The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
31st July 1917On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusiliers move up The 16th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers move up from the coast defences at Bray Dunes to Coxyde because of very heavy casualties in 49 Division whcih suffered their first experience of mustard gas.
- 124th Heavy Battery in action at The Somme 124th Heavy Battery RGA are in action at the 3rd Battle of Ypres (Passchendaele)
- Liverpool Scottish advance Early in the morning of the 31st of July 1917 the Liverpool Scottish advanced from Wieltje, supported by two tanks, to take their objective of Capricorn Trench. The Medical Officer of the 10th Btn, Capt Chavasse VC, set up the Regimental Aid Post close the front line in a captured enemy dugout near Setques Farm. He suffered a head injury early in the attack and walked back to the Main Dressing Station at Wieltje but returned to run the RAP after treatment. He was seriously wounded twice more but refused to leave his post, going out several times under heavy fire to bring in wounded.
- Drama at Liverpool Scottish Regimental Aid Post The Medical Officer of the 10th Btn, Liverpool Scottish, Capt Chavasse VC, had been on duty at the Regimental Aid Post close the front line in a captured enemy dugout near Setques Farm since the attack on the 31st of July. He was still on duty when he was mortally wounded on 2nd of August when a shell penetrated the dugout. He was taken to the No.32 Casualty Clearing Station at Brandhoek which specialised in abdominal wounds.
- 245 MGC Setting up base camp 245 Machine Gun Company having arrived now at its base near Mercatel, commenced work erecting huts and tents and generally settling in.
One man was sent to VII Corps Rest Station – sick.
- 31st July 1917 Ongoing training and Letter from 1 Corps Commander
- 31st Jul 1917 1st Bty RFA in Heavy Action
- 31st Jul 1917 RE8's Patrol
- 31st July 1917
- 31st Jul 1917 New Group
- 31st Jul 1917 Operational Action
- IN L4 SECTOR T.188.8.131.52
In line. Quiet day.
- 31st Jul 1917 Route March
- 31st Jul 1917 In Action
- August 1917
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:15 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Arthur Allen. Lincolnshire Regiment 8th Btn. Pte. George Archibald. Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) 4/5th (Angus and Dundee) Battalion Read their Story. Pte Harry Austin. Royal Welsh Fusiliers 17th Btn Read their Story. Pte. Henry Barnett. Sherwood Foresters 1st Btn. Read their Story. Spr. Wilfred Henry Bland. 1st Canadian Tunnelling Coy. Pte. Walter Ainger Brooks. 2nd Btn. Read their Story. L/Cpl. George Walford Brown. British Army 3rd Battalion Rifles Pte. William Cahill. Leinster Regiment 7th Btn. Read their Story. Capt. Thomas Riversdale Colyer-Fergusson. VC. Northamptonshire Regiment, 2nd Battalion, Read their Story. Capt. Thomas Riversdale Colyer-Fergusson. VC. Northamptonshire Regiment 2nd Btn. Read their Story. L/Sgt. James Connell. MM Middlesex Regiment 2nd Batalion Pte. James Curran. Royal Scots Fusiliers 6/7th Battalion Read their Story. Pte. Walter Davidson. Blackwatch 6th Btn Read their Story. Cpl. James Llewellyn Davies. VC The Royal Welch Fusiliers Robert Edward Davies. Royal Welsh Fusiliers 16th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. John Duffy. Royal Scots Fusiliers att. 258 Tunnelling Company RE. Read their Story. L/Cpl. William Ellison. King's Liverpool Regiment 1/9th Btn. Read their Story. Pte George Charles Ensby. Royal Fusiliers 12 Btn. Private Alexander Gray. Highland Light Infantry 18th Battalion Read their Story. Pte. Walter Joseph Gray. Middlesex Regiment 4th Battalion, A Company L/Cpl. Frederick George Hanna. Queens Own Cameron Highlanders 6th Btn. Read their Story. 2nd Lt. Dennis George Wyldbore Hewitt. VC. Hampshire Regiment 2nd Btn. Read their Story. Rfmn. Arthur Hill. King's Liverpool Regiment 1st/5th Btn. Read their Story. L/Cpl. William James Horsman. Middlesex Regiment 2nd Btn. Ãƒ?Ã?Â A Coy. Read their Story. Pte. Thomas Joicey. King's Regiment (Liverpool) 8th Battalion Read their Story. Pte. William Kavanagh. Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 7th Battalion Read their Story. Pte. William Kent. Royal West Kent Regiment 10th Btn. Read their Story. Francis Ledwidge. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 5th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. R. Logan. Scottish Rifles 10th Btn Drvr. John James Mandale. Royal Field Artillery 173rd Brigade, A Bty Read their Story. Pte. Ernest Meadows. Sherwood Foresters 1st Batallion Pte. John Ulrich Moss. King's (Liverpool) Regiment 1/7th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Thomas Mullaly. Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 7th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. William Henry Paul. South Wales Borderers No 6 Platoon Read their Story. Bmbdr. R. C. Pearson. Royal Field Artillery 173rd Brigade, C Bty Read their Story. L/Cpl. Major Phillips. South Wales Borderers 11th Battalion Read their Story. Cpl. Edward Kingsford Radley. Somerset Light Infantry 8th Btn. A Coy. Read their Story. Drvr. Robert James Smith. Royal Field Artillery 173rd Brigade, A Bty Read their Story. Cpl. Charles Taylor. Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment 10th Btn. Pte. Henry Louis Taylor. Royal Fusiliers 12th Battalion Pte. John Frederick Thompson. Durham Light Infantry 20th Battalion Read their Story. Pte. Leslie Topliss. Sherwood Foresters 17th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. William Trull. Coldstream Guards 3rd Battalion Read their Story. Spr. Herbert Wardle. MM. Royal Engineers 234 Fld. Coy. Read their Story. Spr. Herbert Wardle. MM. Royal Engineers 234th Coy. Read their Story. Pte. William Webster. London Regiment 1st Battalion Read their Story. Pte. John Frederick White. Royal Army Medical Corps 3rd Wessex Field Ambulance Read their Story. Pte. John Owen Williams. The King's Liverpool Regiment 1st/10th Btn. Read their Story. L/Cpl. William Ernest Wiseman. Rifle Brigade 3rd Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Charles Edward Withall. 42nd Btn. Pte. Walter Woodward. Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 7th Battalion Read their Story. Pte. Walter Woodward. Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 7th Btn. Read their Story.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved