The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
24th June 1916On this day:
- Wire Shelled 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery at
Aix Noulette (War Diary very faint)
All batteries of this group shelled wire ---- to ---- zones.
Y/47 Trench Mortar Battery (Lt Brown) fired 50 rounds wire registering and retaliation on enemy trench mortars. Much less aerial activity owing to bad weather. Lt Brown attached to Y047 Trench Mortar Battery.
A gun of Y047 Trench Mortar Battery blew up killing the Bombardier in charge of the gun.
- 22nd Northumberlands on the march 22nd Northumberland Fusiliers march to Bresle.
- Somme bombardment U day:
42nd Siege Battery RGA under Major WN Burden OC Battery, had 4 x 9.2 Howitzers in action from the start of the Somme bombardment.
- 24th June 1916 Brigade moves by stages to new Billets
- 24th Jun 1916 1st Bty RFA in action
- 24th Jun 1916 Midnight News
- 24th Jun 1916 Normal Duty
- 24th Jun 1916 Seething with Troops
- 24th Jun 1916 Working Party Shelled
- U Day On the Somme the count down to the Big Push begins. Allied artillery bombard the enemy trenches and the infantry undertake final preparations.
- 24th Jun 1916 Thunderstorm
- 24th Jun 1916 Trench Mortars
- 24th Jun 1916 Artillery In Action
- 24th Jun 1916 Men Addressed
- 24th Jun 1916 Under Shellfire
- 24th Jun 1916 Training and Baths
- 24th Jun 1916 Excerise
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:17 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Cpl. Robert Gray Emmerson. Durham Light Infantry 10th Battalion Read their Story. Pte. A. English. Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 1st/8th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. John Roulston. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 9th Btn.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved