The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
25th January 1917On this day:
- Hostile Artillery 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery report
Hostile artillery (77mm 4.2 inch and 5.9 inch) bombarded B236 Battery and D236 Battery at Woodcote House and vicinity with about three hundred rounds, causing four casualties (three in D236 and one in B236)- all slight.
Three direct hits were obtained on pits but only one gun was put out of action. A four point two fuse( for 4.2 inch shell)was found after this bombardment set to explode at 4 or 75 metres.
- HMS Laurentic lost On the outbreak of World War I in 1914, the White Star liner RMS Laurentic was requisitioned by the Admiralty as an armed merchant cruiser. On 25th January 1917 she struck a mine off Lough Swilly on the northern coast of County Donegal, Ireland and sank with the loss of 350 persons. HMS Laurentic was travelling to New York and her cargo included a substantial amount of gold bullion that was later recovered.
- 33rd Battalion AIF relief completed Relief of 35th Battalion completed as per Bn 0.0 No. 10. Cf Intelligence summary dated 26/1/17 (No. 5)
- 25th January 1917 33rd Battalion AIF Interligence Summary
- 25th January 1917 COs Conference on training schemes
- 25th January 1917 Routine inspection
- 25th Jan 1917 Artillery in Action
- 25th Jan 1917 Working Parties
- 25th of January 1917 Enemy Shelling
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:9 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved