The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
28th January 1918On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusiliers on the move 16th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers marches to Baboon Camp.
- Daily Activity 9th Btn. (North Irish Horse) the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
At 1700 the 108th Infantry Brigade relieves 109th Infantry Brigade in the right sector on January 28-30th.
- Boundaries of Right Brigade Sector:
- Right B.17.c.6.7 – B.22.a.5.0 to Essigny Station.
- Left – Boyau de Moulins (inclusive to Left Brigade)
- Boyau de Contescourt (inclusive to Left Brigade).
- Boundary between Battalions B.9.c.9.5 to B.15.a.7.5.
Brigade on right flank – 41st Infantry Brigade;left, 107th Infantry Brigade.
B.25.a/26.a. Battalion moves to Brigade support in relief of 9 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.
Transport to Artemps.
- Gotha Night raids On 28 January 1918, 13 Gothas and two Giants set off, six of the Gothas turning back because of poor visibility. Over a hundred defensive sorties were flown, resulting in one Gotha being shot down after being attacked by two Camels from 40 Squadron flown by 2nd Lts Charles Banks and George Hackwill, the first victory for night fighters over Britain.
Both pilots were awarded the DFC. 67 people were killed and 166 injured: the casualties included 14 dead and 14 injured in stampedes when people queuing for admission to shelters were alarmed by maroons set off as a warning that a raid was expected: another 11 were injured by shrapnel from antiaircraft fire. Many of the other casualties were caused by a single 300 kg bomb which fell on the Odhams printing works in Long Acre, which was being used as a shelter.
Kit & mobilization stores inspection. Reorganisation of Coy’s into 3 Platoons. Box respirator drill.
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:4 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved