The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
31st January 1918On this day:
- Enemy takes Prisoners During heavy mist, the enemy raids a post held by elements of D coy, 16th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers and take ten prisoners. Determined attempts are made on each of the two succeeding nights to retaliate but the enemy are very much on the alert.
- 124th Heavy Battery to 44 HAB 124th Heavy Battery, RGA transfer to 44th Heavy Artillery Brigade from 42 HAB on the 31st of Jan 1918
- Daily Activity 9th Btn. (North Irish Horse) the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
German shot about fifty yards in front of A Company. He belonged to 5th Grenadier Regiment, 36th Division.
From 1400 to 1600 the Battalion and Company Headquarters were fired on with 105mm shells.
- Relief and move to Rest Area 59th Heavy Artillery Brigade
The HQ and 1 section each of 37th, 335th and 350th SB's pulled out (of line) for rest and proceeded to Esqelbecq. They were relieved by the 115th, 212th and 202nd SB respectively of the 65th Brigade, RGA.
Tactical scheme for Battalion figuring counter attack on ARLEUX POST.
- 31st Jan 1918 Working Parties
- 31st Jan 1918 In Camp
- 31st Jan 1918 In the Front Line
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:8 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Chief Engine Room Artific Leonard Adams. HMS K4 Able Seaman. James Armstrong. HMS K4 Lt Cmdr. Athelstan Alfred Lennox Fenner. HMS K4 Ldg Stoker John Henry Goodsall. HMS K4 Stoker 1st Class Herbert Ernest Martin. HMS K4 Able Seaman. Albert Spice. HMS K4 Able Seaman. John Spice. HMS K4 Commander David De Beauvoir Stocks. DSO HMS K4
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved