- HMS Pathfinder during the Great War -
If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.
Add Stories & Photos
Day by Day
War in the Air
Prisoners of War
The Royal Navy
Training for War
Those Who Served
Life on Home Front
Central Powers Army
Central Powers' Navy
World War Two
Add Stories & Photos
Help & FAQ's
Our Facebook Page
Great War Books
Research your Family History.
World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
1st September 1914 U-Boat Index - WW1 SM U-21
Type U 19 Shipyard Kaiserliche Werft, Danzig (Werk 15) Ordered 25 Nov 1910 Laid down 27 Oct 1911 Launched 8 Feb 1913 Commissioned 22 Oct 1913.
22 Oct 1913 - 31 Aug 1918 Otto Hersing 1 Sep 1918 - 11 Nov 1918 Friedrich Klein
Career 11 patrols.
start date unknown - 4 Mar 1917 Pola Flotilla.
1 Aug 1914 - 5 Jun 1915 III Flotilla.
5 Jun 1915 - end date unknown Constantinople Flotilla.
4 Mar 1917 - 11 Nov 1918 III Flotilla.
Successes 36 ships sunk with a total of 79,005 tons.
2 ships damaged with a total of 8,918 tons.
4 warships sunk with a total of 34,575 tons.
- 5 Sep 1914 U 21 Otto Hersing Pathfinder (hms) 2,940 br
- 23 Nov 1914 U 21 Otto Hersing Malachite 718 br
- 26 Nov 1914 U 21 Otto Hersing Primo 1,366 br
- 30 Jan 1915 U 21 Otto Hersing Ben Cruachan 3,092 br
- 30 Jan 1915 U 21 Otto Hersing Kilcoan 456 br
- 30 Jan 1915 U 21 Otto Hersing Linda Blanche 369 br
- 25 May 1915 U 21 Otto Hersing Triumph (hms) 11,985 br
- 27 May 1915 U 21 Otto Hersing Majestic (hms) 14,900 br
- 4 Jul 1915 U 21 Otto Hersing Carthage 5,601 fr
- 1 Feb 1916 U 21 Otto Hersing Belle Of France 3,876 br
- 8 Feb 1916 U 21 Otto Hersing Admiral Charner 4,750 fr
- 30 Apr 1916 U 21 Otto Hersing City Of Lucknow 3,669 br
- 26 Oct 1916 U 21 Otto Hersing Marina G. 154 it
- 28 Oct 1916 U 21 Otto Hersing Gilda R. 37 it
- 28 Oct 1916 U 21 Otto Hersing Tre Fratelli D. 190 it
- 31 Oct 1916 U 21 Otto Hersing Glenlogan 5,838 br
- 1 Nov 1916 U 21 Otto Hersing Bernardo Canale 1,346 it
- 1 Nov 1916 U 21 Otto Hersing Torero 767 it
- 2 Nov 1916 U 21 Otto Hersing San Antonio O. 113 it
- 3 Nov 1916 U 21 Otto Hersing San Giorgio 258 it
- 23 Dec 1916 U 21 Otto Hersing Benalder (d.) 3,044 br
- 16 Feb 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Mayola 146 br
- 16 Feb 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Rose Dorothea 147 br
- 17 Feb 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Emilia I┬░ 25 pt
- 17 Feb 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Lima 108 pt
- 20 Feb 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Cacique 2,917 fr
- 22 Feb 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Bandoeng 5,851 nl
- 22 Feb 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Eemland 3,770 nl
- 22 Feb 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Gaasterland 3,917 nl
- 22 Feb 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Jacatra 5,373 nl
- 22 Feb 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Noorderdijk 7,166 nl
- 22 Feb 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Normanna 2,900 nw
- 22 Feb 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Zaandijk 4,189 nl
- 22 Feb 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Menado (d.) 5,874 nl
- 22 Apr 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Gisk÷ 1,643 nw
- 22 Apr 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Theodore William 3,057 nw
- 29 Apr 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Askepot 1,793 nw
- 30 Apr 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Borrowdale 1,268 ru
- 3 May 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Lindisfarne 1,703 ru
- 6 May 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Adansi 2,644 br
- 8 May 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Killarney 1,413 br
- 27 Jun 1917 U 21 Otto Hersing Baltic 1,125 sw
Fate 22 Feb 1919 - Sunk in an accident in position 54.19N, 03.42W while on passage to surrender.
On 5 September, 1914 the small British cruiser HMS Pathfinder was torpedoed and sunk in the North Sea by U 21. This was the first warship to be sunk by a German U-boat during the First World War.John Doran
If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.
Want to know more about HMS Pathfinder?There are:1 articles tagged HMS Pathfinder available in our LibraryThese include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Those known to have served in
during the Great War 1914-1918.
This page is new, as yet no names have been submitted.
The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List
Looking for help with Family History Research?
Please see Family History FAQ's
We are unable to provide individual research free of charge, but do offer a paid service at competitive rates, the small profit from these services will be put towards the costs of keeping this website running. For more information please see our Research Services Leaflet
Can you help?The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors.
If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.
If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.
- The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website
This website has been running for 16 years and receives in excess of a million hits per month. The website and our group will continue long after the 2014-18 events are over. We hope that people will continue to support us by submitting material and stories in addition to submitting to the new websites set up for the anniversary.
- We are looking for volunteers to help with researching the activities of units of the Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, Territorial Force, Regular Army, Pals Battalions, Kitchener's New Armies, Voluntary Organisations and the Ships of the Royal Navy. We currently have a huge backlog of stories and historical documents which need to be edited or transcribed for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.
Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to the Great War. If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes. Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted.
We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates, add a comment or ask a question.
If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.
Mar 2017World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
Please note we currently have a backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 230777 your submission is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.
Did you know? We also have a section on World War Two. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
Want to know more about HMS Pathfinder?There are:1 articles tagged HMS Pathfinder available in our Library
Available at discounted prices.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia relating to this unit? Please add to this archive.
Suggest a link
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website ę Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved