The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
30th July 1915On this day:
- 2nd Royal Fusiliers pass through Lemnos The 2nd Battalion Royal Fusilers arribed at Lemnos Harbour and transferred to HM Gunboat Newmarket, setting sail for Cape Helles, arriving at midnight.
- Germans use flamethrower In an attack at 03:15 in the front line at the Hooge Crater, the Germans employed a flame thrower against troops of the 8th Battalion Rifle Brigade and 7th Kings Royal Rifle Corps.
- 6th London Brigade RFA move to Gosnay The remaining section of the 16th London Battery and the first section of the 17th London Battery were relieved last night and proceeded to Gosnay. At midday today Lt. Colonel A.C. Lowe DSO handed over his command to Lt. Colonel Heath, OC. 71st Brigade, RFA. The 6th London Ammunition Column proceeded to Gosnay.
- 30th Jul 1915 Under Fire
- 13th KRRC proceed to France The remaining 998 men and 31 officers of the 13th Battalion KRRC marched out of Windmill Camp in two halves. They sailed from Folkestone on the SS Servial to Boulogne escorted by two destroyers.
- 30th July 1915 9th Lancers working party
- Sheffield City Battalion leave Cannock Chase The Sheffield City Battalion undertook a 16 mile route march cross country under the blazing sun with full packs, taking six hours to complete the course. 80men suffered exhaustion and failed to complete the route. On return to Penkridge Bank Camp, they had two hours to pack up and have their meal. They then marched four miles to Rugeley station and boarded trains for the 4th Army Training Centre at South Camp, Ripon.
Sheffield City Battalion - Ralph Gibson & Paul Oldfield
- Inspection of cases unfit for trenches. Visited by Deputy Director Medical Service 8th Division who inspected cases unfit for trenches.
War diary RAMC 19th Field Ambulance, Estaires
- 1st Bn Herts relieved by the 3rd Bn Coldstream Guards The Battalion was relieved by the 3rd Bn Coldstream Guards and marched back to billets at Le Quesnoy.
War Diary of the 1st Battalion Hertfordshire Regiment
- 30th Jul 1915 19th Seige Bty RGA expect action
- 30th Jul 1915 Liquid Fire
- 30th Jul 1915 Dastardly appliances of murder
- 30th Jul 1915 Swift return to the Fray
- 30th Jul 1915 Burning Oil
- 30th Jul 1915 Counter Attack
- 30th Jul 1915 Seamonster Killed
- 30th Jul 1915 Fishing Smacks Sunk
- 30th Jul 1915 Working Parties
- 30th Jul 1915 Appointment
- 30th Jul 1915 Reinforcements
- 30th Jul 1915 Stand To
- 30th Jul 1915 Fatigues
- 30th Jul 1915 Reliefs
- 30th Jul 1915 Competition
- 30th July 1915
- 30th Jul 1915 Under Attack
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:26 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Pte. Richard Gribbin. Rifle Brigade Prince Condort's Own Regime 8th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Arthur Hollis. Kings Royal Rifle Corps 7th Battalion Rfn. Arthur Howarth. Rifle Brigade 8th Btn. Read their Story. 2nd Lt. Fredeick Ernest Marriott. Rifle Brigade 7th Battalion Cpt. Lewis Alexander McAfee. Rifle Brigade 8th Batallion Read their Story. L/Cpl. Terence McSherry. Royal Scots Fusiliers 2nd Btn. Read their Story. Sgt. Arthur William Medhurst. Kings Royal Rifle Corps 7th Btn. Read their Story. Lt. Sidney Milsom. Rifle Brigade 8th Btn. Read their Story. Rflmn. Benjamin Moulding. Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own) 7th Battalion Rifleman Charles Ringwood Pain. Rifle Brigade 7th (Service) Battalion Read their Story. Pte. Joseph Tierney. Durham Light Infantry 2nd Battalion Read their Story. Rflmn. Gilbert Tompkins. Rifle Brigade 7th Btn. Rfmn. Frank Wardhaugh. Rifle Brigade 8th Btn. Read their Story. 2nd Lt. Sidney Clayton Woodroffe. VC. Rifle Brigade 8th Btn. Read their Story.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved