The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
24th September 1917On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusiliers move from trrenches The 16th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers leave the trenches in the Lombartzyde sector and move into the reserve at Nieuport where they are engaged in working and carrying parties.
- Quiet 9th Royal Irish Fusiliers report "The day was very fine and quiet in trenches.
A German plane was brought down by one of ours apparently in our lines near Hermies.
2nd Lieutenant Gilliard and seven Other Ranks patrolled between 2200 and 0010 the night of 24/25th near Dean Copse with no casualties."
9th Royal Irish Fusiliers diary WO 95/2505/2
- Gotha Night raids Six raids followed at the end of September. These included the first raids on England by the enormous Zeppelin-Staaken R-planes of Riesenflugzeug-Abteilung 501. On 24 September 16 Gothas set off: 13 reached England, most bombing Dover and othe targets in Kent, with only five reaching London.
This coincided with an unsuccessful Zeppelin attack on the Midlands.
- 24th September 1917 Training courses
- 24th Sep 1917 Heavy Shelling
- 24th Sep 1917 Registration Impossible
- IN SUPPORT ARLEUX SECTOR
Weather continued fine & bright, though lot of ground mist in early morning. Our artillery in conjunction with aeroplanes very active. Casualties nil.
The National Archives Reference WO95/2361/1
- 24th Sep 1917 Preparations for Attack
- 24th Sep 1917 Reliefs
- 24th Sep 1917 On the March
- 24th Sep 1917 Training
- 24th Sep 1917 In Reserve
- 24th of September 1917 Arrived Acq
- 24 Sep 1917 Relief
- 24th Sep 1917 In Action
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:15 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. 2nd Lt. William James Beaton. Machine Gun Corps 174th Coy Read their Story. Gnr. Ivor Wynne Griffiths. Royal Garrison Artillery Gnr. James Sewell. Royal Field Artillery 102nd Brigade Spr. L. H. Sim. 1st Canadian Tunnelling Coy. Pte. R. E. Stephenson. Army Veterinary Corps Station Vet, Hosp. Larkhill Pte. Frederick William Tower. North Staffordshire Regiment 9th Btn. Read their Story.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved