The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
26th November 1916On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusiliers move to Bonneville The 16th Btn Northumberland Fusilers move to Bonneville, via Beauval and Valheureux, to rest.
- Fire on Sound Bearings 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery record
Morning very quiet until 1100 when five 5.9 inch shells fell near Blaupoort Farm. This was fired repeated at 1030. The Heavy Artillery were given Sound Bearings and fired on the suspected Battery and the Howitzer ceased fire.
Visibility sketch was made from I.28.d.5.8, a proposed Observation Point on the back of Verbrandenmolen Hill to the corner of Armagh Wood site and Yeomanry Port and Observatory Ridge.
From 1000 to 1300 the Dump was shelled with single 5.9 inch shell at one round per minute.
- Advanced party from 33 Bn AIF at La Chapelle-d'Armentières Advanced party as per Battalion special order no.1 proceeded to Right (1) sector trenches La Chapelle-d'Armentières to arrange to take over from 27th Northumberland Fusiliers.
- 26th Nov 1916 Church services
- 26th Nov 1916 Ongoing work in trenches
- 26th Nov 1916 Leisure Time
- 26th Nov 1916 Ordered Issued
- 18th DLI are in the Trenches. Quiet – raining all day. Enemy shelled Hebuterne.
- 26th Nov 1916 Reliefs Completed
- 26th Nov 1916 Inspection
- 26th Nov 1916 Reliefs
- 26th of November 1916 Three Men in a Plane
- 26th of November 1916 No Damage Done
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:13 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved