If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Add Stories & Photos
Airfields of WW2
Royal Air Force
Prisoners of War
Secrets of WWII
Ships of WWII
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
How to add Memories
Add Your Memories
TWMP on Facebook
Can you Answer?
Your Family History
World War 2 Two II WW2 WWII
No. 54 Squadron
No. 54 Squadron was formed in 1916, and disbanded in 1919. It was reformed in 1930 as a fighter squadron (flying Siskins, Bulldogs, Gauntlets and Gladiators) receiving Spirfires in 1939.
No. 54 patrolled the Kent coast, until, in May-June 1940, the unit provided air cover for the evacuation of Dunkirk. Following this, the Squadron was heavily engaged in the Battle of Britain until moving north in November 1940 to regroup prior to undertaking coastal patrols. In mid-1942, the Squadron left for Australia, joining No. 1 Wing of the RAAF, a Spitfire unit responsible for air defence against Japanese aircraft in the Darwin area. No. 54 was disbanded in Melbourne in October 1945.
Airfields No. 54 Squadron flew from.
- RAF Hornchurch, Essex from 3rd September 1939
- RAF Rochford, Essex from 28th October 1939
- RAF Hornchurch from 3rd November 1939
- RAF Rochford from 17th November 1939
- RAF Hornchurch from 2nd December 1939
- RAF Rochford from 16th December 1939
- RAF Hornchurch from 29th December 1939
- RAF Rochford from 16th January 1940
- RAF Hornchurch from 14th February 1940
- RAF Rochford from 23rd March 1940
- RAF Catterick, Yorkshire from 28th April 1940
- RAF Hornchurch from 4th May 1940
- RAF Rochford from 25th June 1940
- RAF Hornchurch from 24th July 1940
- RAF Catterick from 28th July 1940
- RAF Hornchurch from 8th August 1940
- RAF Catterick from 3rd September 1940
- RAF Hornchurch from 23rd February 1941
- RAF Rochford from 31st March 1941
- RAF Hornchurch from 20th May 1941
- NRF Debden, Essex from 11th June 1941
- RAF Hornchurch from 13th June 1941
- RAF Martlesham Heath, Suffolk from 4th August 1941
- RAF Hornchurch from 25th August 1941
- RAF Castletown, Caithness from 17th November 1941
- RAF Willingore, Lincolnshire from 2nd June 1942 to 19th June 1942
- RAAF Ascot Vale, Melbourne, Victoria from 13th August 1942
- RAAF Richmond, Syndney, NSW from 24th August 1942
- RAAF Sydney from 13th January 1943
- RAAF Parap, Darwin, NT from 25th January 1943
- RAAF Potshot, Exmouth Gulf Western Australia from 9th May 1944
- RAF Livingstone, NT from 19th May 1944
- RAAF Parap from 23rd October 1945
- RAAF Melbourne from 30 October 1945
List of those who served with No. 54 Squadron during The Second World War
Can you help us to add to our records?
The names and stories on this website have been submitted by their relatives and friends. If your relations are not listed please add their names so that others can read about them
Did you or your relatives live through the Second World War? Do you have any photos, newspaper clippings, postcards or letters from that period? Have you researched the names on your local or war memorial? Were you or your relative evacuated? Did an air raid affect your area?
If so please let us know.
Help us to build a database of information on those who served both at home and abroad so that future generations may learn of their sacrifice.
Celebrate your own Family History
Celebrate by honouring members of your family who served in the Secomd World War both in the forces and at home. We love to hear about the soldiers, but also remember the many who served in support roles, nurses, doctors, land army, muntions workers etc.
Please use our Family History resources to find out more about your relatives. Then please send in a short article, with a photo if possible, so that they can be remembered on these pages.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXII
- All Rights Reserved
Website and ALL Material © Copyright MIM to MMVIII
- All Rights Reserved