The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
29th March 1917On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusiliers leave Offoy The 16th Btn Northumberland Fusiliers leave Offoy for Matigny, where they take up billets in cellars.
- SS Kathleen Lily lost SS Kathleen Lily was a British steamer of 527 tons. According to Lloyd's Shipping Register of 1916/17 the captain of the Kathleen Lily is listed as J. M. G. Bury. On 29th March 1917 on a voyage from South Shields to Rouen with a cargo of coke, she was sunk by a mine from the German submarine UC-31 (Otto von Schrader), 2 miles east of North Cheek, Robin Hood Bay. 4 persons were lost.
The Kathleen Lily struck the mine at 2.45 p.m. and began to sink quickly.
The chief officer, the senior survivor of the vessel, reported that he was below decks when a violent explosion took place. On reaching the deck he found the Master and crew of 13 struggling to free the boats, but owing to the explosion, the bolts which held the sockets of the davits loosened and the boats and davits fell. The ship was then submerged to the main mast and all hands jumped overboard. Several mine-sweepers were soon on the scene and picked up the survivors along with the bodies of the Master and three of the crew. The Chief Officer and five crew were taken to Whitby, and four other crewmen were landed at Scarborough.
- 29th March 1917 Route March
- 29th Mar 1917 Impassible Roads
- 29th Mar 1917 Under Shellfire
- 29th Mar 1917 Sirens Sound
- 29th Mar 1917 Reliefs
- 29th March 1917 Raid
- 29th Mar 1917 Training
- 29th Mar 1917 In Reserve
- 29th Mar 1917 Working Hard
- 29th of March 1917 Damaged Battery
- 29th of March 1917 Wounded at Duty
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:13 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved