- RAF Odiham during the Second World War -
If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Allied Air Forces
Prisoners of War
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
TWMP on Facebook
Your Family History
Experimental role No. 4 Squadron was formed at Farnborough on 16 September 1912, the last squadron to come into existence prior to the outbreak of The Great War. Although designated initially for home defence, it was swiftly re-assigned to France, departing England on the 13th August 1914. At first it undertook a reconnaissance role, but it also undertook a number of operational experiments including wireless communications, night flying, aerial photography, air-to-ground attack and the use of aircraft to land agents behind enemy lines.
No. 4 Squadron continued to fly reconnaissance missions after the Great War Armistice until it was withdrawn to RAF Northolt on 13 February 1919 and disbanded.
The Squadron reformed on 30 April 1920 at Farnborough and part of the squadron soon saw service in the Irish War of Independence between November 1920 and January 1922. It was then deployed to Turkey during the Chanak crisis in August 1922, travelling in crates from Southampton aboard HMS Ark Royal and then reassembled and flying from the flight deck of HMS Argus to an airbase at Kilya. The threat of hostilities did not materialise and they returned to Farnborough in September 1923. During the 1926 General Strike, No. 4 Squadron's was relocated temporarily to RAF Turnhouse (Edinburgh) to patrol railway lines to deter feared sabotage.
No.4 Squadron was also engaged in testing prototypes offered for reconnaissance duties including an evaluation of the experimental Avro Rota autogyro. Although a qualified success, the Rota autogyro was not accepted for service in the RAF in any numbers. In January 1939 was at RAF Odiham when these were replaced by a new monoplane intended primarily for artillery cooperation and reconnaissance, the Westland Lysander.
3rd September 1939 On the Move
June 1940 On the Move
16th June 1940 Aircraft Lost
5th July 1940 On the Move
13th August 1940 Battle of Britain
11th June 1941 On the Move
11th January 1943 Ops
15th July 1943 Move
17th July 1943 On the Move
27th June 1944 Preparations
30th July 1944 Overseas
1st Aug 1944 Reconnaissance
If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.
Those known to have served at
during the Second World War 1939-1945.
This page is new, as yet no names have been submitted.
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List
The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.
- The 1st of September 2017 is The Wartime Memories Project's 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.
- To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
- Looking for help with Family History Research? Please read our Family History FAQ's
- The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Research your own Family History.
Dec 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 237716, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.
If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes.Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
Available at discounted prices.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved