, 1944

I will add more should we ever find that yellow legal pad with my dad's memories written in it. I would love to hear more from anyone with information about that day and the living in Stalag Luft 1 at Barth.

Charles H. McVey, Jr.

Recomended Reading.

Available at discounted prices.

Mighty by Sacrifice: The Destruction of an American Bomber Squadron, August 29, 1944

Jim L. Noles Sr. & Jr.

On August 29, 1944, the 15th U.S. Army Air Force unleashed 500 bombers against oil and rail targets throughout central Europe. It dispatched the 20th Squadron of the 2nd Bombardment Group on what they regarded as an easy assignment: attack the Privoser Oil Refinery and associated railroad yards at Moravska Ostrava, Czechoslovakia. This "milk run" deteriorated into the bloodiest day in the 2nd Bombardment Group's history: not a single one of the 20th Squadron's B-17 Flying Fortress bombers returned from the mission. Forty airmen were killed, another 46 spent the rest of the war as POWs, and only four, with the aid of the OSS and anti-German partisans, and sympathetic Czech civilians managed to evade capture. The ninety airmen on the mission to Moravska Ostrava provide a remarkable personal window into the Allies' Combined Bomber Offensive at its height during WWII. In a microcosm, their stories encapsulate how the U.S. Army Air Forces built, trained, and employed one of the mightiest


    Suggest a link

    The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.

    This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.

    If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.

    Hosted by:

    The Wartime Memories Project Website

    is archived for preservation by the British Library

    Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
    - All Rights Reserved