The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
28th June 1915On this day:
- SS Armenian lost The transport ship SS Armenian was challenged by the German submarine U-24 off Trevose Head, Cornwall, whilst sailing from Bristol with a cargo of 1,400 mules intended for the British Army in France. The crew were given time to abandon ship before U-24 fired two torpedoes into her stern, sinking the ship. Twenty nine crew members were lost.
- Leave of Absence 6th County of London Brigade RFA report
Capt P.A. Love proceeded to England on 7 days leave.
- 1st Battalion Royal Scots in France 1915. 1st Battalion Royal Scots in France 1915.
- 28th June 1915 9th Lancers Musketry Training
- Death of third sergeant Sgt Pollock died at 2 am from shock and loss of blood. It was hoped that his leg might been amputated, and although transfused with saline, no reaction (?) him before death.
Lt. Chapell Quartermaster (?) proceeded on six days leave to England, his duties being undertaken by myself.
- Message to 1st Bn Herts from Earl of Cavan Brigadier General the Earl of Cavan, C.B., M.V.O. issued the following order on relinquishing command of the 4th (Guards) Brigade; "On leaving the Brigade to take command of a Division it would not be seemly to recall the various actions since 18th September in which it has been my privilege and delight to command you but I may say - whether in action, in the trenches or in billets, no unit of the 4th (Guards) Brigade has ever disappointed me, nor has any battalion ever fallen short of that great standard set by our predecessors.
We welcomed the 1st Herts Territorials at Ypres and most worthily have they bourne their part with the rest of us.
To you all I convey the gratitude of a very full heart and I wish you Goodbye and Godspeed"
- 28th Jun 1915 19th Seige Bty RGA report blind shells
- 28th Jun 1915 7th Northumberlands Relieved
- 28th Jun 1915 British attack
- 28th Jun 1915 8th Worcs on the March
- 28th Jun 1915 Parades and Route March
- 28th Jun 1915 In Camp
- 28th Jun 1915 Trench Work
- 28th Jun 1915 Guard Duty
- 28th Jun 1915 New Billets
- 28th Jun 1915 Attack Made
- 28th Jun 1915 Trench Work
- 28th Jun 1915 Snipers
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:18 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved