The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
24th November 1916On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusiliers relieved by 2nd Gordons The 16th Btn Northumberland Fusilers are relieved by 2nd Btn Gordon Highlanders ("one of the finest battalions we met in France"). The Northumberlands move to Raincheval via Mailly-Maillet.
- Daily Battery Activity 236th London Brigade 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery at Ypres. Hostile Trench Mortars became active at 1450. Scheme two was ordered and enemy silenced.
He appeared to retaliate for scheme two further to the right. At 1550 scheme six was ordered and was effective, but almost immediately a heavy bombardment broke out from Knoll Road to the Dump with the enemy using Trench Mortars, 4.2 inch and 77 mm guns. The Division on our Right retaliated and all was quiet by 1645.
- 33 Bn AIF arrive late at Bailleul 33rd Btn AIF halted at Abbeville at 6 am for 45 minutes.
Arrived Bailleul 2 pm. Detrained. Proceeded to billets.
Guides took wrong road. Battalion did not arrive at billets till 9 pm. Battalion HQ at La Blanc M****?
War Diary of 33rd Btn Australian Imperial Force, Abbeville & Bailleul
- 6th Sherwoods in Neuvillette An inscription carved into the wall of a small gate house on the Rue du Chateau in Neuvillette reads: Pte C Niven, 1/6th Sher. For. Nov 24th 16.
They were obviously here just after the battle of the Somme.
- 24th November 1916 Relief and casualties
- 24th November 1916 Brigade Pioneer Battalion Parade
- 24th Nov 1916 Football
Quiet Ė some more rain. Trenches began falling in and got very muddy. 4 OR wounded by grenade. Patrols out reconnoitring No Manís Land.
The National Archives Reference WO95/2361/1
- 24th Nov 1916 On the March
- 24th Nov 1916 Training
- 24th Nov 1916 Reliefs
- 24th Nov 1916 Artillery Active
- 24th November 1916 Hostile TMs
- 24th of November 1916 Good Results
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved