The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
29th January 1918On this day:
- Daily Activity 9th Btn. (North Irish Horse) the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
B.22.a Centre. 1700hrs.
Battalion moves to line in relief of 14th Royal Irish Rifles (Young Citizens) in Right Battalion Sector. Boundaries: Right B.16.d.5.4, left B.9.c.8.1.
- A and C Companies in line. Boundary between Companies B.10.c.6.3;
- B Company Counter attack in dugouts,
- Headquarters, B.16.d.1.4;
- D Company Passive defence in dugouts,
- Headquarters, B.22.a Central.
Relief carried out successfully, notwithstanding condition of trenches very bad, having fallen in partly owing to weather and partly to want of attention. Wiring plentiful. Distance between enemy and our front line averages 1,000 yards.
- Zeppelin Raids on Britain On the 29th January, the first raid undertaken by Giants unaccompanied by Gothas took place. Four aircraft from Rfa 501 took off, one turning back before reaching England. Casualties and damage were light. 80 defence sorties were flown, and one Giant was attacked by no less than five aircraft, one attack succeeding in disabling one of its engines. British fighter pilots' efforts against the Giants were handicapped by poor intelligence work, although the existence of these aircraft was known, the information had not been passed on, and many pilots must have underestimated the range from which they were firing.
Tactical scheme without troops for all Officers and NCO’s except CSM’s. Scabies inspection for the men after which they do a small tactical scheme by Coy’s under the direction of the Orderly Officer and CSM’s.
- 29th Jan 1918 Relief
- 29th Jan 1918 In the Line
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:5 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved