- RAF Truleigh Hill during the Second World War -
If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Allied Air Forces
Prisoners of War
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
TWMP on Facebook
Your Family History
RAF Truleigh Hill
If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.
Those known to have served at
RAF Truleigh Hill
during the Second World War 1939-1945.
- Lindsell Kathleen Marion. LACW
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List
The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.
- To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
- Looking for help with Family History Research? Please read our Family History FAQ's
- The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Research your own Family History.
Aug 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 234727, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.
If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes.Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
LACW Kathleen Marion Lindsell Signals 60 GroupLeading Aircraft Women Kathleen Lindsell enlisted on the 27th of February 1941 and went to RAF Innsworth, Gloucester as an untrained Telephone Operator (ACW 2). She then moved to RAF 60 Group headquarters, Leighton Buzzard on 14 March 1941 and billeted at Woodlands Hostel, Soulbury Road,Linslade, Bucks.
She became a telephonist on the 29th of January 1941 and transferred to No. 2 Radio School at RAF Yatesbury, Cherhill, Wiltshire on 16 April 1942. From there she was posted to RAF Dunkirk, Chain Home Radar Station, Courtenay Road, Kent on 28 May 1942 AMES (Air Ministry Experimental Station) Type 1 Code Name” Chain Home”. Kathleen moved to to RAF Truleigh Hill, Chain Home Low Radar Station (AMES Type 2) near Fulking, West Sussex on the 3rd of April 1943. She took a Local Trade Test Board Course on 1st of October 1943 becoming a LACW and a Radio Operator from 31st of December 1943. A Good Conduct Badge awarded on 27th of February 1944.
She was posted to RAF Steginot, Chain Home Radar Station, (AMES Type1) Manor Hill, Lincolnshire on 22 August 1944 and to RAF Worth Matravers, Chain Home Radar Station, near Swanage, Dorset on 27th September 1945 being billeted at “Penlu”, Taunton Road, Swanage (now Sea Court Flats). Kathleen transferred to No 105, Personnel Despatch Centre, Wythall on 22nd of November 1945 and was released from Service on 17th of January 1946.
All Wings served in were part of No. 60 (Signals) Group, which was formed on 23rd of March 1940 in Fighter Command to control RAF Radar Stations and other Radio Units.David Lindsell
Available at discounted prices.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved