The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
30th March 1918On this day:
- Daily Activity 9th Btn. (North Irish Horse) the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
Marched from Taisnil to Sauleul [SalouŽl] and remained the night.
- Counter-attack at Hangard Wood 36th Btn AIF take part in a counter-attack at Hangard Wood on 30th March 1918
- Munitionettes' Cup Final at St James's Park The Munitionettes' Cup Final is played at St James's Park, resulting in a 0-0 draw between Blyth Spartans' Munition Girls and Bolckow Vaughan's Ladies. Teh match rasied £691 for charity.
- 30th Mar 1918 New Position
- NEAR ST LEGER
Relief completed 3.40am. GOC 97TH Bde & OCís 2nd KOYLI & BORDER REGT visited HQ at 7am to arrange details for relief. 2nd KOYLI to relieve our one Coy (C) in the line & Y&L in the line. A B & D Coyís to move on orders from Bn HQ. Relief orders issued. Heavy artillery activity some distance N&S of us, very little on our own front. Received orders to work digging on the old German line. Were not relieved in time to do this work although B Coy & HQ were sent, being required first as orders were that Battalion had to be through MONCHY AU BOIS by 5.30am.
The National Archives Reference WO95/2361/1
- 30th March 1918 Leave
- 30th Mar 1918 Inspection
- 30th Mar 1918 Falling Back
- 30th Mar 1918 In Action
- 30th Mar 1918 In Reserve
- 30th Mar 1918 Holding the Line
- 30th March 1918 VC awarded
- 30th March 1918 Holding Positions
- 30th Mar 1918 Orders
- Munitionettes' Cup Final replay The Munitionettes' Cup Final replay between Blyth Spartans' Munition Girls and Bolckow Vaughan's Ladies ended with the Spartans winning 5-0. Bella Reay scored a hat trick with Captain Bella Metcalfe scoring two goals. The team were: Hannah Weir, Lizzie James, Nellie Fairless, Agnes Sample, Martha O'Brien, Bella Metcalfe, Dollie Summers, Annie Allan, Bella Reay, Dollie Allan and Jean Morgan.
The runners up, Bolckow Vaughn were: Emily Milner, Amelia Farrell, Greta Kirk, Violet Sharples,
Elizabeth Powell, Mary Mohan, Mercy Page, Winnie McKenna, Gladys Reece, Olive Percival and Anne Wharton
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:15 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Capt. John "Punch" Arnott. MC. 15th (The King's) Hussars Read their Story. Pte. Joseph Brennan. Royal Dublin Fusiliers 10th Btn. Read their Story. L/Cpl. William James Bullock. Esex Regiment 10th Btn. John Abraham Carpenter. Wiltshire Regiment 1st Btn. Pte. William Edwards. Kings' Shropshire Light Infantry 6th Battalion Pte. A. E. Ford. Northamptonshire Regiment 6th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Christopher Gogarty. Machine Gun Guards Read their Story. Cpl. Alban Laurence Hicks. Royal Field Artillery 177th Brigade Read their Story. Capt. James Cunliffe Leask. MC. Northumberland Fusiliers 5th Battalion Read their Story. Pte. Frederick Singleton Martin. 33rd Btn. A Coy. 2 Platoon Read their Story. Sgt. George Alexander Hugh Murray. 14th Infantry Battalion 4th Division Salvage Coy Read their Story. Pte. Daniel Partis. East Yorkshire Regiment 11th Btn. Gnr. Frank B. Rodgers. Royal Garrison Artillery 234th Seige Bty. Read their Story. Lt. Hubert Sydney Centennial "Bill" Simpson. MID 13th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Wilfred James Simshauser. 33rd Battalion Read their Story. 2nd Lt Arthur George Richard Whitworth. Northumberland Fusiliers 19th Btn Read their Story. Staff Nurse Mary Elizabeth Wills. Territorial Force Nursing Service Read their Story. Pte. John Withall. Royal West Kent Regiment 10th Btn. A Coy.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved