You are not logged in.
RAF Middle Wallop USAAF Station 449 in the Second World War 1939-1945 - The Wartime Memories Project -

The Wartime Memories Project

- RAF Middle Wallop USAAF Station 449 during the Second World War -

Airfields Index
skip to content

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you agree to accept cookies.

If you enjoy this site

please consider making a donation.

    Site Home

    WW2 Home

    Add Stories

    WW2 Search

 WW2 Features


    Allied Army

    Allied Air Forces

    Allied Navy

    Axis Forces

    Home Front

    Prisoners of War

    Allied Ships

    Women at War

    Those Who Served



    The Great War


    Add Stories

    Time Capsule

    TWMP on Facebook

    Childrens Bookshop


    Your Family History


    Contact us




World War 2 Two II WW2 WWII

RAF Middle Wallop USAAF Station 449

   RAF Middle Wallop opened in May 1940 and was used by No.15 SFTS before construction was complete. During the Battle of Britain, the airfield was attacked several times with many casualties inflicted and a hangar and aircraft being destroyed. The runways were grass with a concrete perimeter track and in 1942 two Sommerfield track steel mats were installed.

In November 1943 Middle Wallop became the HQ of USAAF IX Fighter Command when the site became USAAF Station 449. Middle Wallop returned to Royal Air Force use in July 1944.

Today the airfield is home to the Museum of Army Flying, and it has been home to the School of Army Aviation since 1954.

Squadrons stationed here during the Second World War.
  • No. 15 SFTS
  • No. 32 Squadron
  • No. 56 Squadron
  • No. 609 Squadron
  • No. 604 Squadron
  • 107th and 109th Tactical Recconaissance Squadrons of the 67th Tactical Recconaissance Group. Nov 1943 to July 1944
  • 12th Tactical Recconaissance Squadron
  • 15th Tactical Recconaissance Squadron
  • 30th Photographic Squadron of the 10th Photographic Reconnaissance Group. from May 1944
  • 418 Squadron July 1944 to Jan 1945
  • No. 3501 Servicing Unit and
  • Pilot Replacement Pool


14th August 1940  airfields attacked

21st August 1940  Airfields attacked

29th November 1940 

15th December 1940 Relocation

14th June 1942 Sorties over France

If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.

Those known to have served at

RAF Middle Wallop USAAF Station 449

during the Second World War 1939-1945.

  • Burch John Daniel. LAC.
  • Burch John Daniel. LAC
  • Lesmes George. S/Sgt.
  • Walch Stuart Crosby. Act.F/Lt. (d.11th Aug 1944)

The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List

The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.


  • The 1st of September 2017 is The Wartime Memories Project's 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.
  • To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
  • Looking for help with Family History Research?   Please read our Family History FAQ's
  • The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.
    If you enjoy this site

    please consider making a donation.

  • We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.

Research your own Family History.

Sep 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 235634, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.


We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.

We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.

If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.

Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.

If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes. Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.

Act.F/Lt. Stuart Crosby Walch Blue Flight 238 Squadron (d.11th Aug 1944)

Stuart Crosby Walch, was born on 16 Aug 1917 in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, to parents Percival Bell Crosby Walch and Florence Esther Jane Pigdon, he was the youngest of three children and the only male. (His youngest sister, Brenda Jane Clelland Walch, served as a driver in the Women’s Australian Air Force.) Stuart was educated at The Hutchins School, Hobart, between 1927 and 1934, winning the Head of the River cup in Launceston in 1934. Following his leaving school, Stuart obtained employment at the Family business, J Walch & Sons, which had been established by his great-great-grandfather, James William Henry Walch in 1846.

He left there in 1936, and enlisted in the Royal Australian Air Force, at Point Cook, Victoria, and in 1937 transferring to the Royal Air Force. On 26 August of the same year, he was “granted a short service commission as Pilot Officer for five years on the active list,” (Gazetted: 10 September 1937). In July 1940 he was serving with 238 Squadron at Middle Wallop as a Flight Lieutenant.

He was involved in a number of sorties. The first, for which I can find an action report was on the 11 July, 1940, what is now considered to be the second day of The Battle of Britain: “B” Flight detailed to patrol Warmwell 1140hrs Diverted to Portland at 1155hrs. E/A reported over Portland at 4,000’. Saw A/A fire about 5000’. At this time my flight was 10000’ I ordered A/C line astern. Climbed towards combat taking place ahead (south) & above about 3 mls distant. One ME. 110 observed diving towards ship off P.Bill at 10000’. I ordered Green Section to stay above in case of escort fighters. Blue 1, 2 & 3 attacked in order. E/A turned towards me & I fired 2/3 sec bursts from o/h (range about 300-200yds) Again attacked after pt 3 from beam closing to line astern (?)fire. 250yds and closed to 50yds. E/A straightening out. White and black smoke coming from (?) engine. E/A has black X’s on fus & m/planes & was of black colour on upper surface under surface not observed. Confirmed by Bl 2 & 3.”

The next action report, located, is for 20 July: ” Blue Section 238 Squadron were ordered to patrol convoy 15 miles South East of Portland. We arrived over convoy at 1220 hours flying at about 8,000ft. At 1300hrs. at a height of 6,000ft. having lost my 2 & 3 and having twice investigated aircraft which turned out to be Hurricanes, I had turned on my reserve tank and decided to return to base. I flew towards Swanage climbing to 8,000ft and at about 5 miles from Swanage I observed 15 aircraft flying in formation towards the convoy on N. course at approx. 12,000ft. I was too far away to identify A/C but from the direction they were taking presumed they were hostile. I endeavoured to contact Ground Station to find out if the relief section was on its way but received no reply. I turned and headed for convoy climbing to get into sun. When about 5 miles from convoy I saw bombs explode around escorting destroyer. I pulled the plug and went after the E/A which had turned Southwards. When I got to the S.E. side of convoy at 10,000ft I saw three ME109’s flying in wide VIC at about 9,000ft. I dived and attacked the port machine, opened fire at 200yds quarter closing to astern at approx. 50 yards. 2 two second bursts were fired. Black smoke poured from under the engine of the E/A and he turned right and made vertical dive towards sea. I did not follow as the other aircraft were trying to get astern of me. I pulled up in a steep stall turn and made for home as petrol was very low. Visibility perfect – no cloud. Rounds fired approximately 800.”

The next day he was back in action: “Blue Section ordered to patrol Portland at 15.15 at 12,000 feet, vectored 100° at 15.40. When approaching the Needles saw convoy being attacked by 15 Me. 110’s/ These a/c were flying from the Northern side. I put my section in line astern and gave the order to Blue 2 & 3 to select a target each and to attack independently. I dived down from 12,000feet to 8,00feet following the last aircraft in the enemy formation, which was now flying away from the convoy south east, apparently returning to France. I closed to about 500 yards before I was sighted. The formation then went into a righthand turn, aircraft still in line astern. The aircraft I was following swung out on the turn and was on the outside of the circle. I opened fire at 250 yards closing to 50. No.2 attacked the enemy aircraft on my right. The aircraft I attacked tightened his turn and dived towards the sea, I broke off the attack and the starboard engine of the enemy aircraft was emitting black and white smoke.

I lost sight of the enemy aircraft in the dive. As I pulled away in a left hand turn. A few seconds later I saw and Me.1? flying at sea level. It went straight for about a mile then dived straight into the sea. I cannot say whether this was the enemy aircraft which I attacked or the one which Blue 2 attacked. I then saw three Me 109’s in line astern formation coming towards me on the beam at about 10,000feet. They did not attack me but turned away in a S.E. direction and dived. I started to follow but saw an aircraft I thought to be an Me. 109 flying at sea level towards the convoy. I broke off following the 3 Me. 109 and dived to attack the aircraft which I had just seen. On getting within range it turned out to be Blue 2. By the time I had climbed up to 10,000 feet again all hostile aircraft had disappeared.”

The next available report is for 26 July: “I was Blue Leader. Squadron ordered to patrol Swanage at 10,000feet. Time up 1142, down 1230. I arrived on patrol flying at 10,000feet with section on left of C.O. (Green Section). Squadron received order that bandits S.W. of Portland at 12,000feet. I saw 3 ME.109’s about 25-30miles S of Portland at about 14,000feet. I put Section in line astern and climbed behind. 2 ME.109’s in Vic. formation and one loose on right. I took loose one and fired one short burst (1 sec.) from a shallow quarter deflection. ME. Half rolled then dived vertically down, then went into spin and broke up, the wings dropping off and fuselage going into sea.

Both Blue 2 P/O Considine and Yellow 1 Sgt Marsh confirmed.

I found further reference to Stuart being involved in action, on 8th August, on the website:, in an excerpt from the privately published memoirs of Squadron Leader ‘Jimmy’ Fenton:

"On the 8th, as usual, we were at readiness at first light. After breakfast, my adjutant Noel David, fetched me to the office for a rare spell of administration. As soon as I left dispersal, the Squadron was scrambled - led by Stuart Walch, and went into action over a shipping convoy a few miles south of the Isle of White intercepting a big raid.” On 11 August, 1940, at about 1030 hours, 5 raids totalling approximately 200 aircraft approached Portland and Weymouth Bay on a 20 mile front and of these about 150 crossed the coast and caused considerable damage to Portland. The attack was made both from high level and by dive bombers. These raids were met by 7 fighter squadrons which shot down 23 (plus 22 unconfirmed) enemy aircraft against our losses of 16. Of these 16 losses one was Stuart, who was originally posted as being ‘Missing in Action’ but later as ‘killed in action’, he was shotdown whilst flying a Hurricane Mk I (R4097) off Weymouth.

His ‘presumed’ death was announced in The Mercury on 21 May 1941: “Death presumed of Acting Flight-Lieut Stuart Walch, formerly of Hobart, who had been reported missing as the result of air operations against the enemy over the English Channel on August 10 last year, has been announced. Acting Flight-Lieut. Walch was the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Percy Walch, of Hobart. He was educated at the Hutchins School, where he was prominent in sport, particularly football and cricket. He was a member of the Hutchins School crew which won the Head-of-the-River race at Launceston in 1934, and participated also in tennis and athletics. After leaving the Hutchins School he continued his sporting activities as a member of the Old Boys' football and cricket teams until he left the State in 1936 to join the Royal Australian Air Force. He transferred to the Royal Air Force in 1937.

Acting Flight-Lieut Walch had a brilliant record of achievement with the R.A.F., as an instructor and pilot. For the greater part of his service in England he was stationed with No. 151 Fighter Squadron at North Weald, in Essex, and after the outbreak of war saw service in several other stations. He was regarded as being particularly skilful and fearless at night flying. He was the first member of his squadron to fly a Hurricane fighter, and was highly regarded by his senior officers.”

He is remembered on Panel 5 of the Runneymede Memorial.

Mark Moore

LAC. John Daniel Burch

I am trying to trace the service history of my father, John Burch. He told me he was stationed at Middleton, Middle Wallop and St Athen, and he was a fitter, principally working on Spits, Hurricanes, and Defiants. He told me that he was LAC II (I think) when he left. I think his stay at Middleton which, may have been towards the end of World War 2, before he was moved to Norway to help with the mopping up exercises, because I have just found a photo of him in uniform taken at the age of 38 and printed by a shop in Skegness.

Dan Burch

S/Sgt. George Lesmes 12th Tactical Reconaissance Squadron

My grandfather, George Lesmes, served in the USAAF Staff Seargent in the 12th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron linked to 67th TRS Group and stationed here in the UK during 1942-1944. He was based at various bases throughout England during this time; Membury from Sept 1942, Aldermaston, Chilbolton, Middle Wallop left 1944 for France. I was wondering if anyone has any photographs?

Nigel O'Hanlon

LAC John Daniel Burch

My father, John Burch told me he was stationed at Middleton St George, Middle Wallop and St Athen, and he was a fitter, principally working on Spits, Hurricanes, and Defiants. His stay at Middleton which, may have been towards the end of the World War 2, before he was moved to Norway to help with the mopping up exercises. I say towards the end of WW2 because I have just found a photo of him in uniform taken at the age of 38 and printed by a shop in Skegness.

Dan Burch

Recomended Reading.

Available at discounted prices.


    The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.

    This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.

    If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.

    Hosted by:

    The Wartime Memories Project Website

    is archived for preservation by the British Library

    Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
    - All Rights Reserved