The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
26th January 1915On this day:
- 2nd Life Guards are to return to the trenches. The CO of the 2nd Life Guards made a thorough inspection of D squadron horses. The Brigadier called to tell us we are to return to the trenches.
- Gen. Gainsford visits Redmires Camp General Gainsford and Brigadier General Bowles visit Redmires Camp. They observed the men of the Sheffield City Battalion undertaking drill on the parade ground and physical training. They also visited Quarry Hill a short distance from the camp where two platoons from B Company were engaged in digging trenches.
Sheffield City Battalion - Ralph Gibson & Paul Oldfield
- Opening of convalescent ward - Armentières Lieut. H V Soltau RAMC (SR) reported his arrival and posted to ? medical charge of Sherwood Foresters in relief of Lieut. Perry proceeding on 8 days leave.
Capt. Nicholls and Lieut. Haydon placed on sick list today.
Convalescent ward opened in the École Professionale today and staff of 1 MO, 1 NCO and 3 men appointed for duty there. Slight cases both medical and surgical will be kept there in future and returned to their units without having to be sent down to the ?
War Diary RAMC 19th Field Ambulance
- 1st Bn Herts CO appointed Brigadier General The commanding Officer, Lieut. Col. The Viscount Hampden returned to England to take up an appointment as Brigadier General.
War Diary of the 1st Battalion Hertfordshire Regiment
- 26th Jan 1915 2nd Queens parade
- 26th Jan 1915 Heavy Fighting
- 26th Jan 1915 Patrol Enagages Enemy
- 26th Jan 1915 Casualties
- 26th Jan 1915 In the Trenches
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:9 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVIII
- All Rights Reserved