- RAF Bicester during the Second World War -
If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Allied Air Forces
Prisoners of War
Women at War
Those Who Served
The Great War
TWMP on Facebook
Your Family History
2nd Sept 1939 No. 12 Squadron was formed in 1915 and moved to St Omer, France to undertake long-range reconnaissance. By 1918, it was engaged in night bombing and ground attack missions. After the armistice at the end of WW1, 12 squadron moved to Germany as part of the army of occupation and by November 1919 was the sole operational squadron in Germany. The squadron was disbanded in 1922.
It was reformed in 1923 as a bomber squadron. As well as training in day and night bombing and formation flying, the squadron undertook trials of parachutes. The Squadron was also tasked with experimental trials with oxygen systems, high altitude photography, and low temperature operations. In October 1935 the Squadron moved to Aden in response to the Italian invasion of Abyssinia, but they returned home in August 1936 without being deployed.
With the political situation in Europe deteriorating, rearming Britain became a priority and in February 1938, the Squadron was re-equipped with Fairey Battles and relocated to RAF Bicester. The Squadron deployed to France at Berry-au-Bac, about 15 miles north of Rheims on 2 September 1939, the day before war was declared.
2nd Sept 1939
6th Dec 1941 Aircraft Lost
If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.
Those known to have served at
during the Second World War 1939-1945.
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List
The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website.
- The 1st of September 2017 is The Wartime Memories Project's 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.
- To commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day, we are launching a new feature, Second World War Day by Day and also a new Library to allow access to records which have previously been held in our offline archive.
- Looking for help with Family History Research? Please read our Family History FAQ's
- The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors. If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help with the website. We currently have a huge backlog of submissions which need to be edited for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Research your own Family History.
Dec 2017 - Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 237716, your information is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
We are aware of the issue with missing images, this is due to the redesign of the website, images will reappear as soon as the new version of the page is completed, thank you for your patience.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to WW2. We would like to obtain digital copies of any documents or photographs relating to WW2 you may have at home.
If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes.Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted. World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Did you know? We also have a section on The Great War. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
Flight Lieutenant Ernest Robert WoofMy Grandfather served at RAF Biscester during WW2. His name was Flt. Lt. Ernest Robert Woof. He was a ground engineering officer. All my aunts and uncles were either born or brought up in the area. It is my plan to take my mother for a visit in the near future if possible at the location of the airfield.Atb. R. Mogliazzi
F/Sgt. John Simeon McPhail MacAskill 98 SquadronMy late father, F/Sgt John MacAskill, trained in Oudtshoorn, South Africa, from 31st August 1942 to 2nd January 1943. He was then with 13 OTU RAF Bicester before his first tour of duty with 98 Squadron on 3rd May 1944. The aircraft he flew were Anson, Oxford, Blenheim(1V), Boston (IIIA) and Mitchell (IID).
If anyone reading this flew with my father, especially a Sgt. Nicholson with whom he seemed to spend most of his tour of duty, please contact me.Fiona MacAskill
Available at discounted prices.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved