The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
26th January 1916On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusilers move to Millencourt 16th Northumberlands move back to Millencourt to prepare for building a new trench system in f sector, work to start on the 2nd of Feb 1916.
records of the 16th (service) battalion northumberland fusiliers captain ch cooke mc, newcastle upon tyne 1923
- Hostile Artillery Active 6th County of London Brigade RFA report hostile artillery was again active during the day. From 1345 to 1430 enemy bombarded very heavily, the Copse, the Chalk Pit and Fosse 7 communication trenches with light high velocity guns, 4.2s, & 5.9s from Lens.
The Germans have done a lot of work in their new trenches. Observation Balloon went down as soon as the shelling ceased.
During the night new trench and saps were kept under fire.
The remaining sections of the 3rd London Brigade RFA took over from the remaining sections of the 1st London Brigade RFA
- U-Boat Index - WW1 SM U-72
Type UE 1
Shipyard Vulcan, Hamburg (Werk 56)
Ordered 6 Jan 1915
Launched 31 Oct 1915
Commissioned 26 Jan 1916
28 Jan 1916 - 17 Jul 1917 Ernst Krafft.
18 Jul 1917 - 5 Nov 1917 Johannes Feldkirchner.
6 Nov 1917 - 31 Dec 1917 Erich Schulze.
1 Jan 1918 - 31 Oct 1918 Hermann Bohm
Career 4 patrols.
11 Apr 1916 - 17 Sep 1916 I Flotilla.
17 Sep 1916 - 1 Nov 1918 Pola/Mittelmeer II Flotilla
Successes 21 ships sunk with a total of 38,596 tons.
5 ships damaged with a total of 21,513 tons.
- 7 Sep 1916 U 72 Ernst Krafft Achaia 2,733 br
- 7 Sep 1916 U 72 Ernst Krafft Hiso 1,562 nw
- 7 Sep 1916 U 72 Ernst Krafft Doreen 9 br
- 7 Sep 1916 U 72 Ernst Krafft Allegro 7 br
- 7 Sep 1916 U 72 Ernst Krafft Griffin 10 br
- 7 Sep 1916 U 72 Ernst Krafft Puffin (damaged) unknown br
- 19 Nov 1916 U 72 Ernst Krafft Maria Di Pompei 286 it
- 23 Nov 1916 U 72 Ernst Krafft Margherita F. 44 it
- 26 Nov 1916 U 72 Ernst Krafft Christoforos 3,674 gr
- 27 Nov 1916 U 72 Ernst Krafft Salvatore Ciampa 1,728 it
- 2 Dec 1916 U 72 Ernst Krafft Palermo 9,203 it
- 11 Dec 1916 U 72 Ernst Krafft Jeanne 534 it
- 14 Dec 1916 U 72 Ernst Krafft Caledonia (damaged) 7,572 br
- 3 Jun 1917 U 72 Ernst Krafft Manin B. 249 it
- 7 Jun 1917 U 72 Ernst Krafft Errington Court (damaged) 4,461 br
- 8 Jun 1917 U 72 Ernst Krafft Cheltonian 4,426 br
- 8 Jun 1917 U 72 Ernst Krafft Felicina 165 it
- 9 Jun 1917 U 72 Ernst Krafft Bravore 1,650 nw
- 9 Jun 1917 U 72 Ernst Krafft General Laurie 238 br
- 9 Jun 1917 U 72 Ernst Krafft Montebello 2,603 it
- 13 Jun 1917 U 72 Ernst Krafft Santo 622 it
- 13 Jun 1917 U 72 Ernst Krafft Biagio 276 it
- 25 Jun 1917 U 72 Ernst Krafft Southern (damaged) 5,694 br
- 7 Jul 1917 U 72 Ernst Krafft Shigizan Maru 2,828 jp
- 1 Aug 1917 U 72 Johannes Feldkirchner Rokeby (damaged) 3,786 br
- 4 Aug 1917 U 72 Johannes Feldkirchner British Monarch 5,749 br
Fate 1 Nov 1918 - Scuttled during the evacuation of Cattaro in position 42.30N, 18.41E.
There was another U 72 in World War Two.
That boat was launched from its shipyard on 22 Nov 1940 and commissioned into the Kriegsmarine on 4 Jan 1941.
- Work starts on No2 shaft for 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Coy
Wytschaete. Commenced work on No2 shaft.
War Diary Transcript
- 26th Jan 1916 Second to None
- 26th Jan 1916 Cleaning
- 26th Jan 1916 Inspection and Baths
- 26th Jan 1916 Training
- 26th Jan 1916 On Alert
- 26th Jan 1916 Trench Work
- 26th of January 1916
- 26th January 1916
- 26th Jul 1916 Cleaning
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:13 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Pte. Benjamin Brennan. Rifle Brigade 9th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. James Edward Christie. Northumberland Fusiliers 10th Btn. Stok1. James Powell. Royal Navy TB13 Read their Story. Pte. Thomas Warriner. Northumberland Fusiliers 5th Btn.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVIII
- All Rights Reserved