The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
27th August 1914On this day:
- 26th Aug 1914 First Australian Casualty WW1
- 27th Aug 1914 Left in the Lurch
- 2nd West Surreys set sail for England HMT Kenilworth Castle left Table Bay at 7 A.M. with the 2nd West Surreys bound for England. The Fleet was formed of
HMS Astraea, HMS Hyacinth, HMT Kenilworth Castle,
HMT Balmoral Castle,
HMT Guildford Castle,
HMT Dunluce Castle,
HMT Goerka and HMT Briton.
2nd Bn Queens West Surrey Regt War Diary
- Early Skirmishes E Battery 3rd Brigade Brigade Royal Horse Artillery are in continuing action from 27th August 1914 with 3rd Cavalry Brigade. The unit came into action and fired some rounds during general retirement.
- Further retreat 2nd Battalion - Royal Irish Regiment
Thursday, August 27th, 1914 - 0200 Beaurevoir
Retired on Vermand passing through a deserted bivouac where we were able to collect a few tins of biscuits and some cooking pots. Battalion was organized in two companies.
12:00 noon Small artillery engagements commence but do not interfere with retirement
1845 Battalion halts in a field on the south side of Vermand.
2300 Retirement is continued
- 27th August 1914 Retreat from Action
- 27th Aug 1914 Flank Guard
- 27th Aug 1914 Rear Guard
- 27th Aug 1914 In Camp
- 27th Aug 1914 Prisoners Taken
- 27th Aug 1914 On the March
- 27th Aug 1914 Imperial Service
- 27th Aug 1914 On the March
- 27th August 1914 Continued withdrawals
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Killed, Wounded, Missing and Prisoner Reports published this day.
This section is under construction and only available to subscribers of our Library
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved