The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
24th October 1917On this day:
- Italian defeat at Caporetto The Italian army suffers a heavy defeat at the Battle of Caporetto. The Germans brought forces up to aid the Austro-Hungarian army in the Isonzo area and made a mass attack on the weakest point of the Italian front line near Caporetto. Aided by mist, on the 24th of October the German attack completely surprised the Italians. The Italian Cadorna ordered the commander at Caporetto to man a defensive line. However, the commander, Capello, ignored an order to man a defensive line and adopted a costly policy of aggression. By the end of the day, the Germans forces near Caporetto had advanced 25 kilometres.
- Daily Activity 9th Btn. (North Irish Horse) the Royal Irish Fusiliers.
Havrincourt Wood, K.31.c.0.0.
The Battalion relieved the 12th Royal Irish Rifles in the line with relief completed at 2230.
- A Company Yorkshire Bank, one Platoon in reserve in Cheetham Switch, north of Henley Avenue;
- B Company on right, two Platoons in front line, one Platoon in reserve line;
- C Company in reserve;
- D Company in R3, with one Platoon in mined dugout at J.36.b.10.20.
No casualties during a quiet night.
- 24th Oct 1917 Cleaning and Training
- 24th Oct 1917 Gun Mounted
- FRONT LINE
Quiet until 2.0pm when enemy artillery fired a few shots 77mm & 4.2s on BRANDY & BRITANNIA and later put down barrage on our lines travelling from South to North, evidently in retaliation for our wire cutting. Battalion trench strength during this was varied between 340 & 350.
- 24th Oct 1917 Dull Day
- 24th Oct 1917 Training
- 24th Oct 1917 Patrols
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:8 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved