The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
25th December 1917On this day:
- 25th Dec 1917 On Leave
- Daily Activity 9th Btn. (North Irish Horse) the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
Battalion paraded for Divine Services at 1000.
Christmas dinners by Companies between 1300 and 1500. The Commanding Officer was present at each Company dinner.
Snowed heavily during the evening.
- Deepdale hosts Ladies Match A Ladies XI from Dick, Kerr & Co muntions factory in Preston, took part in a charty football match against the ladies team from the Arundel Coulthard Factory. The match was plated at Deepdale, the home of Preston North End and was watched by a crowd of 10,000. £600 was raised (£38,000 in todays money) for the Moor Park hospital. Dick Kerr's ladies won the game 4-0.
- 25th Dec 1917 Church Parade and Football
- 25th Dec 1917 On the Move
Working parties as on the 24th. Men received a special Xmas dinner, and concert by the OWLS in the afternoon.
- 25th Dec 1917 Joyous Christmas
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:7 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved