The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
29th April 1916On this day:
- British Forces surrender at Kut After withstanding nearly five months under siege by Turkish and German forces at the town of Kut-al-Amara, on the Tigris River in the Basra province of Mesopotamia (Iraq), British forces under the command of Sir Charles Townshend surrender to Turkish forces. 13,000 men were taken prisoner by the Turks.
The British had occupied the Mesopotamian province of Basra, including the town of Kut al-Amara, by late September 1915 and the had attempted to advance up the Rivers Tigris Euphrates to Baghdad, but had been rebuffed by Turkish troops at Ctesiphon (Selman Pak) in late November. Townshend's troop were forced to retreat to Kut, and on the 5th of December they were put under siege by Turkish and German forces. During the winter the British made four attempts to overcome Turkish forces, suffering 23,000 casualties. They were also plagued by illness, dwindling supplies and heavy winter rain.
- Evening Activity 6th County of London Brigade RFA at
Carency report a few trench mortars were fired on the support lines and communication trenches at about 1400. Otherwise all was quiet.
At 1910 there was great activity on the left of the Division on our right, with heavy firing taking place.
- 29th Apr 1916 Countryside Shelled amid Fighting
- 29th April 1916 inspections and training
- 29th April 1916
- 29th Apr 1916 Accidental Death
- 29th Apr 1916 2/5th Leics on the March
- 29th Apr 1916 Surrender
- 29th Apr 1916 Gas Attack
- 29th Apr 1916 Quiet Day
- 29th Apr 1916 Reliefs
- 29th Apr 1916 In Billets
- 29th of April 1916 Supporting a Raid
- 29th of April 1916 A Lieutenant Returns
- 29th April 1916 Battalion sports meeting
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:15 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVIII
- All Rights Reserved