USS San Diego
22nd August 1917 U-Boat Index - WW1 SM U-156 a Type U 151 is commissioned. She was built at Shipyard Atlas Werke, Bremen (Werk 382)
Ordered 29 Nov 1916, launched 17 Apr 1917 and commissioned 22 Aug 1917
She was commanded from 22 Aug 1917 to 15 Jun 1918 by Konrad Gansser and
16 Jun 1918 to 25 Sep 1918 by Richard Feldt.
From 28 Aug 1917 to 25 Sep 1918 she sailed with the U-Kreuzer Flotilla
Successes: 44 ships sunk with a total of 50,471 tons.
2 ships damaged with a total of 638 tons.
1 warship sunk with a total of 13,680 tons.
- 7 Dec 1917 U 156 Konrad Gansser W.c. Mc Kay 147 ca
- 15 Dec 1917 U 156 Konrad Gansser Ioannina 4,567 gr
- 17 Dec 1917 U 156 Konrad Gansser Acoriano 312 pt
- 30 Dec 1917 U 156 Konrad Gansser Joaquin Mumbru 2,703 sp
- 10 Jan 1918 U 156 Konrad Gansser Atlas 1,813 nl
- 8 Feb 1918 U 156 Konrad Gansser Artesia 2,762 br
- 8 Feb 1918 U 156 Konrad Gansser Chariton 3,023 gr
- 8 Feb 1918 U 156 Konrad Gansser Nuzza 1,102 it
- 9 Feb 1918 U 156 Konrad Gansser Atlantide 5,431 it
- 26 Jun 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Tortuguero 4,175 br
- 7 Jul 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Marosa 1,987 nw
- 8 Jul 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Manx King 1,729 nw
- 19 Jul 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt San Diego 13,680 am
- 21 Jul 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt 703 934 am
- 21 Jul 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt 740 680 am
- 21 Jul 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt 766 527 am
- 21 Jul 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Lansford 830 am
- 21 Jul 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Perth Amboy (damaged) 435 am
- 22 Jul 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Robert & Richard 140 am
- 2 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Dornfontein 766 ca
- 3 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Annie Perry 116 am
- 3 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Muriel 120 am
- 3 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Rob Roy 111 am
- 3 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Sydney B. Atwood 100 am
- 4 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Nelson A. 72 br
- 5 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Agnes G. Holland 100 am
- 5 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Gladys M. Hollett (d.) 203 br
- 5 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Luz Blanca 4,868 ca
- 8 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Sydland 3,031 sw
- 11 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Penistone 4,139 br
- 17 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt San Jose 1,586 nw
- 20 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt A. Piatt Andrew 141 am
- 20 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Francis J. O'hara, Jr. 117 am
- 20 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Lucille M. Schnare 121 ca
- 20 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Pasadena 119 ca
- 20 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Triumph 239 ca
- 20 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Uda A. Saunders 125 ca
- 21 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Sylvania 136 am
- 22 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Notre Dame De La Garde 147 fr
- 25 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt C. M. Walters 107 ca
- 25 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt E. B. Walters 126 ca
- 25 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Erik 583 br
- 25 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt J. J. Flaherty 162 am
- 25 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Marion Adams 99 ca
- 25 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Verna D. Adams 132 ca
- 25 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Clayton W. Walters 116 ca
- 26 Aug 1918 U 156 Richard Feldt Gloaming 130 ca
U156 was lost on the 25 Sep 1918, probably mined in Northern Passage as she failed to report when clear of it. 77 dead (all hands lost).
If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.
Want to know more about USS San Diego?
There are:1 articles tagged USS San Diego available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Those known to have served in
USS San Diego
during the Great War 1914-1918.
This page is new, as yet no names have been submitted.
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed,
please Add a Name to this List
Looking for help with Family History Research?
Please see Family History FAQ's
We are unable to provide individual research free of charge, but do offer a paid service at competitive rates, the small profit from these services will be put towards the costs of keeping this website running. For more information please see our Research Services Leaflet
Can you help?
The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors.
If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.
If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to the Great War. If you have any unwanted
photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes. Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates, add a comment or ask a question.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Please note we currently have a backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 233877 your submission is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
Did you know? We also have a section on World War Two. and a
Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
Want to know more about USS San Diego?
There are:1 articles tagged USS San Diego available in our Library
Available at discounted prices.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia relating to this unit? Please add to this archive.