The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
29th July 1915On this day:
- Daily Battery Activity 6th London Brigade RFA 6th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery record in their war diary:
The remaining section of the 15th London Battery and one section of the 16th London Battery were relieved by sections of Batteries of the 71st Brigade, RFA last night. D Battery of the 70th Brigade, RFA was in position at Vermelles, should have relieved the 17th London Battery, but having lost its way, failed to put in an appearance until 0400. As it was then daylight the relief had to be postponed.
- 13th KRRC advance party leaves camp 29th July 1915, an advance party of 108 men of the 13th KRRC left Windmill Camp with all animals and transport, bound for Le Havre.
- 9th Lancers promotions
London Gazette Extract
9th Lancers in billets North of Zeggers Cappel.
'C' Squadron training.
1 Other Rank to Hospital.
2 Lead Draught Horses received.
The following are extracts from the London Gazette dated 29th July 1915
9th (Q.R) Lancers.
Major (Bt. Lt. Col.) D.J.E. Beale-Browne to be Temporary Lt. Colonel from 8th October 1914 & 10th October 1914, and from 9th December 1914.
Lieutenant I.A. Straker to be Temporary Captain 28th June 1915.
- Advanced Dressing Post in Laventie Visited by Deputy Director Medical Services 3rd Corps and afterwards took him to the Advanced Dressing Post in Laventie, which consists of a long room which can accommodate 30-40 patients with two smaller rooms, and cellar accommodation.
Lt. Hill returned from medical charge of Royal Welsh Fusiliers on relief by Capt. Harbison returned from leave.
- 1st Bn Herts at Givenchy B1 sector The Battalion relieved the 1st Bn Kings Liverpool Regiment at Givenchy B1 sector, 3 Coys in the trenches and 1 at Le Preol.
- E Battery 3rd Brigade RHA
29th to 30th July - Crossing Canal sections complete at a time by order of Brigadier General Royal Artillery Cavalry Corps, a piece practice which did not improve either equipment or ammunition.
- 29th Jul 1915 19th Seige Bty RGA in action
- 29th Jul 1915 8th Worcesters relieve 4th Ox & Bucks
- 29th Jul 1915 In the Trenches
- 29th July 1915 Mules in the Hold
- 29th Jul 1915 Reliefs
- 29th Jul 1915 Working Parties
- 29th Jul 1915 Trench Work
- 29th Jul 1915 Under Shellfire
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved