The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
28th July 1916On this day:
- 11th Middlesex in action at Poziers On this day, during the battle for Poziers, the 11th Middlesex were part of Maj-Gen Scott's 12th Division which relieved the 48th division. The 48th had been in the line for twelve days and its casualties amounted to almost 2,800 all ranks. The 11th Middlesex moved over open ground to secure the extension of Western Trench in order to keep in touch with the 23rd Victoria Battalion. The attack was repelled by grenades and rifle fire.
- Relocations 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery
Sains les Pernes
Batteries at disposal of Battery Commanders.
- Medals for gunners of 125th Heavy Bty. 125th Heavy Bty RGA record in their War diary: Military Medal awarded for Unwin and Tyndall.
- Zeppelin Raids on Britain 28/29th July 1916.
On 28–29 July the first raid including one of the new R-class Zeppelins, L 31, took place. These were 196.49 m (644 ft 8 in) long, with a capacity of 55,206 cu m (1,949,600 cu ft), powered by six engines and capable of operating at 13,000 ft (4,000 m), and could carry up to four tons of bombs.
The 10-Zeppelin raid achieved very little; four turned back early and the rest wandered over a fog-shrouded landscape before giving up.
- 28th July 1916 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Coy War Diary
- 28th July 1916 Mounted work
- 28th Jul 1916 Gun Blazing
- 28th Jul 1916 Attack Expected
- 28th Jul 1916 Under Shellfire
- 28th Jul 1916 Men Withdrawn
- 28th Jul 1916 In the Trenches
- 28th Jun 1916 Reorganisation
- 28th Jul 1916 Quiet
- 28th of July 1916 Relieved
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Killed, Wounded, Missing and Prisoner Reports published this day.
This section is under construction and only available to subscribers of our Library
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved