- Somerset Light Infantry during the Second World War -
Allied Forces Index
If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Allied Air Forces
Prisoners of War
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
TWMP on Facebook
Your Family History
Somerset Light Infantry
- Somerset Light Infantry 1st Btn
- Somerset Light Infantry 2nd Btn
- Somerset Light Infantry 4th Btn
- Somerset Light Infantry 5th Btn
- Somerset Light Infantry 6th Btn
- Somerset Light Infantry 7th Btn
- Somerset Light Infantry 8th Btn
- Somerset Light Infantry 9th Btn
- Somerset Light Infantry, 10th Btn
- Somerset Light Infantry, 11th Btn
- Somerset Light Infantry, 30th Btn
- Somerset Light Infantry, 50th Btn
If you can provide any additional information, especially on actions and locations at specific dates, please add it here.
Those known to have served with
Somerset Light Infantry
during the Second World War 1939-1945.
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List
The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.
- To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
- Looking for help with Family History Research? Please read our Family History FAQ's
- The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Research your own Family History.
June 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 231812, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.
If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes.Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
There are 5 pages in our library tagged Somerset Light Infantry These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Second World War.
Sgt. Edwin George Hann Royal Army Service CorpsMy Grandfather, Ted Hann was a member of the Somerset Light Infantry Territorials before the war, from about 1937. He stayed with the SLI until 1941/2 when, as a batman, he followed his officer into the RASC. He was involved in the planning of Operation Torch, and is mentioned in a few letters as being used to carry top secret documents.
After landing in North Africa he then took part in the Sicily operations and then landed in Italy. From 1943/4 he was based in Naples running an RASC office and I still have his pass to AFHQ. In 1945 he moved onto Rome and was eventually demobbed in 1946.
If anyone recalls Ted Hann, I would like to get in touch. I have his war diary for 1943/4 which I am trying to decipher and if any names come up I will try and tally them with any on the site.Kevin Hann
Cpl. Frederick John Griggs 7th Battalion Seaforth HighlandersFred Griggs never liked to talk about his time in WW2. He did remember with affection his friends in the 7th Battalion in which he served from 18th of Jan 1940 until 28th of Jan 1946. He said that he originally joined up in the Someset Light Infantry, did his basic training in Weston-Super-Mere and then served with the 7th Battalion as a Signaller. He said that he was wounded in Eindoven, Holland on the way to the Rhine and was flown back to hospital in Morristown, Wales. He was just a few days past his 98th birthday when he passed and must be amongst the last of the Veterans from the Battalion. We would be grateful if anyone has any memories or information about him that we could pass on to his daughter and grandchildren. He is greatly missed.Jim Garrett
Available at discounted prices.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved