- 10th Hussars during the Second World War -
Allied Forces Index
If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Allied Air Forces
Prisoners of War
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
TWMP on Facebook
Your Family History
During WW2 the 10th Hussars served with the 1st Armoured Division. At the outbreak of war, the division was deployed to France and fought in northern France and Belgium. After the fall of France they returned to England in June 1940, leaving their vehicles behind. After a period of regrouping in Britain, re-equipped with Crusader tanks, the regiment deployed to North Africa with 2nd Armoured Brigade, 7th Armoured Division, in November 1941. They saw action in Operation Crusader, the Battle of Alam Halfa and the Second Battle of El Alamein. In 1944 they moved to Italy and fought as an armoured unit and as dismounted infantry.
26th May 1940 Attack Made
If you can provide any additional information, especially on actions and locations at specific dates, please add it here.
Those known to have served with
during the Second World War 1939-1945.
- Haigh Donald. Trpr.
- McFadzean Albert. Tpr. (d.12th Jun 1940)
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List
The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.
- The 1st of September 2017 is The Wartime Memories Project's 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.
- To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
- Looking for help with Family History Research? Please read our Family History FAQ's
- The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Research your own Family History.
Dec 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 237716, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.
If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes.Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
There are 2 pages in our library tagged 10th Hussars These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Second World War.
Trpr. Donald Haigh 46th Recce RegimentDonald Haigh was my grandad who was enlisted on 14th August 1941. He went to the Reconnaissance Corps in Lochmaben, Lockerbie, Dumfries to do his training and afterwards was sent down to Kent.
My grandad was part of the Armoured Corps and was deployed to Algiers and then to Tunisia. After North Africa, he was deployed to Italy - Salerno - with part of the Eighth Army across Cava Bridge. He fought alongside the Gurkhas and onto Naples, Cassino. He was then redeployed to Egypt and went from there to Palestine to reinforce the Corps. From Palestine my grandad was sent back to Italy and on to Florence. From Florence he went to Greece, where there was conflict with the communists and Royalists. He was there for six months. He was then deployed to Rimini(?) Italy. From Italy they worked their way up to Austria, where they met up with the Russians and then went on to Germany.
He was eventually demobbed on 20th June 1946 from the 10th Royal Hussars RAC with military conduct saying "Exemplary" on his release leave certificate.Neil Sutcliffe
Available at discounted prices.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved